Connect with us

BIG STORY

IGP Orders Restriction Of Vehicular Movement On Election Day

Published

on

Usman Baba, the inspector-general of police (IGP), has ordered the restriction of vehicular movement during the governorship and house of assembly elections on Saturday.

Muyiwa Adejobi, force spokesperson, in a statement on Thursday, said the restriction would take effect from 12 am to 6 pm.

On Saturday, Nigerians will head to the polls to elect new governors and house of assembly members in 28 states across the federation.

In the statement, Adejobi said the federal capital territory (FCT) is excluded from this directive as no election will occur in the country’s capital.

The force spokesperson said officials of the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC), observers, and other persons carrying out essential services are excluded from the restriction.

“Sequel to the forthcoming Gubernatorial and State Houses of Assembly elections scheduled to hold on the 18th of March, 2023, the Inspector-General of Police, IGP Usman Alkali Baba, CFR, has ordered the restriction of all forms of vehicular movement on roads, waterways, and other forms of transportation, from 12 am to 6 pm on election day in all states where elections will be conducted with the exception of those on essential services such as INEC Officials, Electoral Observers, Accredited Media and Observers, Ambulances responding to medical emergencies, firefighters, etc,” the statement reads.

“This directive excludes the Federal Capital Territory as no election is being conducted therein.

“Similarly, the IGP reiterates the ban on all security aides to VIPs and escorts from accompanying their principals and politicians to polling booths and collation centres during the election.

“State-established and owned security outfits/organizations, quasi-security units, and privately-owned guard and security outfits are also barred from participating in election security management.”

BIG STORY

We Airlifted N1.219bn To Fayose For 2014 Election — Obanikoro Tells Court

Published

on

Former minister of state for defence, Musiliu Obanikoro,  has narrated how N1.219 billion cash was airlifted to Ayodele Fayose, former Ekiti state governor, in 2014.

Giving evidence as a witness of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) on Wednesday, Obanikoro told the court that he received the money from Sambo Dasuki, former national security adviser (NSA), as directed by Fayose.

“I was a minister under Jonathan’s administration in 2014. Sometime in 2014, we were going to have an election in Ekiti State. I was saddled with the responsibility of coordinating the activities in the election,” Obanikoro said.

“Some days before the election, I got a call from governor Fayose asking me if I received any message for him from ONSA, I can recall that prior to that, we had some activities among which was fundraising for the purpose of that election.

“When Mr. Fayose called, I told him I would call him later. I had a phone conversation with the NSA and was told he would get back to me. After, he got back to me that N2.2 billion was paid into the account of Sylvan Mcnamara Ltd.”

The former minister said he did not know the source of the funds, adding that “only the NSA can explain the source of the fund”.

“I handed over the N1.219 million cash to Agbele for onward delivery to Fayose. I did not take any money or N19 million, contrary to a  publication by a Lagos-based online platform,” he said.

When asked about his relationship with Sylvan Mcnamara Ltd, the former minister stated that “the account was created to deal with the issue of Boko Haram in Lagos”.

“The account was created by Taiwo Kareem and was used for the purpose of disbursing funds for election,” he added.

“I put a call through to let Fayose know that the money had been paid.

“Diamond Bank had said it did not have the capacity to make the funds available, so we opted to airlift the funds.  The funds were airlifted from Lagos in two tranches, the volume was much.

“Myself, my ADC and my security orderly were there, including a top aide of  Fayose to meet Mr. Agbele, the bank manager. I instructed my orderly to escort Mr Agbele and ensure the safe delivery of the money.

“We airlifted the funds from Lagos in two tranches because the aircraft could not accommodate the funds. We used two aircraft and I was in one of the aircraft.”

Nnamdi Dimgba, the presiding judge, adjourned the matter to February 27, 2024 for continuation of trial.

Fayose is being prosecuted by the EFCC, alongside his firm, Spotless Investment Limited, following their alleged involvement in N6.9 billion money laundering.

Continue Reading

BIG STORY

President Tinubu Confirms Adepoju As Substantive Immigration Comptroller-General

Published

on

Nigeria’s President, Asiwaju Bola Ahmed Tinubu, has confirmed the appointment of Wura-Ola Adepoju as the substantive comptroller-general (CG) of the Nigeria Immigration Service (NIS).

Adepoju reportedly disclosed the development to staff of the NIS during the comptroller-general’s parade on Wednesday.

“You may also wish to know, that through the grace of God and by the benevolence of the present government, I have been confirmed as a substantive comptroller-general of immigration,” she said.

She added that the date for decoration would be announced soon.

NIS spokesperson, Anyanwu Ifeanyi confirmed the development.

“Yes, she has been confirmed as comptroller-general,” he said in a text message.

On May 29, Adepoju was appointed acting CG, replacing Isah Jere whose tenure expired on May 29.

Stakeholders had commended the appointment of Adepoju as the first south-western, female acting comptroller-general of the NIS, describing it as historic.

The stakeholders said the appointment will inspire female officers to give the best to their careers in hopes of reaching the peak.

The Yoruba Heritage Group had also lauded Tinubu for the appointment, commending him for “breaking the jinx” by allowing a Yoruba person in the position.

The group had also appealed to Tinubu to confirm Adepoju’s appointment as the substantive immigration CG, adding that she has the competence and capacity to push reforms that will transform the service.

Continue Reading

BIG STORY

BREAKING: Gunmen Hijack Bullion Van In Ogun, Kill Finance Director Bureau Of Political Affairs

Published

on

Yet-to-be-identified gunmen, on Wednesday, killed the Director of Finance to the Ogun State governor’s office, Mr. Taiwo Oyekanmi.

According to Daily Post, the accountant was waylaid and shot dead on the popular Kuto Bridge in Abeokuta, less than three kilometres from a bank where he had withdrawn a lump sum of money for government use.

The unknown amount was also taken away by the gunmen.

Sources from the government office hinted that Oyekanmi was gruesomely killed a few days after he celebrated his birthday.

The sources further stated that Oyekanmi was rushed to the state hospital, in Ijaye area of Abeokuta, where he breathed his last.

It was further gathered that the news of his demise has been broken to his family and the Secretary to the State government (SSG), Tokunbo Talabi, as at the time of filing this report, was with the family of the deceased paying his condolence.

When contacted, Spokesperson of the Ogun State Police Command, Omolola Odutola, confirmed the incident but insisted that nobody died at the scene.

But when the commissioner of police, Abiodun Alamutu, was called, he confirmed the incident and also admitted that Oyekanmi was killed.

The police boss said, “This afternoon, the accountant, the Director of Finance with the driver and one other person left for Fidelity Bank to make some withdrawal.

“They went with a homemade bullion van. They were supposed to have a police escort, but for certain reasons, the person was permitted to travel to attend to some issues.

“Consequently, he was not part of the movement today. According to the story, after making the withdrawal, and on their way back to the office, they were accosted.

“A vehicle blocked them on top of the bridge, five occupants of the vehicle came down, shot at the director and from their vehicle brought out a sledge hammer to force the receptacle where the money was kept open and they left with the money.

“The director that was shot was thereafter taken to Ijaye hospital where he eventually gave up the ghost.

“For our investigation, I have directed the area commander to get to the bank and request for the CCTV footage which will give us insight into the vehicle in question and possibility of identifying the culprits if they ever tried to step out of the vehicle or maybe they just maintained their position in the vehicle.

“I have reached out to Lagos and everywhere in the command to block all the exits out of the state, while we are trying to identify them because they said they were five and they were hooded.”

Continue Reading

Most Popular