BIG STORY

Pension Crisis: Police Retirees Reject FG’s Healthcare Incentives, Demand Total Exit From CPS

Published

on

Despite new instructions from President Bola Tinubu to enhance their welfare, retired police personnel enrolled in the Contributory Pension Scheme have once again insisted on being completely removed from it.

On Wednesday, the President gave orders for the immediate launch of free healthcare services for low-income retirees under the CPS and also directed that overdue pension increases be implemented without delay.

He further tasked the Director General of the National Pension Commission, Omolola Oloworaran, with urgently addressing the long-standing concerns around police pensions, emphasizing that those who served the country deserve to retire with respect and a sense of security.

While the retirees acknowledged the President’s gesture, they maintained that only a full withdrawal from the scheme would suffice.

“We are very happy that our cries have reached the President, and we appreciate his directives.

However, what we want is our outright exit from the scheme. If we remain under CPS, we will still remain caged,” said Buba Danjuma, spokesperson for the retirees.

In recent months, retired police personnel under the CPS have staged several demonstrations, including a protest on July 21, 2025, when they blocked the entrance to the Force Headquarters in Abuja, demanding to leave the scheme.

Tinubu’s Wednesday directive included the rollout of healthcare benefits and an increase in pensions for retirees in the CPS category.

According to a statement released by the President’s Special Adviser on Information and Strategy, Bayo Onanuga, the move is part of a broader plan to strengthen the administration’s social protection efforts.

“The President directed the expedited rollout of the free healthcare initiative for low-income retirees under the CPS, and called for the immediate implementation of pension increases and a minimum pension guarantee,” the statement said.

Tinubu also told PenCom to address all outstanding issues related to police pensions, underscoring that officers who ensured national security should retire with dignity.

The PenCom DG had earlier updated the President on steps being taken to preserve the value of pension funds, particularly in light of inflation and economic challenges, as well as new plans to allow foreign currency contributions so Nigerians abroad can join the pension program.

“President Tinubu strongly supported the reforms, reaffirming his administration’s commitment to inclusive growth and protection for ordinary Nigerians.

During the briefing, the DG updated the President on a suite of transformative pension initiatives to enhance retiree welfare and expand the Pension Scheme’s reach,” the statement said.

After the announcement, Danjuma welcomed the intervention but reiterated that their demand remains full withdrawal from the scheme.

He pointed to other agencies, such as the Department of State Services and the military, which have exited the CPS, and questioned why police retirees should be treated differently.

“The DSS and military have all left and didn’t bother to remain under the CPS because of its many disadvantages. Why should we remain?

We appreciate the President, but we want him to do everything possible to get us out of the scheme. We don’t want to remain there anymore,” he said.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most Popular

Exit mobile version