Connect with us


BIG STORY

Makinde, myself Will Be Perfect Match For 2027 Election — Bauchi Governor Bala Mohammed

Published

on

Bauchi State Governor, Bala Mohammed, has said he and Oyo State Governor, Seyi Makinde, would make a “perfect match” on a joint ticket if the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) presents them in the 2027 presidential election.

In an interview on Channels Television’s Politics Today on Thursday, Mohammed dismissed claims that he had already been picked as Makinde’s running mate, but admitted that the possibility remains open for the party.

He maintained that the PDP must field a Christian candidate from the South as president, with a Muslim candidate from the North as vice president, in order to reflect Nigeria’s diversity and avoid the controversy surrounding a Muslim-Muslim ticket.

According to him, “A Seyi Makinde–Bala Mohammed ticket can even match better. What Nigerians need is capacity and pedigree, which Seyi and I have demonstrated at the subnational level. But beyond us, there are several credible options within the PDP. What matters is that the party remains open and inclusive.”

The Bauchi governor further stressed that the PDP would not repeat what he described as the ruling APC’s “mistake” in 2023, noting that zoning and religious considerations must guide the party’s choice of candidates.

BIG STORY

40-Year-Old US-Based Nigerian Daniel Chima Risks 20-Year Jail Term Over ‘$405,000 Romance Scam’

Published

on

Daniel Chima Inweregbu, a 40-year-old Nigerian, has pleaded guilty to multiple fraud charges in the United States, according to the Department of Justice (DOJ).

US prosecutors said Inweregbu conspired to commit mail and wire fraud, while also using a false identity to carry out a romance scam that ran from July 2017 to December 2018.

The scheme, which cost victims over $405,000, involved Inweregbu and his partners contacting Americans through email and messaging platforms. They pretended to be “Larry Pham,” built online romantic relationships, and then tricked victims into sending money to bank accounts they controlled.

Once received, the funds were laundered through intermediaries to conceal their source, ownership, and movement, the DOJ added.

According to court filings:

  • Count 1 carries up to 20 years in prison, three years of supervised release, and a fine of $250,000.
  • Count 12 also carries up to 20 years in prison, with a fine of up to $500,000.
  • He must also pay a mandatory $100 special assessment fee for each count.

Sentencing has been fixed for December 4, 2025, before Judge Brown.

This is not Inweregbu’s first conviction. In December 2020, a Federal High Court in Lagos sentenced him to 18 months in prison (with an option of a ₦300,000 fine) for a similar romance scam. He was also ordered to refund $15,000 to the US Consulate.

Continue Reading

BIG STORY

Most Trump Tariffs Are Illegal, US Court Rules

Published

on

A US appeals court has ruled that most of former President Donald Trump’s sweeping tariffs are unconstitutional.

Back in April, Trump announced global tariffs on all imports into the United States, including a 14% levy on Nigerian goods. Since then, he has alternated between rolling back some measures and intensifying others.

Trump had argued that the tariffs were legally justified under the International Emergency Economic Powers Act (IEEPA), which empowers the president to act against “unusual and extraordinary” threats.

But in a 7–4 ruling, the Washington appeals court disagreed, holding that Trump exceeded his authority. The judges noted that the IEEPA “neither mentions tariffs (or any of its synonyms) nor has procedural safeguards that contain clear limits on the president’s power to impose tariffs.”

However, the panel stopped short of cancelling the tariffs outright, leaving room for a potential appeal before the US Supreme Court.

Reacting on Truth Social, Trump insisted his tariffs remain intact:
“ALL TARIFFS ARE STILL IN EFFECT!”

“If these Tariffs ever went away, it would be a total disaster for the Country. It would make us financially weak, and we have to be strong,” he wrote.

The former president also expressed confidence that the Supreme Court would eventually uphold his tariff policies.

Continue Reading

BIG STORY

Music Industry Is Filled With Darkness — Tiwa Savage

Published

on

Tiwa Savage, the award-winning Nigerian singer, has spoken out about challenges in the music industry, describing it as “filled with darkness.”

During an Instagram Live session, the You 4 Me crooner said her faith in God has helped her remain grounded and prevented her from “falling” despite the negative influences she has observed.

She explained:
“This industry is filled with so much darkness. I wish you guys knew, so much darkness. But I thank God that I’ve kept my eyes on Him. I haven’t fallen.”

Savage also addressed reactions to her latest project This One Is Personal, revealing that some critics dismissed the album because it lacked “big-name features.”

According to her, she intentionally chose to create a deeply personal record without club hits, focusing instead on authenticity. She emphasized that she values having genuine supporters more than having a massive fan base.

She said:
“When I put out the track list of my album, I saw so many people saying I didn’t feature the big names from America or the A-listers.”

“They just automatically concluded that because I don’t have those features on the album, it’s not going to be good.”

“I wish people understood music the way I understand it. Yes, I don’t have huge cosigns, and I wasn’t actively seeking them. All I have is all I have, isn’t it?”

“Honestly, having you guys is enough for me. Sometimes, like they say, you don’t need a lot of people, you just need the right people. I don’t need millions of fans, I just need the right ones.”

Reflecting on the album’s journey, she disclosed that it took more than two years to complete and involved many setbacks, doubts, and discouragement from those who felt a vulnerable project would not succeed commercially.

“There were so many hurdles I wish I could tell you guys about—the fights, the challenges, the people who doubted me and told me that doing this type of vulnerable record wouldn’t work, that nobody would listen or care.”

“People just want to hear gbedu, bangers, and club records. I don’t have any club records, and they said it wasn’t going to work, that people wouldn’t stream it.”

This is not the first time Tiwa Savage has raised concerns about the music scene. Back in January, she had described the industry as being “filled with dangerous sharks.”

Continue Reading


 


 

 

 

Join Us On Facebook

Most Popular