Connect with us


NEWS

Unbelievable! Surulere Policemen Arrest Men For Eating Late At 11pm, Demand N15,000 Bribe

Published

on

Area-C-Command-Surulere
The Nigerian Police Force should actually feel ashamed after reading through this post, quite sad that those who are meant to be the custodian of the law are the actually the ones who violates and abuse it the most.

Arresting common citizens for eating Noodles at a Mallam’s open shop at 11pm is now a crime in Nigeria?

Please read the full story below:

The Surulere Police Division, Lagos State, on Tuesday arrested four men, who were accused of eating late in the night around the Ojuelegba Bridge in the Surulere area.

It was learnt that the suspects – one of them identified as Sango Svengali – were eating noodles at a shop on Ogunlana Drive around 11pm, when the policemen, said to be about eight, rounded them up.

The policemen, who reportedly brought three vans, were said to have accused the men of eating late and queried why they did not eat in their houses.

Report says that the suspects were subsequently whisked away to the Area C Command, Surulere.

It was learnt that the policemen at the counter allegedly demanded N15,000 ‘settlement’ from the men, threatening that they would sleep in the cell overnight if they failed to settle.

It was gathered that Svengali and his friends, who were not made to write any statement, offered N5,000 but the policemen refused.

Our correspondent learnt that on Wednesday, the suspects were brought before the area commander, who noted that they resembled Boko Haram members, ordering them to shave their beards.

Speaking with PUNCH Metro on Thursday after regaining his freedom, Svengali said the policemen did not ask any of them for identification before forcing them into their vans.

He said, “I had a stressful day at work on Tuesday. There was a lot of traffic. Instead of going home through the Third Mainland Bridge, I decided to spend the night at a friend’s place in Ojuelegba. Some other friends came to my friend’s place. Later, around 11pm, we were hungry and we decided to go down the road to buy noodles.

“The Mai shai are basically night-food people. So we knew they would still be selling food. We drove to Ogunlana Drive and saw a woman selling noodles by the roadside. The three of us decided to buy noodles and eat. We sat on the trunk of the two cars we brought and ate the food. As we were about to go, three police vans stopped by our vehicles. There were about eight policemen in the vans.

“The policemen dragged me into one of their vans. I was confused and wanted to resist. But when I saw the young man selling recharge cards beside the woman being slapped several times, I knew it was useless resisting. The policemen did not ask us any question. They did not ask us to identify ourselves.”

Svengali added that when they got to the station, they met eight others who had been arrested.

He said, “While in the van, the policemen sitting beside me collected my phone and started searching through it. He checked through my electronic mail, and when he did not find anything, he said, ‘Sometimes you go dey pray say you no dey road when devil dey pass.’ He added that we would ‘sort it out’ at the station.

“As we moved on, I noticed that my other friends – except one – were in the other vans. When we got to the station, we found that eight people had been picked up too. The policemen at the station said, ‘Why una no chop for house?’ One of my friends started negotiating for us at the counter. The policemen said they wanted N15,000 to let three of us go. He was begging them to take N5,000. They refused.

“The cell stank like a gutter. There were about 18 of us there. We endured the stench till morning. When it was around 7am, we were brought before the area commander. We were lined up like criminals. He said our misdeed was that we ate at an unholy hour. He said we looked like fanatics and Boko Haram members.

“He ordered them to lock us up again. After some time, some of our friends came, one of them is a lawyer. He spoke to the area commander. He said the only way to release us was to shave our beards. The police bought shaving sticks and made us shave at the counter. I was so embarrassed. All this while, we never wrote any statement. We were not accused of anything. When I finally left, it was some minutes before 10am.”

Our correspondent learnt that one of the suspects communicated with the Complaints Response Unit, Abuja, through Twitter, to report the alleged bribe the policemen demanded.
The Lagos State Police Public Relations Officer, SP Dolapo Badmos, had yet to reply to a text message sent to her phone on the incident.

The Head of the CRU, Force Headquarters, Abuja, CSP Abayomi Shogunle, however, replied on Twitter that a team of policemen had gone to the police station to ascertain the claim of the complainants.

He said, “A special monitoring team from the Force Headquarters on nationwide patrol is at the police station in Ojuelegba to verify this report. The complaint is acknowledged and the tracking number is CRU 359117.”

Advertisement
1 Comment

1 Comment

  1. Elida

    May 19, 2016 at 8:29 pm

    I’m impressed by your writing. Are you a professional or just very knwaoedgelble?

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

BIG STORY

Owo Church Massacre: Some Perpetrators Still On The Run – Akeredolu

Published

on

The executive Governor of Ondo State, Rotimi Akeredolu, has confirmed the arrest of five of the terrorists who carried out the horrendous massacre of worshippers at St. Francis Catholic Church, Owo on June 5.

The governor, however, noted that some of the attackers were still on the run, but assured that security agencies are on their trail.

Akeredolu said the owner of the house where the attackers stayed before carrying out the attack has also been arrested.

Recall that Gen. Lucky Irabor, Chief of Defence Staff, had earlier announced the arrest of the attackers.

The Ondo governor who corroborated the army chief’s announcement, noted that the arrest had been made for a while, but the authorities needed to confirm.

He noted that government did not spare a moment in trailing the terrorists since the horrendous attacks on innocent worshipers.

Arakunrin Akeredolu spoke during a courtesy visit to his office by the leadership of the Nigeria Union of Journalists (NUJ) led by the Chairman of the Council, Prince Leke Adegbite.

He said: ”Now that the military has announced it, I can tell you that five of them have been arrested now. They are still on the trail of the rest. The home where they lodged in Owo and the person that accommodated them before the attack, has also been arrested.

“We did not spare a moment. I am happy that the Chief of Defence Staff has announced it. We have known for a while but we needed not to come out with it because more works are still ongoing. I can confirm that this arrest has been made. And they are still on the trail of some of them.”

Governor Akeredolu also called on leaders of the Ebira community in the state to warn their young ones not to copy the bad venture of kidnapping.

The Governor said recent reports from victims of kidnap in the state have established that some Ebira indigenes are now involved in the unwholesome act.

He noted that the Ebiras have lived together with the people of the state peacefully for several decades, adding that they have always been supportive and hardworking.

“I want to use this medium to urge our brothers to concentrate on their farming trade. It will be unfortunate to know that the Ebiras in our midst are now involved in kidnapping.

“We are appealing to them not to copy bad things. The traders selling by the roadside should not become informants. We are not fighting them.

“We have seen their numbers, they supported and voted for us during elections. I will call their leaders and talk to them. Our brothers who were kidnapped on their way to Ikare, talk to them. They were taken to Ebira farmsteads.

“For me, we have lived together for too long for this to happen. I am ready to make any effort to ensure that the conviviality that we have enjoyed continues. But we are begging their leaders to urge them not to copy bad things.

They are in our midst, we are surrounded by them. The issue of security is key and it’s dynamic.” Governor Akeredolu noted.

The Governor, who thanked the NUJ in the state for the cooperation extended to his administration, assured them of sustained efforts at developing the state.

On the issue of Security, Governor Akeredolu disclosed that aside from the recent recruitment and training of new Amotekun personnel, 20 hunters and local vigilantes will be trained by the Amotekun corps in each of the eighteen local government areas in the state.

Earlier, the Chairman of the NUJ, Ondo State Council thanked the Governor for his support for the management of OSRC and Owena Press PLC, adding that the upgrade of facilities in the two state-owned media outfits is commendable.

He equally appreciated the Governor for the approval of the Weigh-in allowance for journalists and information officers working in the State and Local government service.

Continue Reading

BIG STORY

Millions Have Died From January 1966 To Date, To Keep Nigeria United – Buhari

Published

on

President Muhammadu Buhari has said that millions of Nigerians who have died from January 15, 1966 for the country to remain united, is a pointer to practical experience on “hard-earned patriotism”.

The Nigerian leader spoke on Tuesday when he received former state chairpersons of the defunct Congress for Progressive Change (CPC), at the state house, Abuja.

A statement by Femi Adesina, presidential spokesman, quoted the president as saying that the passion and zeal for improving the livelihood of Nigerians, which culminated in the creation of the political party, had not dwindled.

The president said the self-centeredness that led to the loss of about a million lives between from 1966 — just before the Civil War — till date, must not be allowed to repeat itself.

The president called for more steadfastness among Nigerians, and urged political leaders to stay focused and uphold the ultimate objective of promoting the interest of the country.

“Our main objective is the Federal Republic of Nigeria. We are human beings. We have our weaknesses, but I can assure you that the patriotism in us is hard-earned,” he said.

“We have gone through all the troubles from 15th of January 1966 to date. You know what I mean by this. We have killed a million of ourselves in order to keep this country together.

“I don’t think there can be any practical experience more than that. We are Nigerians. God willing, we remain Nigerians and Nigeria will remain one.”

The president also urged members of the defunct CPC and political leaders to work towards preserving the unity, peace and integrity of the nation.

Buhari thanked the former chairpersons of the CPC for always highlighting the achievements of the government.

“I am delighted to welcome the forum of state chairmen of the former Congress for Progressive Change to State House today. I accord great significance to this visit as it demonstrates a determination and commitment to identify with our administration,” Buhari said.

“I commend members of this forum and all members of the legacy party-CPC, for their continued dedication to the ideals of democratic governance that we all believed in.

“I am particularly grateful for the unalterable belief the members of CPC and, by extension, the Nigerian electorate, had and still have in me as demonstrated in their unalloyed support for our electoral struggles, which reflected in the results that we consistently recorded at the polls over the years.”

He said the solid credentials that the CPC possessed gave the party a prime place in the merger that led to the formation of the All Progressives Congress (APC).

Describing Buhari as the “patriarch of the CPC’’, Umar Shuaibu, chairman of forum, commended the president for providing strong leadership over the years, particularly in remaining “balanced, fair and above board” in electoral issues.

Shuaibu said the party had maintained all its structures across the country, and assured the president of their loyalty, especially in the forthcoming elections.

He said the CPC had always garnered millions of votes in elections across the country and would support Bola Tinubu, the APC presidential candidate.

Continue Reading

BIG STORY

Shun Violence, Nigeria Can’t Afford Another Civil War – El-Rufai To The Youths

Published

on

The executive Governor of Kaduna State, Nasir Ahmed El-Rufai has urged the Nigerian youths to shun violence as the country cannot afford a repeat of the 1967 civil war which claimed almost two million lives.

El-Rufai also charged members of the National Youth Service Corps who would be participating in the 2023 general elections to avoid being used as a conduit pipe to rig the elections.

The governor stated this at the closing ceremony of the orientation course organized for members of 2022 Batch B (Stream 2) NYSC corps members posted to the state on Tuesday.

El-Rufai, represented on occasion by the state acting Governor, Dr. Hadiza Balarabe, said the civil war was needless savagery that the country could not afford a repeat.

He said, “The youth must remember that the NYSC came into being after the civil war that tore every fabric of the Nigerian state. The war was needless savagery that we cannot afford to repeat.

“Nigerian youths must therefore distance themselves from fanning the embers of violence and war in Nigeria. As a country, we must avoid a repeat of that dark part of our history. And Nigerian youths must refuse to be ready tools for warmongers.

“My dear valuable corps members, I believe you have the capacity to defend what is good for our dear country and what shall build a united Nigeria and you shall not fail to do what is right for your dear country. After all, the major objective of establishing the NYSC is to promote Nigeria’s unity and enhance development.

“The national youth service is a reflection of the hope that we have placed on our young graduates as torchbearers of a greater Nigeria. You must prove to us that this is not a misplaced hope. We expect you to be innovative, industrious, and consistently demonstrate acts of tolerance, open-mindedness, and perseverance in all that you do.”

On the role of the corps members during elections, El-Rufai said as representatives of the youths, the corps members must shun corruption during the election and be responsible.

On his part, the Director of NYSC, Brigadier General, MK Fadah, whose address was read by the State Coordinator, Mr. Abel Odoba Oche, also urged the corp members to build on skills acquired during the orientation course, adding that it would avail them the chance of being self-reliant.

Continue Reading

Most Popular