Connect with us


Governor Ibrahim Dankwambo of Gombe state has called for the end of the ongoing Big Brother Naija 2018 reality Television show. In a series of post on his Twitter handle, the governor said the show was constituting a lot of distraction to the youths.

Dankwambo wrote:

“I am praying for Big Brother Nigeria to come to an end so our young people begin to focus on important things like rescuing their country.“I know some politicians will want Big Brother to be a daily thing all year round so our youths can remain distracted.

“Millions of our youth vote with their money in Big Brother Nigeria then invest so much passion but show no interest in the electoral process then turn around to complain that the country is not working. Like I always say, I have nothing against the show.

“I just want our youths to show same kind of passion they use for Big Brother to effect the needed change in our country. I want young people to run for office and also vote competent leaders. #NotTooYoungToRun.

“Big Brother Nigeria is not the future. Nigeria needs your help, save her from going down. Don’t give up.

Stop saying votes don’t count. They do count. If they don’t count, why do bad politicians buy votes on Election Day?

“And even if you must show extreme passion in Big Brother Nigeria, please multi-task and also show same passion in rescuing Nigeria.

Please don’t give up. Go and get your #PVC.”

BIG STORY

New COVID Variant Of ‘Serious Concern’ Detected In South Africa

Published

on

A new variant of the coronavirus has been detected in South Africa.

The variant, B.1.1.529, is said to have a high number of mutations, which may be a source of concern in relation to immunity and transmissibility.

Confirming the discovery in a statement on Thursday, the NICD said 22 positive cases of the new variant have so far been detected in the country.

“The National Institute for Communicable Diseases (NICD), a division of the National Health Laboratory Service, confirms that through collaborative efforts with private laboratories and the NGS-SA members, a new COVID-19 variant, B.1.1.529, has been detected in South Africa,” the statement reads.

“Twenty-two positive cases of variant B.1.1.529 have been recorded in the country following genomic sequencing collaborations between the NICD and private laboratories. In addition, other NGS-SA laboratories are confirming more cases as sequencing results come out.”

According to the statement, Adrian Puren, NICD acting executive director, said it is “not surprising” that a new variant has been detected in South Africa.

“Although the data are limited, our experts are working overtime with all the established surveillance systems to understand the new variant and what the potential implications could be. Developments are occurring at a rapid pace and the public has our assurance that we will keep them up to date,” Puren said.

The institute said Joe Phaahla, the country’s health minister, confirmed that the new variant has also been detected in Botswana and in Hong Kong.

He said the variant was of “serious concern” and behind an “exponential” increase in reported cases, making it “a major threat”.

Michelle Groome, head of the division of public health surveillance and response at the NICD, also said provincial health authorities remain on high alert and are prioritizing the sequencing of COVID-19 positive samples.

“This means that individuals should get vaccinated, wear masks, practice healthy hand hygiene, maintain social distancing, and gather in well-ventilated spaces. Individual compliance to preventative measures can have a great collective impact in limiting the spread of the new variant,” she added.

As of September 2021, the World Health Organisation (WHO) had identified five COVID variants — Alpha, Beta, Gamma, Delta, and Mu.

While it is not unexpected that there will be more variants of the coronavirus, prior to the detection of the B.1.1. 529, the Delta variant had been linked to a high infection rate.

The Delta COVID variant was confirmed in Nigeria in July 2021, and is currently the most dominant strain in the country.

Continue Reading

BIG STORY

Reps Order Probe Of FG’s Abandoned N97bn Cancer Centre

Published

on

The House of Representatives has resolved to investigate the National Cancer Control Plan established by the regime of the President, Major General Muhammadu Buhari, to determine why fewer Nigerians with cancer cannot access treatment at the special centers.

The House particularly mandated its committees on Health Institutions and Health Care Services to “investigate the Federal Government’s implementation of the National Cancer Control Plan 2018-2022 to ensure its implementation.”

The committees are also to “ascertain the status of all radiotherapy cancer treatment centers in the country to come up with a workable plan to subsidize treatment for cancer patients.”

These resolutions were sequel to the unanimous adoption of a motion moved at the plenary on Wednesday, which was titled, ‘Call for Federal Government’s Intervention in Cancer Treatment in Nigeria’.

A member of the House, Olusegun Odebunmi, while moving the motion, recalled that the President had on December 29, 2017, signed the bill for the establishment of the National Institute for Cancer Research and Treatment of Cancer Patients in Nigeria.

Odebunmi also recalled that in 2018, the Federal Government launched the National Cancer Control Plan, which was to be implemented between January 2018 and December 2022, and with a proposed budget estimate of N97,321,725,422.53.

The lawmaker noted that both the federal and state governments were required to provide 75 percent of the funding to implement the plan, while donors and development partners would bridge the gap with 25 percent.

He said, “The House is worried that in 2018 alone, Nigeria recorded an estimated 116,000 new cancer cases with 41,000 mortalities and since then, the mortality rate keeps increasing, with breast and cervical cancer being the major causes of the mortality cases.

“The House is also worried that despite the increasing rate of new cases, only four out of the eight treatment centers in the country are functional.

“The House is concerned that Nigerians barely have access to cancer specialists for proper diagnosis and adequate treatment.

“The House is also concerned that for a cancer patient to go through a complete session of radiotherapy, an approximated amount of N750,000 is needed, an amount Nigerians suffering from the ailment cannot afford.”

 

Continue Reading

BIG STORY

BREAKING: EFCC Places Anambra Governor Willie Obiano On Watchlist

Published

on

The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) has placed Willie Obiano, governor of Anambra, on its watchlist.

The development comes months before Obiano is expected to leave office as governor.

According to a letter dated November 15 and addressed to the comptroller-general of the Nigeria Immigration Service (NIS), the anti-graft agency asked to be informed whenever Obiano is seen attempting to travel out of the country.

It is not clear why the EFCC placed Obiano on its watchlist.

However, according to sources, the Anambra governor is being investigated by the commission.

More to follow…

Continue Reading

Most Popular