Connect with us


BIG STORY

Buhari Govt Not Interested In Naming, Shaming Terrorism Financiers —– Femi Adesina

Published

on

Special Adviser to the President on Media and Publicity, Femi Adesina, has said that the regime of his principal, Major General Muhammadu Buhari (retd.), is not interested in naming or shaming Boko Haram sponsors and other financiers of terrorism in the country.

The presidential aide said rather, the current regime is interested in bringing the “malefactors” to justice.

He spoke on Monday evening as a guest on Channels Television’s ‘Politics Today’ current affairs.

It was earlier reported that the United Arab Emirates named and prosecuted six Nigerians and 32 others for allegedly financing terrorism.

Adesina’s colleague and presidential spokesman, Garba Shehu, had in March 2021 said the Nigerian Government arrested 400 Bureau De Change operators for allegedly funding Boko Haram insurgency in the country. He had said the Nigerians were transferring money to the sect from the United Arab Emirates.

Asked to give an update on the prosecution of terror sponsors in the country, Adesina, who is part of the entourage of the President in New York for the United Nations General Assembly, said, “Naming and shaming would not be the motive, rather bringing malefactors to justice would be it.

“Nigeria is not interested in naming and shaming anybody, rather it wants to bring them to justice.

“The United Arab Emirates has brought some names and the Attorney General of the Federation has responded to that matter, saying that in due course, all these people would have their days in court.

“Rest assured that these people (terror financiers) would be tried before justice and justice would have its way.”

The presidential aide also said that the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission and other related agencies were investigating the allegations against suspected terror funders in the country.

“You don’t take people before the court without investigation. The EFCC chairman spoke about it recently.

“Investigations are going on about it differently, at the level of the EFCC, at the level of the National Intelligence Agency, all security agencies would be working at it so that when those people eventually appeared in court, there would be prima facie case against them,” he noted.

Adesina’s comments came days after EFCC Chairman, Abdulrasheed Bawa, said that Nigerians would know the identities of terrorism financiers in the country at the right time.

“Of course, transparency is one of the bedrock(s) of this administration, of course, I am not a spokesman for this administration, but I believe that at the right time Nigerians will get to know those that are financing terrorism in this country and beyond as well,” the EFCC chair had said.

Terrorism financing has become a concerning issue in Nigeria in the last few years as some unnamed politicians have been fingered of complicity with the marauders.

This newspaper had earlier reported that a former Navy Commodore, Kunle Olawunmi, said that Boko Haram terrorists mentioned names of current governors, senators, and Aso Rock officials as sponsors during interrogation but the President has demonstrated an unwillingness to go after the high-profile politicians for reasons best known to him.

In September 2021, a former deputy governor of the Central Bank of Nigeria, the late Obadiah Mailafia, also claimed that a serving northern governor was a Boko Haram leader and moneybag.

For more than a decade, the Boko Haram terror group had killed thousands of Nigerians in Borno, Yobe, and Adamawa States. The Nigerian Army and the Presidency had at several times claimed the group had been ‘technically defeated’ and ‘weakened’ but the bloodthirsty terrorist faction continues to strike with daring effrontery and crude savagery.

BIG STORY

World Bank Debars Nine Nigerian Companies Over Corrupt and Fraudulent Practices [FULL LIST]

Published

on

The World Bank has debarred nine Nigerian individuals and firms from executing any contract with it for engaging in corrupt, fraudulent, and collusive practices.

This is contained in its recent report titled ‘Sanctions System Annual Report for Fiscal Year 2021’.

This report covers the Fiscal Year 2021 (FY21) — from July 1, 2020, to June 30, 2021 — and was prepared by the offices of the World Bank Group’s (WBG) sanctions system.

“In the fiscal year 2021, the World Bank Group sanctioned 57 firms and individuals, of which 54 were debarred with conditional release, making them ineligible to participate in projects and operations financed by institutions of the World Bank Group. In addition, three firms were sanctioned with conditional non-debarment, leaving them eligible to participate in World Bank Group-financed operations after meeting certain agreed-upon conditions,” the report reads.

In addition to the debarments, eight Nigerian companies debarred by the African Development Bank (AfDB) were also recognized by World Bank under the cross-debarment policy.

Cross-debarment is the recognition of debarment decisions by signatories to the Agreement for Mutual Enforcement of Debarment Decisions on the same terms as the initial decision.

“The institution also recognized 92 cross-debarments from other multilateral development banks (MDBs), while 45 World Bank Group debarments were eligible for recognition by other MDB,” the report adds.

They are Sangtech International Services Limited, Sangar & Associates (Nigeria) Limited, Mashad Integrated And Investment Co Limited, and Medniza Global Merchants Limited — all banned for two years.

Others include ALG Global Concept Nigeria Limited, Abuharaira Labaran Gero, Qualitrends Global Solutions Nigeria Limited, and Maxicare Company Nigeria Limited. These firms are ineligible to participate in projects and operations financed by institutions of the World Bank for three years.

Speaking on the report, David Malpass, World Bank president, said; “The World Bank Group is firmly committed to placing governance, anti-corruption, and transparency front and center in our work. A stable, respected rule of law is essential to good development outcomes. An important piece of our anti-corruption efforts is the World Bank Group’s sanctions system.”

He said that since the beginning of the COVID-19 pandemic, the World Bank Group has deployed more than $157 billion in critical assistance to developing countries.

“Yet, for these resources to have the needed development impact on the hundreds of millions of people who live in extreme poverty, we must ensure that resources are used efficiently, effectively, and for their intended purposes,” he said.

“And that means remaining vigilant to the scourge of corruption and ensuring that we promote the highest integrity and transparency standards in public finance.”

Below is a list of Nigerian firms and individuals debarred by the World Bank:

Continue Reading

BIG STORY

JUST IN: CBN Rolls Out First Digital Currency ‘eNaira App’, Merchant Wallets

Published

on

The Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) has rolled out eNaira, the country’s first digital currency.

The digital currency has two applications — eNaira speed wallet and eNaira merchant wallet.

The two apps were rolled out on Google play store and Apple store on Monday.

In a statement on the eNaira website, CBN said interested individuals can sign-up on the eNaira speed wallet by inputting their details as captured during BVN enrollment.

The details include First Name, Last Name, Date of Birth, State of Origin, and Email.

“Your Banks are waiting to assist you in validating and updating your BVN details to ensure seamless enrolment to the eNaira Platform,” the statement reads.

“Remember Your BVN details is YOUR Personal Information, Do not disclose to Anyone.”

Osita Nwasinobi, spokesperson of the CBN, over the weekend, said President Muhammadu Buhari will launch the digital currency today.

Nwasinobi said the launch of the eNaira is a culmination of several years of research by the apex bank in advancing the boundaries of payment systems to make financial transactions easier and seamless.

The apex bank had postponed the unveiling of the eNaira on October 1, citing key activities lined up for the country’s 61st independence anniversary.

Continue Reading

BIG STORY

#EndSARS Memorial: Uber Driver Did Not Report Assault Officially —- Lagos CP

Published

on

Four days after an Uber driver, Adedotun Clement was tortured by some policemen and officials of the Lagos Neighbourhood Safety Corps, the police authorities have yet to begin disciplinary procedures against the cops.

However, the LNSC had since suspended two officers over their roles in the incident.

It was reported that security agents, particularly policemen and officials of the LNSC brutalized Clement, including protesters and journalists, when some youths last Wednesday flooded the Lekki tollgate to mark the one-year anniversary of the #EndSARS campaign.

Attacks on protesters were filmed by residents and journalists, who were present at the scene.

A clip showing the beating of Clement, however, went viral.

In the clip, policemen and officials of the LNSC were seen slapping and using pepper spray on the driver, as he protested against being locked up in a Black Maria and begged to be identified.

The General Manager, LNSC, Ifalade Oyekan, who condemned the action of his officers, said they had been suspended for unruly behaviour.

He said, “The two officers and their supervisor have faced a disciplinary committee for assaulting a member of the public; their unsanctioned conduct is capable of breaching public peace contrary to the Lagos State Neighbourhood Safety Corps handbook, particularly sections (ii), (iii), (iv) and (x), which covers the conduct with the general public.

“The committee found the two officers guilty of the charge of misconduct and they were immediately suspended from the agency, while further investigations are ongoing to determine other appropriate disciplinary action against them in order to serve as a deterrent to others.”

He also apologized to the victim, saying the state government placed a high premium on its relationship with residents.

However, the state Commissioner of Police, Hakeem Odumosu, on Sunday, said the police could do nothing without an official complaint.

He said, “To the best of my knowledge, no single officer has been reported to have committed an infraction. The officers of the Neighborhood Watch were identified. I was there at the protest ground and I said if any policeman has done something contrary to our professional calling, let me know.

“No one has come to make a formal complaint. I told a journalist on that day that we have our procedure; we need an official complaint to be able to try any policeman that has been complained against. If you know the policeman that assaulted you and you also have witnesses, lodge a formal complaint against the policeman.

“There must be a complainant; we have internal trials as we don’t trial people on the pages of newspapers; somebody needs to stand and give evidence.

“The Uber driver has not lodged any complaint; I got his number, called him personally and he told me about his vehicle and I called the General Manager, LASTMA, forwarded his number to him that they should release his vehicle. He has not lodged any complaint against anybody and our disciplinary procedure must be documented.”

The state police command has been criticized for its handling of alleged human rights abuses.

In February, a video went viral showing a popular comedian, Debo Adebayo, aka Mr. Macaroni, and some protesters, who were stripped of their clothes, beaten, and cramped in a bus.

After widespread outrage, Odumosu issued a statement promising to investigate and identify the culprits.

Nothing has been heard about the case till date.

Continue Reading

Most Popular