Connect with us


BIG STORY

Black Sea Deal: Ukraine To Send 25,000 Tons Of Grain To Nigeria

Published

on

As part of the Black Sea grain arrangement, the Ukrainian government says it is getting ready to export 25,000 tonnes of grain to Nigeria from the Turkish port of Samsun.

The Black Sea Grain Initiative was established in July 2022 in response to Russia’s invasion of Ukraine, a neighbour and major grain exporter, in an effort to lessen the worldwide food crisis.

The grain is presently being held in Turkey under the auspices of the United Nations World Food Programme, according to a statement released on Monday by Vasyl Bodnar, the ambassador of Ukraine to Turkey.

In September 2023, the envoy said the Ukrainian government submitted proposals to Ankara to resume the “grain corridor” without Russia since there were “no restrictions on the export of goods for ships passing through the humanitarian corridor”.

“This grain was delivered in bulk from one of the ports in Ukraine during the Black Sea Grain Initiative. It is now stored in Türkiye under the auspices of the UN World Food Program,” Bodnar said.

“It is important for us that we cooperate with the World Food Program to supply grain to countries such as Nigeria.

“After visiting the port and the Fuat Sezgin vessel, which will deliver the cargo to Nigeria, the diplomat said that a total of 60 more ships are planned to be sent from different ports.

“This initiative will be implemented as the grain is used, either from Turkish ports or from other ports where it is currently stored.

“The key coordinator is the UN World Food Program, which uses the possibilities of loading either from Ukrainian ports or from those that were previously purchased or stored in Türkiye or other countries. In particular, we are talking about Spain, which is often mentioned as one of the destinations for Ukrainian grain.”

Disclosing details on the shipment, Tolga Özal, captain of the ship, said the cargo will arrive in Nigeria in about a month.

“The grain that will be loaded on the ship for about 10 more days is 25,000 tons. After loading, we will head for Nigeria. The journey to the Nigerian coast will take about 20 more days and may also depend on weather conditions,” Özal said.

In July 2023, the Russian government halted its participation in a deal that allowed the export of Ukrainian grain through the Black Sea despite a wartime blockade.

The Black Sea deal was vital to ensure food moved from Ukraine to the wider world especially countries in Africa, Middle East, and Asia.

BIG STORY

JUST IN: Ex-IGP Solomon Arase Dies At 69

Published

on

The family of Solomon Arase, former Inspector-General of Police, has confirmed his death at the age of 69. He passed away early on Sunday, August 31, 2025, at Cedarcrest Hospital in Abuja following a brief illness. The announcement was made by his son, Solomon Arase Jr.

In their statement, the Arase family of Benin City, Edo State, described him as a distinguished servant, noting his later roles as Chairman of the Police Service Commission and as a member of the Body of Benchers

The police public relations officer, Muyiwa Adejobi, said an official statement from police authorities is forthcoming

Separately, Channels TV also reported the death of the former IGP, citing a family source and confirming that he died at Cedarcrest Hospital in Abuja. They added that the police are preparing a formal statement

Background & Legacy

Career Highlights
Arase served as Nigeria’s 18th Inspector-General of Police (2015–2016). Before that, he headed the Force’s Criminal Intelligence and Investigation Bureau—its highest intelligence unit. He later chaired the Police Service Commission from January 2023 until June 2024

Professional Impact
His tenure was marked by reforms such as the introduction of the Intelligence Response Team, Complaint Response Unit, and Safer Highway Patrols, which enhanced police response and accountability

Life & Education
Born on June 21, 1956, in Edo State, Arase graduated in Political Science from Ahmadu Bello University (1980) before joining the police in 1981. He later earned a law degree from the University of Benin and a master’s from the University of Lagos. He also served in Namibia under a UN peacekeeping mission and was a Fellow of the Nigerian Defence Academy

Reactions & Role in Security
News of his passing sparked national concern. Social media users praised his reform-driven leadership and listed his progressive contributions—like the Police Complaints Response Unit—as part of his enduring legacy

Continue Reading

BIG STORY

37-Year-Old American Nicholas Giroux Jailed For Life Over Murder Of Nigerian boxer Olugbemi

Published

on

A 37-year-old man, Nicholas Giroux, has been sentenced to life imprisonment plus an additional 20 years for killing Nigerian-American boxer, Isaiah Olugbemi, in Anne Arundel County, Maryland.

According to the Anne Arundel County State’s Attorney’s Office, Giroux received the sentence on Friday from Judge Richard Trunnell after pleading guilty to first-degree murder and use of a firearm in a violent crime. The prison terms will run consecutively.

Olugbemi, 27, a father and highly regarded amateur boxer, was shot several times by Giroux on June 17, 2024, along Meadowmist Way in Odenton. He later died from his injuries at the R. Adams Cowley Shock Trauma Center in Baltimore.

Surveillance video revealed Giroux approaching Olugbemi, firing multiple rounds until he collapsed, and then discharging three more shots before fleeing. Police later recovered 9mm casings from the crime scene.

Investigators noted that Giroux had previously confronted Olugbemi and a neighbour at a cookout about two weeks earlier, where he displayed a firearm, though he did not fire it at that time.

Following the shooting, Giroux confessed during interrogation and directed authorities to the location of the gun he used.

Describing the murder, State’s Attorney Anne Colt Leitess called it “cruel and senseless,” stressing that the victim had a bright future in boxing.

“Mr. Olugbemi was a father and a rising star in amateur boxing. The callousness and lack of remorse on the part of this Defendant is really disturbing. He deserves this sentence. And to the family and friends of Mr. Olugbemi, I hope that today provides some sense of justice for this terrible ordeal,” Leitess said.

The case was prosecuted by Assistant State’s Attorney Carolynn Grammas, with homicide detectives from the Anne Arundel County Police Department leading the investigation.

Continue Reading

BIG STORY

40-Year-Old US-Based Nigerian Daniel Chima Risks 20-Year Jail Term Over ‘$405,000 Romance Scam’

Published

on

Daniel Chima Inweregbu, a 40-year-old Nigerian, has pleaded guilty to multiple fraud charges in the United States, according to the Department of Justice (DOJ).

US prosecutors said Inweregbu conspired to commit mail and wire fraud, while also using a false identity to carry out a romance scam that ran from July 2017 to December 2018.

The scheme, which cost victims over $405,000, involved Inweregbu and his partners contacting Americans through email and messaging platforms. They pretended to be “Larry Pham,” built online romantic relationships, and then tricked victims into sending money to bank accounts they controlled.

Once received, the funds were laundered through intermediaries to conceal their source, ownership, and movement, the DOJ added.

According to court filings:

  • Count 1 carries up to 20 years in prison, three years of supervised release, and a fine of $250,000.
  • Count 12 also carries up to 20 years in prison, with a fine of up to $500,000.
  • He must also pay a mandatory $100 special assessment fee for each count.

Sentencing has been fixed for December 4, 2025, before Judge Brown.

This is not Inweregbu’s first conviction. In December 2020, a Federal High Court in Lagos sentenced him to 18 months in prison (with an option of a ₦300,000 fine) for a similar romance scam. He was also ordered to refund $15,000 to the US Consulate.

Continue Reading


 


 

 

 

Join Us On Facebook

Most Popular