Warning: Undefined array key "slug" in /home/porsch10/public_html/wp-includes/class-wp-theme-json.php on line 2102

Warning: Undefined array key "slug" in /home/porsch10/public_html/wp-includes/class-wp-theme-json.php on line 2102

Warning: Undefined array key "slug" in /home/porsch10/public_html/wp-includes/class-wp-theme-json.php on line 2102
History: London Museum Transfers Ownership Of Looted Benin Artifacts To Nigeria [PHOTOS]
Connect with us


BIG STORY

History: London Museum Transfers Ownership Of Looted Benin Artifacts To Nigeria [PHOTOS]

Published

on

The Horniman Museum, based in south-east London, the United Kingdom, has kick-started the process of returning looted Benin bronzes to Nigeria.

NAN reports that the ownership of 72 artifacts forcefully taken from Benin in 1897 was handed over to the Nigerian government on Monday.

The museum was quoted as saying the gesture is a “moral and appropriate” response to the request for repatriation by Nigeria’s National Commission for Museums and Monuments (NCMM).

Godwin Obaseki, Edo state governor, Nick Merriman, chief executive of the Horniman Museum and Gardens, and Abba Tijani, NCMM director-general, were present at the handover ceremony.

Merriman, who said the Horniman had been an “excellent example” of leadership, stated that “journalists who ask me about the Benin return always want to ask me about the British Museum.

“I would rather talk about what an excellent example the Horniman is rather than answer questions about the British Museum.”

NAN reports that an agreement between the NCMM and the Horniman will allow most of the artifacts to stay in Britain on loan, with the second phase of physical repatriations to follow in due course.

The NCMM director-general added that about 5,000 Benin bronzes are currently “scattered” around the world.

BIG STORY

JUST IN: Tinubu Approves Establishment Of Committee To Oversee Implementation Of Tax Reforms

Published

on

President Bola Tinubu has approved the establishment of the National Tax Policy Implementation Committee (NTPIC), a new body tasked with overseeing the execution of the administration’s tax reforms.

The development was announced on Friday in a statement issued by Bayo Onanuga, the president’s special adviser on information and strategy. He said the committee is expected to drive the implementation of the government’s tax initiatives in alignment with the economic priorities of both the administration and the Nigerian people.

According to the statement, the NTPIC will coordinate and monitor ongoing reforms aimed at strengthening the national tax system, enhancing revenue mobilisation, and supporting broader economic objectives.

 

More to come…

Continue Reading

BIG STORY

Ndume Backs Withdrawal Of Police From VIPs, Says ‘Some Ministers Attach Officers To Wives, Children’

Published

on

Ali Ndume, the senator representing Borno South, has declared his full support for the directive ordering the withdrawal of police officers attached to very important persons (VIPs) across the country. His remarks followed President Bola Tinubu’s instruction on Sunday directing the removal of police personnel from VIP protection roles.

The presidency had earlier explained that the withdrawn officers would be redeployed to core policing functions as part of efforts to address rising insecurity. According to Bayo Onanuga, the president’s special adviser on information and strategy, the measure forms part of a broader national security strategy aimed at strengthening police efficiency and improving public safety.

The Inspector-General of Police (IGP), Kayode Egbetokun, subsequently confirmed that 11,566 officers had been withdrawn in compliance with the presidential directive. He stated that the reassigned personnel would reinforce frontline security operations nationwide.

Speaking during an appearance on Channels Television’s programme, Politics Today, Ndume described the directive as one of Tinubu’s “most commendable decisions” and urged immediate implementation. He noted that many VIPs, including some ministers, had officers attached not only to themselves but also to their spouses and children.

Ndume said he expected to see an immediate reduction in police presence around government institutions. “We should see it on the ground,” he said, adding that he was surprised to still find numerous police officers around the National Assembly on Thursday.

The lawmaker revealed that he had personally rejected the number of officers previously assigned to him. “I was attached three policemen but that was a big crowd for me so I refused,” he said. He explained that he insisted on having only an orderly if any security personnel were to be assigned to him.

Ndume further argued that the role of an attached officer is primarily to monitor movement rather than provide personal protection. He maintained that all officers deployed to VIP security assignments should be withdrawn and returned to community policing functions.

He criticised what he described as excessive privilege among some public officials, noting that some lawmakers and ministers have police officers assigned to their wives and children. “What’s their business with that?” he asked.

The senator recalled visiting the home of a colleague and discovering “more than 10 policemen” assigned to him despite the colleague being junior to him in the Senate hierarchy. He added that some VIP convoys were so large that they created the impression that the president or vice-president was travelling.

Ndume argued that even the president’s own convoy required downsizing, insisting that national security resources should be focused on safeguarding communities rather than individuals. “Secure the place and when the president goes, you withdraw,” he said.

He concluded that Nigeria’s security architecture must prioritise territorial safety, noting that once a city like Abuja is effectively secured, residents would be able to move freely, including at night. He added that such an approach aligns with security practices in many other countries.

Continue Reading

BIG STORY

US Orders Review Of All Green Cards Issued To Migrants From 19 Countries, Exempts Nigeria [SEE FULL LIST]

Published

on

The United States government has ordered a comprehensive review of all Green Cards issued to citizens of 19 countries following Wednesday’s attack on National Guard troops in Washington, D.C. The decision was made public on Thursday as authorities identified the suspect as a 29-year-old Afghan national who previously worked with American forces in Afghanistan.

According to AfghanEvac, an organisation involved in relocating Afghans after the 2021 Taliban takeover, the suspect received asylum in April 2025 rather than permanent residency.

In a statement released on X, the Director of the US Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS), Joseph Edlow, said, “I have directed a full-scale, rigorous re-examination of every Green Card for every alien from every country of concern.” He added that the directive followed the president’s order to heighten scrutiny of migrants from specific nations.

The report notes that an earlier directive had already placed nearly all nationals from 12 countries, including Afghanistan, under a full travel ban.

Below is the complete breakdown of the affected countries as structured under the new review:

Countries with Full Travel Ban (12)

Afghanistan

Myanmar

Chad

Congo-Brazzaville

Equatorial Guinea

Eritrea

Haiti

Iran

Libya

Somalia

Sudan

Yemen

Countries with Partial Ban (7)

Burundi

Cuba

Laos

Sierra Leone

Togo

Turkmenistan

Venezuela

The announcement marks a significant expansion of the administration’s immigration restrictions, which officials say are part of broader efforts to reassess vetting procedures following the Washington attack. Authorities added that the review would complement ongoing measures aimed at tightening entry requirements for individuals from nations classified as high-risk.

Continue Reading


 

 


M

 

 

 

 

Join Us On Facebook

Most Popular