BIG STORY

No Region Left Out In Tinubu’s Infrastructure Revolution — Works Minister Dave Umahi

Published

on

Dave Umahi, the minister of works, said every part of Nigeria is included in President Bola Tinubu’s infrastructure agenda, and he promised to make public the full list of ongoing projects nationwide.

Umahi made this known in Abuja on Thursday following the weekly federal executive council meeting chaired by Tinubu.

“Mr. President has done extremely, very, very well in both urban and rural infrastructure,” he said.

“I’m going to publish all the projects—over N10 billion—across the entire country. I’m trying to be correct, and that will be next week.”

He explained that 118 km of roads in Abuja cost N286 billion, with N75 billion (30%) already disbursed, and over half the work completed.

The second phase of the project spans 164 km at a cost of N502 billion, with N150 billion (30%) released so far.

For the Abuja–Kano road, covering 72 km and valued at N450 billion, N135 billion (30%) has also been paid to the contractor.

He added that the Abuja County application project, worth $22 billion, had received 30 percent payment for ongoing construction.

Discussing regional infrastructure, Umahi noted that funds were disbursed for all four parts of the Bauchi–Gombe road, and Sukuk bond funding is backing projects in Gombe, which are now underway.

He said the Nembe Bridge project received 30 percent of its N156 billion funding, highlighting that the bridge would eliminate the need for expensive airboat travel to oil rigs.

“I’ve always said that when a road is not connected, you can’t move from one state to the other,” Umahi stated.

“It’s tantamount to being in prison because your movement is restricted… Projects bring down costs; the GDP of states is being improved.”

The minister also mentioned that the Lagos–Calabar coastal highway is 85 percent completed, having positively impacted Lagos’s GDP.

He said the Adamawa project, which was originally awarded in 2020 for 45 km, had now been extended to 61.76 km on the Biu–Newman road.

On the Lagos–Shagamu–Ijebu Ode–Ore road project, which began in 2018 and was revised in 2023, he said it is 25 percent complete and recently received an additional N11.423 billion.

He noted that the Niger State project was adjusted to include a binder crossing and a new bridge, which increased the cost by N8.94 billion.

He stated that the second section of the Sokoto–Badagry corridor was awarded for 228 km of three-lane road construction at N961 billion, with 120 km already completed in Sokoto.

Umahi expressed sorrow over the Keffi Flyover accident, which claimed three lives, saying the government had settled with the victims’ families and reconstruction had started.

He said the bridge remains closed to vehicles and that there are no unresolved legal matters related to the incident.

Umahi reaffirmed that the administration is dedicated to transparency and accountability.

“Anytime, any day, I would like to have a debate with anybody that wants more knowledge in terms of our ongoing infrastructure,” he said.

“That will come next week, and you will be able to see the great things that Mr. President is doing.”

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most Popular

Exit mobile version