Connect with us

BIG STORY

2023: Tinubu Support Organization Endorses El-Rufai As His Running Mate

Published

on

As July 17, the deadline given by the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) for political parties to submit the lists of their candidates for the 2023 general elections, draws nearer, the Tinubu Support Organisation has endorsed Kaduna State Governor, Nasir El-Rufai as the vice-presidential candidate.

Bola Tinubu, the presidential candidate of the ruling All Progressives Congress (APC) had openly admitted that he is still searching for his running mate. Sources within the APC said the party’s candidate is considering Borno State Governor, Babagana Zulum or his predecessor, Senator Kashim Shettima as preferred options.

But speaking during a press conference on Monday in Kaduna, TSO’s Director-General, Aminu  Suleiman, said the group arrived at the choice of El-Rufai after meeting with critical stakeholders from the northwest zone and beyond.

He believes that the choice of running mate is a critical success factor for the victory of Tinubu in 2023, hence the organization having assessed all options wants the APC’s candidate for the vice president should come from the northwest,  which is the largest voting bloc in the country.

El-Rufai, the group added, is a very experienced person who has done well in both politics and governance at the federal and state levels and is the best candidate that can complement Tinubu as Vice  President.

“After due consultation with critical Stakeholders especially in the North-West, it is of the fact that El-Rufai is Asiwaju’s best choice for VP,” Suleiman said.

“The Tinubu Support Organisation is working tirelessly for the election of Asiwaju Bola Ahmed Tinubu as the next President of Nigeria. TSO believes that the choice of running mate is a critical success factor for the victory of Asiwaju.

“We are glad that the APC has many outstanding individuals among its leaders. But having assessed all the options, it is the view of TSO that the APC’s candidate for VP should be chosen from the North-West, the single largest voting bloc in Nigeria.

“It is our view that the person that can best compliment Asiwaju as VP is Malam Nasir El-Rufai The Executive Governor of Kaduna State and we recommend that he should be chosen as the running mate.

“El-Rufai is a very experienced person. He has held office at the federal level and at the state level, and he has done well in every office. He has always stood for progressive policies. He is not afraid of difficult decisions. This is a man that is running a state government with appointees from all over Nigeria.

“His capacity is not in doubt. His personal ability is outstanding. He is firm. He is courageous. He is principled. We know that he resisted every pressure to be dragged into the presidential race. We appreciate him and his colleagues, the APC governors from the north, for sticking to the view that gentlemen should respect agreements.

“El-Rufai is a leader whose talents and energy should be brought back to the federal level. We appeal to all our leaders in the APC to support Asiwaju Bola Ahmed Tinubu to choose El-Rufai as his running mate.”

BIG STORY

Lagos Taskforce Carries Out Late Night Raids In Ikeja, Goes All Out On Street Trading

Published

on

In the interest of environmental decorum and maintenance of Lagos State’s Mega City  status, the Lagos State Taskforce has expelled illegal Street traders from Alade Avenue, Orishe Street and Johnson Street, off Obafemi Awolowo Way which had been converted to mini markets and restautarants thereby causing serious human/vehicular traffic obstructions and serious environmental pollution along those routes and adjoining streets.
The two-days raid which was led by the Chairman of the Agency, CSP Adetayo Akerele took place at dusk which it usually the period when the illegal street traders erect make shift shops and place barricades which occupy parts of the road and cause traffic impediments to vehicles trying to access those roads. Their activities have also been noticed to seriously flout laid down environmental laws of the State through indiscriminate disposal of waste and solid materials into the gutters which end up clogging up canals and drainage systems in the Metropolis.
CSP Akerele described the raids which will be a continous exercise as a step made in the interest of the citizenry who have longed for solutions to the menace of street trading which also encourages criminality. Some of these locations serve as safe haven for criminals and they enjoy the proceeds of their criminal activities there. The flooding experienced in some parts of the State is also a result of improper disposal of waste that end up clogging the drainage channels.
“The activities of street traders at Johnson Street, especially at night is repugnant at all levels. They sell drugs indiscriminately there which is counter-productive to the society and they also contribute immensely to traffic build-up on Awolowo Road during rush hour at night when workers who have spent all day at work still shave to spend hours in traffic on Awolowo road just to get home. It is unfair to residents of this area and we will ensure that it is reduced to the barest minimum.”
Akerele reiterated the stand of the State Government on Street Trading and assured that all hands will be on deck to ensure that street trading is a thing of the past. He disclosed that the Agency is collaborating with other sister Agencies to ensure that the environment is preserved as prescribed in the THEMES PLUS agenda of the State Government.
The Chairman appealed to all other recalcitrant street traders and vendors to relocate their stores to designated outlets designed for trading and vacate the streets and inner roads. He assured them that the Agency will visit every nook and cranny where activities of street traders have impeded the flow of traffic and inconvenienced residents one way or the other.
He urged residents who have useful tips concerning street blockages by illegal traders or any other useful information on illegal environmental activities to contact the Agency through thee  social media handles or come forth with them to the Headquarters of the Agency at Bolade Oshodi.
“We will continue to do our job in line with THEMES PLUS agenda of the State Government and the directives of the Lagos State Commissioner of Police, CP Adegoke Fayoade  mni, psc.”
All suspects arrested were carefully screened and those with genuine business were allowed to go while others will be charged to court.

Continue Reading

BIG STORY

Appeal Court Affirms Dethroned Magodo Monarch’s Jail Term Over Fake Kidnap

Published

on

The Court of Appeal in Lagos has upheld the conviction of Mutiu Ogundare, the former Baale of Shangisha in Magodo, Lagos State, for staging his own abduction.

On September 27, 2022, Justice Hakeem Oshodi of the Lagos State High Court in Ikeja sentenced Ogundare to 15 years in prison. However, Ogundare appealed the decision, seeking to overturn the conviction.

On Monday, the Court of Appeal heard the case, with Mr. Jubril Kareem representing the respondent and Mr. Kayode Ojo representing the appellant. In a judgment delivered by the lead Justice, Peter Bassi, the three-man panel upheld the lower court’s decision on counts one and two but overturned count three. The other justices on the panel, Bayero and Folashade Ojo, concurred with the lead justice.

While the appeal was partially successful, the court reduced Ogundare’s sentence from 15 years to 12 years. This means that Ogundare will serve a reduced term for his role in faking his own abduction.

The court, however, held, “The appellant is to serve 10 years imprisonment, for count one and two years for counts two, respectively.”

On the third count, the court upturned the sentence in respect of false representation to release a kidnapped person.

The convict was first remanded on July 16, 2017, in Kirikiri Prison, by an Ogba Magistrate’s Court, for allegedly faking his kidnap.

Ogundare was prosecuted alongside his wife, Abolanle and brother, Opeyemi Mohammed.

They were arraigned on three counts bordering on conspiracy, breach of peace and fake kidnapping, preferred against them by the Lagos State government.

Justice Oshodi, on June 15, 2022, convicted Ogundare and his brother Opeyemi Mohammed and reserved judgment till September 27, 2022.

Before their conviction, Ogundare’s  counsel Olarewaju Ajanaku, in his allocutus pleaded with the court to temper justice with mercy.

Ajanaku told the court that the convict had turned a new leaf and that he did not think through his actions when he committed the offence.

The second defence counsel, Dr. Olayinka Owoeye, also in his allocutus prayed the court to temper justice with mercy adding that the convict (Mohammed),had learnt his lessons.

The said kidnap took place on July 5, 2017, but Ogundare later confessed to security services that he staged the kidnap to blackmail the state government.

He was allegedly abducted by three men along the Centre for Management Development Road, Ikosi-Isheri Local Council Development Area.

The Baale was said to have received a phone call from alleged developers, who had indicated an interest in a landed property within his domain.

The callers told him where to meet them, prompting Ogundare to drive to the address with one of his brothers, Mohammed.

On arriving at the location, the three men appealed to the Baale and his brother to join them in their White Toyota Venza so that they could go and see the land.

It was stated that on their way, the Baale’s brother noticed one of the men had a gun with him and he raised alarm and the suspected kidnapper pushed the Baale’s brother out of the vehicle and sped off with the Baale.

In the same month, the former governor of Lagos State, Mr Akinwunmi Ambode, ordered the removal of Ogundare as the baale of Shangisha.

Continue Reading

BIG STORY

BREAKING: CBN Raises Interest Rate To 26.75% Amid Soaring Inflation

Published

on

The Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) has once again increased the Monetary Policy Rate (MPR), a key indicator of interest rates, by 50 basis points.

The MPR has risen from 26.25% to 26.75%, a move aimed at tackling the escalating inflation and surging food prices in the country.

CBN Governor, Olayemi Cardoso, made the announcement following the 296th Monetary Policy Committee (MPC) meeting held at the apex bank’s headquarters in Abuja on Tuesday.

This decision reflects the CBN’s efforts to curb the rising cost of living and stabilize the economy, as inflation continues to pose a significant challenge to the country’s economic growth.

 

More to come…

Continue Reading

Most Popular