Connect with us


How I Was Brutalized, Held Hostage By Angry Voters In Okota Over BVAS Machine Failure — Lagos Corper, Jamiu Aremu



  • I was accused of collecting N13m bride to rig elections
  • My phones (2) were collected
  • Was beaten blue-black, until the Police came to rescue me

A National Youth Corps member, Jamiu Aremu, who was part of the ad-hoc staff of the Independent National Electoral Commission in Lagos State, has lamented over the brutality he suffered at the hands of voters protesting against the failure of the Bimodal Voter Accreditation System to upload results during the governorship and state House of Assembly elections in the state.

According to The Punch, Aremu said the encounter left him with swollen and bruised lips and bloodied eyes, among others.

It was gathered that Aremu, alongside other INEC ad hoc staff, were attending to votes at Polling Unit 082 in the Okota area of the state when they experienced difficulties in using the BVAS machine to upload the results.

In a bid to ensure transparency in the electoral process, the corps member said he asked party agents at the polling unit to follow him to the INEC office where he could get an alternative means to upload the results.

Noting that the party agents did not oppose the suggestion, Aremu said the voters protested against the suggestion and accused him of attempting to use the claim on the faulty BVAS to manipulate the outcome of the results.

He, however, noted that the angry voters descended on him as he and his colleagues attempted to leave the polling unit for the INEC office.

Aremu said, “At the end of the voting, I calculated the votes and I gave the party agents their copies of the result. The situation then became tense when we wanted to start uploading the results. I don’t know what happened to the BVAS machine, but it was complaining about the camera quality.

“This happened around 9pm and I assumed that it was because it was dark. So, I told them I could not upload the results and suggested that the agents should follow me to our centre so that we can get it done over there.

“Immediately I made the announcement, I left with my two other colleagues to join the bus. My colleagues thought I had joined the other bus but some of the voters cornered me and insisted that I must upload the result. I tried to call the military officers that accompanied us but they could not hear me as they also left with the buses.

“At that point, some people started slapping me; they collected my two phones and prevented me from calling for help. They also accused me of collecting N13m to claim that the machine was faulty.”

Aremu said the angry voter took him to a dark spot away from the polling unit to brutalise him, adding that it took the intervention of some policemen who stormed the premises to rescue him from the mob.

He added, “When the policemen arrived, they fired two shots and the people dispersed. That was how they were able to rescue me. It was not too long before the military men also came and that was how the police handed me over to them. They were the ones that took me to the INEC office in Oshodi Local Government secretariat.

“When I got there, I was told to go and treat myself and bring the medical bill. My face was swollen with a bloodied eye. I could not sleep that night as my body was aching. The following day, I went to a private hospital to treat myself but the INEC officials told me to get myself treated in a government hospital. When I eventually got there, I was told to get a police report which I did yesterday.”

The spokesperson for INEC in the state, Nike Oriowo, said the case was reported to the commission.

She said, “The Electoral Officer in Oshodi/Isolo Local Government said the corps member was attended to and given rendered support. She also informed him to come to the office on Friday.

“We told our officers during a meeting on Wednesday to look into the wellbeing of the corps members that were involved in the exercise. We will not allow any one of them who were maltreated to be left unattended. According to the electoral officer, the police have started investigating the incident.”

However, the state Police Public Relations Officer, SP Benjamin Hundeyin, could not be reached for comment as calls made to his number were not answered.

He had yet to reply to a text message sent to his mobile number as of the time of filing this report.


Tinubu Meets PDP’s G-5 Members



President Bola Tinubu is in a meeting with members of the defunct ‘G5 Governors’ at the Presidential Villa, Abuja.

The group made up of Oyo Governor Seyi Makinde; former Governors Nyesom Wike (Rivers); Okezie Ikpeazu (Abia); Ifeanyi Ugwuwanyi (Enugu) and Samuel Ortom (Benue) are all members of the People’s Democratic Party (PDP).

The group is considered to have been friendly with President Tinubu and contributed to his electoral victory in February.

Although the reason for the visit is yet to be known, it is believed Makinde and the former Governors would be seeking to take advantage of their cordial relationship with the President to gain political capital.

Makinde and Wike have frequented the Villa a couple of times in the last few days


More to come…

Continue Reading


BREAKING: Tinubu Signs Bill Raising Judges’ Retirement Age Into Law



President Bola Tinubu has signed into law the bill on uniform retirement age for judicial officers.

Tinubu signed the bill into law on Thursday.

More to come…

Continue Reading


You Are A Liar, Woman Beater, Ondo Deputy Governor’s Wife, Seun Ayedatiwa Tells Husband



The wife of the Ondo State Deputy Governor, Seun Ayedatiwa, has faulted her husband’s defence over allegation of assault, maintaining that she is a serial victim of abuse in his hand.

But the deputy Governor in a statement through his media aide, Kenneth Odusola, said he had never raised a hand to hit his wife since they got married.

He described the allegation as baseless, false, nothing but political blackmail taken too far,” to cause political unrest in the state.

But in a statement from London entitled, “My Ordeal At The Hands Of Lucky”, Mrs Ayedatiwa narrated her experience, adding that she could no longer endure his temperament.

According to her, she had endured physical, emotional, and mental abuse from her husband, beatings, torture, and constant mistreatment.


“I have come across numerous comments regarding the statement released by the Women Group, the Society for Women Empowerment (SWE).

“Although I cannot ascertain the existence of the group or the true intentions behind the story, I feel it is important to express my pain for the sake of other women.

“I am a woman who deeply respects and supports my husband. Our story, like many others, has been one of grace and growth. While I am sociable, I am always mindful of my husband’s position. I have dedicated myself to nurturing our home and children, as any wife and mother would. I have done so with unwavering strength.

“Prior to Lucky’s appointment as the deputy governor, we had ongoing issues revolving around abusive behavior. Each time, he would apologize, often attributing his actions to alcohol. Our children have witnessed this on two occasions. They implored me to have him arrested, but I explained that Nigerian culture does not provide room for such measures.

“I am not happy about revealing my personal struggles publicly. It is a painful reality I must confront. I have reached the conclusion that concerted efforts must be made to eradicate the scourge of violence against women. I have endured physical, emotional, and mental abuse from my husband, beatings, torture, and constant mistreatment.

“On December 1, 2022, during a minor argument, I experienced one of the most severe beatings of my life at the hands of my husband. I was left bruised and battered, to the extent that I could not attend the birthday ceremony of Toyin Akeredolu, the younger sister of Governor Akeredolu, in Ibadan. He threatened to kill me, uttering words of disdain.

“On Friday, December 2, I traveled to Ibadan to meet with the First Lady, Chief Betty-Anyanwu Akeredolu, to report Lucky’s actions. When she saw my battered face, she was enraged. She subsequently reported Lucky to the Governor. Lucky used to be the First Lady’s favorite, but since that day, she has distanced herself from him.

“Upon returning to Akure, even with my bruised face, Lucky slapped me again. He accused me of exposing him to the Governor and First Lady. He not only slapped me but also poured Hennessy on my head, berating me as a worthless woman.

“A few days before the FOWOSO summit, I was burdened with depression and numerous issues. I had already made up my mind not to attend the program. However, Lucky approached me, pleaded, and promised never to harm me again. I had to apply heavy makeup and wear dark glasses to conceal the bruises on my face, just to attend the event.

“By the end of January, Lucky resumed his abusive behavior. As much as I am a strong supporter of his aspirations to succeed the Governor, I have consistently advised him to exhibit decorum in his public life.

“Every time I mentioned this, he dismissed it as jealousy and insecurity, showing no regard for my feelings. Disrespectful calls were frequently received at our home, especially from one Ambassador Tolu Taiwo, one of his girlfriends.

“During the first week of February, we had a conversation about his political aspirations, and I advised him to refrain from making certain remarks to people. Instead of considering my advice, he unleashed his anger on me, subjecting me to further physical abuse. He threatened to kill me and make another woman the First Lady when he becomes Governor.

“Lucky not only assaulted me but also locked me out of the house. I had to spend two nights at St. Jacob Hotel. He instructed the gatekeeper not to allow me entry. From there, I had to travel to Lagos and eventually moved to Ilesa, my hometown.

“After being locked out, my driver eventually went to the house to retrieve my bag, which contained my passport. Since then, I have relocated to London.

“I am aware that Lucky may attempt to deny this story once again. However, I urge you to question him: Why have I not refuted the allegations of his abuse?

“He is my husband, and no woman would want to falsely accuse her spouse. If he claims that all of this is untrue, ask him to call me and put our conversation on speaker. He is well aware of my position on this matter. I refuse to continue hiding and suffering in silence.

“Once again, the First Lady is fully aware of this situation.

If Lucky denies it once more, I will come out with pictures and videos, no matter how humiliating it sounds. I am taking this step because I can no longer endure this situation silently.”




7TH JUNE, 2023.

Continue Reading

Most Popular