Connect with us


BIG STORY

We Must Take Proactive Measures To Address Land Degradation In Lagos — Environment Commissioner For Environment Tokunbo Wahab

Published

on

The Lagos State Government emphasised over the weekend that everyone must engage proactively to combat land degradation and improve drought resistance.

At the grand finale of the 2024 World Environment Day Celebration held on Saturday at Adeyemi-Bero Auditorium, Alausa, Ikeja, Commissioner for the Environment and Water Resources Mr. Tokunbo Wahab stated this. He said that Lagos State is not immune to the natural challenges of being a megacity with growing population and rapid urbanisation.

The topic, “Land Restoration, Desertification, and Drought Resilience,” he explained, is a call to action to confront the pressing problems of land degradation, desertification, and drought that endanger the planet’s life and future.

He said that land degradation, driven by unsustainable agricultural practices, deforestation, and climate change, affects about 1.9 billion hectares of land globally.

He further explained that Desertification is the process by which fertile land becomes desert and this happens in over 168 countries making it one of the most significant environmental challenges of this time, stressing that droughts have become more frequent and severe, exacerbating the impacts of climate change and threatening the resilience of the ecosystems.

“In our nation, these challenges are particularly pronounced as Nigeria, with its vast and diverse landscapes, faces significant threats from land degradation and desertification, especially in the northern regions”, he said.

Wahab stated that encroachment of deserts and the loss of arable land are affecting agricultural productivity, water resources, and the livelihoods of millions of Nigerians

He emphasised that the health nature of the land directly impacts food security, water availability, biodiversity, livelihoods and overall well-being, stressing that these crises affect millions of people worldwide.

“Sustainable Land Management initiative not only enhances soil fertility and productivity but also separates carbon, contributing to climate change mitigation”, he observed.

Wahab stated that there is a Community Engagement and Education initiative meant for empowering communities with knowledge and crucial resources, adding that the state is conducting extensive outreach programmes to educate farmers, local leaders, and citizens on sustainable practices that promote land restoration and drought resilience.

According to him, “The journey ahead may be daunting, but I am confident that with our collective determination, we can overcome these challenges; our efforts to restore our land, combat desertification, and enhance our resilience to drought will yield lasting benefits for our environment, economy, and future generations”.

The Commissioner who also dwelt on enforcement efforts of the administration said there is no going back on the application of the law to all environmental infractions.

Earlier in his welcome address, the Special Adviser to the Governor on Environment, Mr. Olakunle Rotimi-Akodu noted that yhe ecosystems are under immense pressure from urbanization, climate change, pollution, and unsustainable land use practices.

He added that amidst these challenges lies an opportunity for all to come together, re-imagine the relationship with nature, recreate sustainable solutions, and restore the balance that is essential for the well-being of the planet and future generations.

He said the State Government has long been at the forefront of environmental conservation and sustainability efforts which include tree planting initiatives to waste management reforms.

He said another example could be seen in the recent ban on Styrofoam food containers amongst other saying, the government has demonstrated the unwavering commitment to environmental management.

In his remarks, the Permanent Secretary Office of Environmental Services, Dr. Gaji Tajudeen reminded participants of the environmental challenges confronting the planet, noting that the World Environment Day celebration serves not only to raise awareness but also to inspire action towards sustainable practices that safeguard the environment for generations to come.

The Guest Speaker at the event, Dr. Soladoye Iwajomo said land restoration is the process of arresting degradation or rehabilitating degraded land and restoring its productivity through reforestation, soil conservation and protecting natural processes.

At the climax of the event, Green Awards were presented to private sector operators in Environmental Sustainability, Environmental Reporting and Environmental Restoration Categories respectively.

BIG STORY

37-Year-Old American Nicholas Giroux Jailed For Life Over Murder Of Nigerian boxer Olugbemi

Published

on

A 37-year-old man, Nicholas Giroux, has been sentenced to life imprisonment plus an additional 20 years for killing Nigerian-American boxer, Isaiah Olugbemi, in Anne Arundel County, Maryland.

According to the Anne Arundel County State’s Attorney’s Office, Giroux received the sentence on Friday from Judge Richard Trunnell after pleading guilty to first-degree murder and use of a firearm in a violent crime. The prison terms will run consecutively.

Olugbemi, 27, a father and highly regarded amateur boxer, was shot several times by Giroux on June 17, 2024, along Meadowmist Way in Odenton. He later died from his injuries at the R. Adams Cowley Shock Trauma Center in Baltimore.

Surveillance video revealed Giroux approaching Olugbemi, firing multiple rounds until he collapsed, and then discharging three more shots before fleeing. Police later recovered 9mm casings from the crime scene.

Investigators noted that Giroux had previously confronted Olugbemi and a neighbour at a cookout about two weeks earlier, where he displayed a firearm, though he did not fire it at that time.

Following the shooting, Giroux confessed during interrogation and directed authorities to the location of the gun he used.

Describing the murder, State’s Attorney Anne Colt Leitess called it “cruel and senseless,” stressing that the victim had a bright future in boxing.

“Mr. Olugbemi was a father and a rising star in amateur boxing. The callousness and lack of remorse on the part of this Defendant is really disturbing. He deserves this sentence. And to the family and friends of Mr. Olugbemi, I hope that today provides some sense of justice for this terrible ordeal,” Leitess said.

The case was prosecuted by Assistant State’s Attorney Carolynn Grammas, with homicide detectives from the Anne Arundel County Police Department leading the investigation.

Continue Reading

BIG STORY

40-Year-Old US-Based Nigerian Daniel Chima Risks 20-Year Jail Term Over ‘$405,000 Romance Scam’

Published

on

Daniel Chima Inweregbu, a 40-year-old Nigerian, has pleaded guilty to multiple fraud charges in the United States, according to the Department of Justice (DOJ).

US prosecutors said Inweregbu conspired to commit mail and wire fraud, while also using a false identity to carry out a romance scam that ran from July 2017 to December 2018.

The scheme, which cost victims over $405,000, involved Inweregbu and his partners contacting Americans through email and messaging platforms. They pretended to be “Larry Pham,” built online romantic relationships, and then tricked victims into sending money to bank accounts they controlled.

Once received, the funds were laundered through intermediaries to conceal their source, ownership, and movement, the DOJ added.

According to court filings:

  • Count 1 carries up to 20 years in prison, three years of supervised release, and a fine of $250,000.
  • Count 12 also carries up to 20 years in prison, with a fine of up to $500,000.
  • He must also pay a mandatory $100 special assessment fee for each count.

Sentencing has been fixed for December 4, 2025, before Judge Brown.

This is not Inweregbu’s first conviction. In December 2020, a Federal High Court in Lagos sentenced him to 18 months in prison (with an option of a ₦300,000 fine) for a similar romance scam. He was also ordered to refund $15,000 to the US Consulate.

Continue Reading

BIG STORY

Most Trump Tariffs Are Illegal, US Court Rules

Published

on

A US appeals court has ruled that most of former President Donald Trump’s sweeping tariffs are unconstitutional.

Back in April, Trump announced global tariffs on all imports into the United States, including a 14% levy on Nigerian goods. Since then, he has alternated between rolling back some measures and intensifying others.

Trump had argued that the tariffs were legally justified under the International Emergency Economic Powers Act (IEEPA), which empowers the president to act against “unusual and extraordinary” threats.

But in a 7–4 ruling, the Washington appeals court disagreed, holding that Trump exceeded his authority. The judges noted that the IEEPA “neither mentions tariffs (or any of its synonyms) nor has procedural safeguards that contain clear limits on the president’s power to impose tariffs.”

However, the panel stopped short of cancelling the tariffs outright, leaving room for a potential appeal before the US Supreme Court.

Reacting on Truth Social, Trump insisted his tariffs remain intact:
“ALL TARIFFS ARE STILL IN EFFECT!”

“If these Tariffs ever went away, it would be a total disaster for the Country. It would make us financially weak, and we have to be strong,” he wrote.

The former president also expressed confidence that the Supreme Court would eventually uphold his tariff policies.

Continue Reading


 


 

 

 

Join Us On Facebook

Most Popular