Connect with us


BIG STORY

Fuel Imports Hit 2.3bn Litres Despite Local Production

Published

on

Despite the commencement of petrol production by two major refineries in Nigeria in the last three months, oil marketers have continued to import and distribute the product nationwide.

According to The Punch, marketers imported “2.3 billion litres” of petrol between September 11 and December 5, 2024.

The continued importation of petrol is contrary to a public announcement by some groups of marketers who earlier stated their intention to halt petrol imports and focus on domestic supply.

The local refineries are the 650,000 barrel per day capacity Dangote Petroleum Refinery located in Lagos and the 210,000bpd capacity Port Harcourt Refining Company in Rivers State. PHRC currently produces from its old plant with a capacity of 60,000bpd.

The Dangote refinery began selling petrol in September, while the Area 5 facility of the Port Harcourt refinery started operations last Tuesday.

Despite this, recent findings (by The Punch) revealed that in the past three days alone, a total of 52,000 metric tonnes of petrol were brought into the country.

About “1322.76 litres” of petrol weighs one metric tonne. This implies that 68.74 million litres of imported fuel was brought in by dealers in three days.

For decades, Nigeria depended on the import of petroleum products to meet local demands. The situation remained even after the commencement of production by the Dangote refinery in September because of its price and insufficient output. During this period, the Nigerian National Petroleum Company Limited was the sole off-taker from the refinery.

But after intense discussions, the Federal Government, in a statement from the finance ministry on October 11, 2024, announced that oil marketers were now free to negotiate the purchase of petrol directly from the Dangote refinery without recourse to NNPC.

This allowed for direct negotiations. Already the Independent Petroleum Marketers Association of Nigeria has signed an agreement with the refinery for product offtake, with negotiations ongoing with the Petroleum Products Retail Outlets Owners Association of Nigeria.

Amid these, oil marketers promised to stop fuel imports and focus solely on domestic supply.

Last week, the PETROAN National President, Billy Gillis-Harry, told our correspondent that its members would temporarily suspend the importation of petrol for the next 180 days due to the coming onstream of the Dangote and Port Harcourt refineries and production ramp-up plans by the refineries.

Similarly, major petroleum marketers announced a suspension of petrol imports following a significant boost in local supply from the Dangote Refinery, which has ramped up its operations.

The association, at a webinar last week, said its members have sourced a total of “148 million litres” of petrol from the Dangote refinery over the past 10 weeks, contributing to a major shift in the country’s fuel supply dynamics.

IPMAN is yet to secure an import licence.

But fresh findings, utilising documents obtained from the Nigerian Port Authority, on Wednesday, showed that marketers have continued fuel imports.

The products were conveyed in three vessels and berthed at the Apapa Port in Lagos State, Tin Can Port in Lagos State, and the Calabar Port in Cross Rivers.

An analysis of the document showed that on Tuesday, December 3, 2024, a ship named Binta Saleh carrying “12,000MT” (“15.864 million litres”) of petrol berthed at the Apapa port at 8:12 am. The vessel had Blue Seas Maritime as its agent and was handled at the Bulk Oil Plant terminal.

On Wednesday, December 4, 2024, another vessel named Shamal brought in “20,000mt” (“26.44 million litres”) of petrol through the Tin Can port at midnight. The ship was handled by the Peak Shipping Agency at Terminal KLT Phase 3a.

Similarly, another vessel named Watson will bring in “20,000MT” (“26.44 million litres”) of refined fuel today (Thursday) by 4:52 pm at the Calabar port. The agent, Kach Maritime, will handle the vessel at the Ecomarine Terminal.

This development indicates that the recent conversation organised by the NNPCL Group Chief Executive Officer, Mele Kyari, and the Nigerian Midstream and Downstream Petroleum Regulatory Authority to eliminate the importation of petrol into the country may have ended in limbo.

The meeting attended by representatives of the Major Oil Marketers Association of Nigeria, Depot and Petroleum Products Marketers Association of Nigeria, and key stakeholders from companies such as 11 Plc, Matrix, and AA Rano, was in growing confidence of Dangote Refinery’s ability to meet the nation’s domestic fuel demand and the need to cut fuel imports.

One of the major marketers who attended the meeting confirmed to our correspondents that the discussion was still ongoing on the plan.

In the month of September, precisely on September 18, three major oil marketers brought in 141 million litres following the full deregulation of the downstream oil sector by the Federal Government.

The marketer stated that each vessel would bring in about “35,000 metric tonnes” of PMS, making a total of “105,000 metric tonnes” (“141 million litres”).

Between October 1 and November 11, 2024, more than two billion litres of petrol were imported by the Nigerian National Petroleum Company Limited and other marketers.

Documents obtained showed that NNPC and its partners imported “1.5 million metric tonnes” of PMS, “414,018.764 metric tonnes” of diesel, and “13,500 metric tonnes” of jet fuel. This is worth about “N3tn” or “$1.8bn.”

In October, NNPCL and its partners imported a total of “994,446.438 metric tonnes” of PMS, with Lagos receiving “555,121.617 metric tonnes,” Warri “281,100 metric tonnes,” Port Harcourt “94,224.821 metric tonnes,” and Calabar “64,000 metric tonnes.”

A total of “285,518.764 metric tonnes” of diesel was also imported, with Lagos receiving “162,500 metric tonnes,” Warri “58,500 metric tonnes,” Port Harcourt “56,018.764 metric tonnes,” and Calabar “8,500 metric tonnes.”

Between November 1 and November 11, a further “358,083 metric tonnes” of PMS, “112,500 metric tonnes” of diesel, and “13,500 metric tonnes” of aviation fuel were discharged at Nigerian ports.

Also, between November 23 and November 28, “78,800 metric tonnes” representing “105.67m litres” of petrol were discharged at the nation’s sea borders for onward distribution.

BIG STORY

37-Year-Old American Nicholas Giroux Jailed For Life Over Murder Of Nigerian boxer Olugbemi

Published

on

A 37-year-old man, Nicholas Giroux, has been sentenced to life imprisonment plus an additional 20 years for killing Nigerian-American boxer, Isaiah Olugbemi, in Anne Arundel County, Maryland.

According to the Anne Arundel County State’s Attorney’s Office, Giroux received the sentence on Friday from Judge Richard Trunnell after pleading guilty to first-degree murder and use of a firearm in a violent crime. The prison terms will run consecutively.

Olugbemi, 27, a father and highly regarded amateur boxer, was shot several times by Giroux on June 17, 2024, along Meadowmist Way in Odenton. He later died from his injuries at the R. Adams Cowley Shock Trauma Center in Baltimore.

Surveillance video revealed Giroux approaching Olugbemi, firing multiple rounds until he collapsed, and then discharging three more shots before fleeing. Police later recovered 9mm casings from the crime scene.

Investigators noted that Giroux had previously confronted Olugbemi and a neighbour at a cookout about two weeks earlier, where he displayed a firearm, though he did not fire it at that time.

Following the shooting, Giroux confessed during interrogation and directed authorities to the location of the gun he used.

Describing the murder, State’s Attorney Anne Colt Leitess called it “cruel and senseless,” stressing that the victim had a bright future in boxing.

“Mr. Olugbemi was a father and a rising star in amateur boxing. The callousness and lack of remorse on the part of this Defendant is really disturbing. He deserves this sentence. And to the family and friends of Mr. Olugbemi, I hope that today provides some sense of justice for this terrible ordeal,” Leitess said.

The case was prosecuted by Assistant State’s Attorney Carolynn Grammas, with homicide detectives from the Anne Arundel County Police Department leading the investigation.

Continue Reading

BIG STORY

40-Year-Old US-Based Nigerian Daniel Chima Risks 20-Year Jail Term Over ‘$405,000 Romance Scam’

Published

on

Daniel Chima Inweregbu, a 40-year-old Nigerian, has pleaded guilty to multiple fraud charges in the United States, according to the Department of Justice (DOJ).

US prosecutors said Inweregbu conspired to commit mail and wire fraud, while also using a false identity to carry out a romance scam that ran from July 2017 to December 2018.

The scheme, which cost victims over $405,000, involved Inweregbu and his partners contacting Americans through email and messaging platforms. They pretended to be “Larry Pham,” built online romantic relationships, and then tricked victims into sending money to bank accounts they controlled.

Once received, the funds were laundered through intermediaries to conceal their source, ownership, and movement, the DOJ added.

According to court filings:

  • Count 1 carries up to 20 years in prison, three years of supervised release, and a fine of $250,000.
  • Count 12 also carries up to 20 years in prison, with a fine of up to $500,000.
  • He must also pay a mandatory $100 special assessment fee for each count.

Sentencing has been fixed for December 4, 2025, before Judge Brown.

This is not Inweregbu’s first conviction. In December 2020, a Federal High Court in Lagos sentenced him to 18 months in prison (with an option of a ₦300,000 fine) for a similar romance scam. He was also ordered to refund $15,000 to the US Consulate.

Continue Reading

BIG STORY

Most Trump Tariffs Are Illegal, US Court Rules

Published

on

A US appeals court has ruled that most of former President Donald Trump’s sweeping tariffs are unconstitutional.

Back in April, Trump announced global tariffs on all imports into the United States, including a 14% levy on Nigerian goods. Since then, he has alternated between rolling back some measures and intensifying others.

Trump had argued that the tariffs were legally justified under the International Emergency Economic Powers Act (IEEPA), which empowers the president to act against “unusual and extraordinary” threats.

But in a 7–4 ruling, the Washington appeals court disagreed, holding that Trump exceeded his authority. The judges noted that the IEEPA “neither mentions tariffs (or any of its synonyms) nor has procedural safeguards that contain clear limits on the president’s power to impose tariffs.”

However, the panel stopped short of cancelling the tariffs outright, leaving room for a potential appeal before the US Supreme Court.

Reacting on Truth Social, Trump insisted his tariffs remain intact:
“ALL TARIFFS ARE STILL IN EFFECT!”

“If these Tariffs ever went away, it would be a total disaster for the Country. It would make us financially weak, and we have to be strong,” he wrote.

The former president also expressed confidence that the Supreme Court would eventually uphold his tariff policies.

Continue Reading


 


 

 

 

Join Us On Facebook

Most Popular