Connect with us


BIG STORY

Corps Members Can Be Mobilized For War, They Are Part Of National Defence Policy —- NYSC DG

Published

on

The Director-General of the National Youth Service Corps, Brig. Gen Shuaibu Ibrahim, says corps members are part of the national defence policy of Nigeria and can be mobilised for war if need be.

Ibrahim said this on Channels Television’s ‘Sunrise Daily’ programme on Wednesday while reacting to moves to scrap the NYSC scheme which is compulsory for all Nigerians who graduate before the age of 30.

The NYSC boss said, “Corps members are on reserve. They are part of the national defence policy of this country. So, where there is serious war, our corps members are educated, they are knowledgeable and they can be trained. You see the drill and so on.

“You can imagine within the short three weeks in the orientation camps, the corps members are moulded. They are like soldiers. You see female corps members blowing the army horn, playing with the military band.

“So, if not for the knowledge, where are you going to mobilise such young Nigerians to train them quickly to put in their best for the country? So, corps members are on reserve. They are also part of the national defence policy.”

He said the NYSC is concerned about the security of corps members and that is why they had been advised not to move around at night.

Ibrahim argued that the NYSC had become more important than ever in the face of the rising calls for secession.

The NYSC boss stated that he had advised corps members not to travel outside the state or the country without the permission of the state coordinator.

He added that corps members had been urged not to travel after 6 pm and they are free to sleep at any corpers’ lodge while travelling.

Ibrahim said corps members had played a huge role in educating children in Internally Displaced Persons’ camps.

The NYSC boss maintained that the insecurity in the country was not enough reason to scrap the scheme, adding that to date, 75 per cent of corps members are still serving in rural areas across the country.

He added that he had proposed a National Youth Trust Fund through which loans would be given to corps members to start businesses after completing the mandatory programme.

Ibrahim said the scheme had been able to foster national unity and cohesion, adding that many corps members had found love in the various orientation camps and married.

“There are a lot of inter-marriages. For most of our females, the history of their marriages can be traced to their service year because they meet their fiancées during their service year. I have had cause to attend such weddings and the NYSC supports such weddings,” he said.

BIG STORY

World Bank Debars Nine Nigerian Companies Over Corrupt and Fraudulent Practices [FULL LIST]

Published

on

The World Bank has debarred nine Nigerian individuals and firms from executing any contract with it for engaging in corrupt, fraudulent, and collusive practices.

This is contained in its recent report titled ‘Sanctions System Annual Report for Fiscal Year 2021’.

This report covers the Fiscal Year 2021 (FY21) — from July 1, 2020, to June 30, 2021 — and was prepared by the offices of the World Bank Group’s (WBG) sanctions system.

“In the fiscal year 2021, the World Bank Group sanctioned 57 firms and individuals, of which 54 were debarred with conditional release, making them ineligible to participate in projects and operations financed by institutions of the World Bank Group. In addition, three firms were sanctioned with conditional non-debarment, leaving them eligible to participate in World Bank Group-financed operations after meeting certain agreed-upon conditions,” the report reads.

In addition to the debarments, eight Nigerian companies debarred by the African Development Bank (AfDB) were also recognized by World Bank under the cross-debarment policy.

Cross-debarment is the recognition of debarment decisions by signatories to the Agreement for Mutual Enforcement of Debarment Decisions on the same terms as the initial decision.

“The institution also recognized 92 cross-debarments from other multilateral development banks (MDBs), while 45 World Bank Group debarments were eligible for recognition by other MDB,” the report adds.

They are Sangtech International Services Limited, Sangar & Associates (Nigeria) Limited, Mashad Integrated And Investment Co Limited, and Medniza Global Merchants Limited — all banned for two years.

Others include ALG Global Concept Nigeria Limited, Abuharaira Labaran Gero, Qualitrends Global Solutions Nigeria Limited, and Maxicare Company Nigeria Limited. These firms are ineligible to participate in projects and operations financed by institutions of the World Bank for three years.

Speaking on the report, David Malpass, World Bank president, said; “The World Bank Group is firmly committed to placing governance, anti-corruption, and transparency front and center in our work. A stable, respected rule of law is essential to good development outcomes. An important piece of our anti-corruption efforts is the World Bank Group’s sanctions system.”

He said that since the beginning of the COVID-19 pandemic, the World Bank Group has deployed more than $157 billion in critical assistance to developing countries.

“Yet, for these resources to have the needed development impact on the hundreds of millions of people who live in extreme poverty, we must ensure that resources are used efficiently, effectively, and for their intended purposes,” he said.

“And that means remaining vigilant to the scourge of corruption and ensuring that we promote the highest integrity and transparency standards in public finance.”

Below is a list of Nigerian firms and individuals debarred by the World Bank:

Continue Reading

BIG STORY

JUST IN: CBN Rolls Out First Digital Currency ‘eNaira App’, Merchant Wallets

Published

on

The Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) has rolled out eNaira, the country’s first digital currency.

The digital currency has two applications — eNaira speed wallet and eNaira merchant wallet.

The two apps were rolled out on Google play store and Apple store on Monday.

In a statement on the eNaira website, CBN said interested individuals can sign-up on the eNaira speed wallet by inputting their details as captured during BVN enrollment.

The details include First Name, Last Name, Date of Birth, State of Origin, and Email.

“Your Banks are waiting to assist you in validating and updating your BVN details to ensure seamless enrolment to the eNaira Platform,” the statement reads.

“Remember Your BVN details is YOUR Personal Information, Do not disclose to Anyone.”

Osita Nwasinobi, spokesperson of the CBN, over the weekend, said President Muhammadu Buhari will launch the digital currency today.

Nwasinobi said the launch of the eNaira is a culmination of several years of research by the apex bank in advancing the boundaries of payment systems to make financial transactions easier and seamless.

The apex bank had postponed the unveiling of the eNaira on October 1, citing key activities lined up for the country’s 61st independence anniversary.

Continue Reading

BIG STORY

#EndSARS Memorial: Uber Driver Did Not Report Assault Officially —- Lagos CP

Published

on

Four days after an Uber driver, Adedotun Clement was tortured by some policemen and officials of the Lagos Neighbourhood Safety Corps, the police authorities have yet to begin disciplinary procedures against the cops.

However, the LNSC had since suspended two officers over their roles in the incident.

It was reported that security agents, particularly policemen and officials of the LNSC brutalized Clement, including protesters and journalists, when some youths last Wednesday flooded the Lekki tollgate to mark the one-year anniversary of the #EndSARS campaign.

Attacks on protesters were filmed by residents and journalists, who were present at the scene.

A clip showing the beating of Clement, however, went viral.

In the clip, policemen and officials of the LNSC were seen slapping and using pepper spray on the driver, as he protested against being locked up in a Black Maria and begged to be identified.

The General Manager, LNSC, Ifalade Oyekan, who condemned the action of his officers, said they had been suspended for unruly behaviour.

He said, “The two officers and their supervisor have faced a disciplinary committee for assaulting a member of the public; their unsanctioned conduct is capable of breaching public peace contrary to the Lagos State Neighbourhood Safety Corps handbook, particularly sections (ii), (iii), (iv) and (x), which covers the conduct with the general public.

“The committee found the two officers guilty of the charge of misconduct and they were immediately suspended from the agency, while further investigations are ongoing to determine other appropriate disciplinary action against them in order to serve as a deterrent to others.”

He also apologized to the victim, saying the state government placed a high premium on its relationship with residents.

However, the state Commissioner of Police, Hakeem Odumosu, on Sunday, said the police could do nothing without an official complaint.

He said, “To the best of my knowledge, no single officer has been reported to have committed an infraction. The officers of the Neighborhood Watch were identified. I was there at the protest ground and I said if any policeman has done something contrary to our professional calling, let me know.

“No one has come to make a formal complaint. I told a journalist on that day that we have our procedure; we need an official complaint to be able to try any policeman that has been complained against. If you know the policeman that assaulted you and you also have witnesses, lodge a formal complaint against the policeman.

“There must be a complainant; we have internal trials as we don’t trial people on the pages of newspapers; somebody needs to stand and give evidence.

“The Uber driver has not lodged any complaint; I got his number, called him personally and he told me about his vehicle and I called the General Manager, LASTMA, forwarded his number to him that they should release his vehicle. He has not lodged any complaint against anybody and our disciplinary procedure must be documented.”

The state police command has been criticized for its handling of alleged human rights abuses.

In February, a video went viral showing a popular comedian, Debo Adebayo, aka Mr. Macaroni, and some protesters, who were stripped of their clothes, beaten, and cramped in a bus.

After widespread outrage, Odumosu issued a statement promising to investigate and identify the culprits.

Nothing has been heard about the case till date.

Continue Reading

Most Popular