Connect with us

/">

BIG STORY

Fear Grips Lagos Community As Six Kids Go Missing In Idi Araba [PHOTOS]

Avatar

Published

on

At least six children have been declared missing in Idi Araba, Mushin Local Government Area of Lagos State, as concerns over the safety of kids in the community grow on a daily basis.

The missing children are identified as Abdullahi Mohammed, Umairah Umar, Abubakar Sadiq, one Shittu, Abdullahi Olanrewaju, and Abdulahad Ibrahim, who disappeared on Wednesday, January 27.

According to City Round, the recurring disappearance suspected to be cases of abduction started about two years ago when four of the children went missing successively.

It was gathered that the children usually disappeared while playing with their mates within the vicinity, thereby throwing their parents into confusion.

“He was playing with his mates outside his grandma’s house on Garuba Musa Street that Wednesday,” Ibrahim’s mother, Hadiza, disclosed, her voice overwhelmed by grief.

“After the evening prayer, we couldn’t find him. We searched for him till 2 am. We have reported to the police,” she added, choking back tears.

The incident had left her husband, Abubakar, devastated too. His pale looks and hushed tones bore distress that has enveloped the family since Ibrahim suddenly disappeared.

Having reported the case at various police stations, including Itire, Alakara, and Area D, Mushin without any promising results in sight, the 37-year-old father said he had taken solace in God.

“We have been praying for his return,” he muttered. “We have faith in God that we will find him. It is a test on our faith and we hope he and other children will be found.”

Since Umar’s whereabouts became a mystery over six months ago, sorrow appears to have increasingly dominated the heart of Aisha, her mother.

The thought that Umar could emerge from any of the labyrinthine corners connecting their residence on Haruna Street is now a daily fantasy for the middle-aged woman and her husband.

“She got missing last year. I was inside while she was playing outside,” Aisha recalled bleakly. “It was not up to an hour when I decided to go out and check on her. Surprisingly, I could not find her. We have gone to all the police stations around us.”

Two years after Abdullahi’s disappearance, the heartache remains fresh in the minds of his parents. Even though they had got another baby after the sad incident, the joy of childbirth has not meant much to them without Abdullahi in their midst.

The father, Mohammed, 50, told our correspondent that the harrowing experience has impacted his health negatively.

He stated, “I have been living here close to 25 years. My son was four years old when he got missing. We went to the mosque together that afternoon and after prayers, we returned home and he was playing outside.

“Less than an hour later, we could not see him. We reported the case at the Itire Police Station, Alakara, and other surrounding police stations. Since that time, we have not seen him.”

An elder in the community, Alhaja Aisha Hussein, said residents were amazed at how the children disappeared within the short time their parents left them to play around their vicinity.

She said, “Two years ago, a three-year-old girl was playing outside while her mother was inside sleeping. After an hour, the mother woke up and came out to look for her but she couldn’t see the girl. We searched everywhere without any success. We also reported the case to the police.

“There was a boy who was following his father to the mosque on a Friday. The father sent him back and followed him to the last junction to their house before he headed back for the mosque. His mother said she heard him cry while she was praying. She came out after completing the prayer and looked everywhere but could not see him.

“There is a Yoruba boy, Shittu, who was also abducted after he came back from school. The boy was playing outside while his mother was preparing food for him. When she finished cooking, she came out to call the boy but he was nowhere to be found. No one knew how the boy got missing.

“There was also a two-year-old boy who got missing in the same manner. He was playing in front of her parents’ house with two other friends. The mother asked them about him but they could not explain his whereabouts.”

A traditional leader in the community, Seriki Hausa of Idi Araba and Mushin, Alhaji Hassan Abubakar, said the incidents had become worrisome to residents and urged the government to assist in addressing it.

He said, “This thing started two years ago. Six children have been missing so far without any clue to their whereabouts. We need the government to help us solve this problem. Our people are worried about the continuous missing of children. We have advised parents to always look after their children and always follow them to their schools.”

Secretary to the palace and Assistant Youth Leader, Mushin Local Government Area, Hussein Hussein, said they had a strong suspicion that insiders had a hand in the cases, noting that two children narrowly escaped from their abductors while a ransom was paid for the release of an abducted child.

He said, “Just recently, a child went missing. A child was also taken but was later released after the family paid a ransom. The kidnapper requested a N1.2m ransom and N10,000 recharge cards. The family tried to conceal the case probably because those people had threatened them. We believe those perpetrators have insiders.

“A boy was abducted on his way to an Islamic school. On getting to Yaba (a neighbouring community), he was dropped off because his abductors saw policemen at a checkpoint. It was a good Samaritan who brought the boy back home.

“There was also another child that was dropped off around Shitta when his abductors saw policemen. We are appealing to the government and security agencies to help us stop this menace. We have told parents that it is their primary responsibility to take care of the children and be watchful over them.”

But the spokesperson for the police in the state, CSP Muyiwa Adejobi, said the command was only aware of a case and urged other affected parents to report to the police.

He said, “The command was not aware of these missing person cases. We only recorded one case and we have acted on it. The people of the area should always get the police informed on any happenings in their area. We urge them to come up with their cases or complaints for the police command to act appropriately.”

Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

BIG STORY

GTBank Shareholders Endorse N3.00 Total Dividend For 2020, Applaud Agbaje’s Leadership

Avatar

Published

on

Shareholders of Guaranty Trust Bank (GTBank) Plc, at the weekend unanimously endorsed the payment of a total dividend of N3.00 per share to shareholders for the financial year ended Dec. 31, 2020.

This endorsement was made on Friday, April 9th, 2021, at the Bank’s 31st Annual General Meeting (AGM) held in Lagos. The bank had proposed a final dividend of N2.70 per unit of ordinary share held by shareholders in addition to the interim dividend of 30k interim dividend earlier paid in June 2020. GTBank according to the results presented to and applauded by shareholders at the AGM, recorded an increase in all performance indicators despite the challenging operating environment that prevailed in 2020.

Speaking at the meeting, a shareholder, Mr. Tunji Bamidele, commended the bank’s board and management for sustaining profit and dividend payment in spite of the harsh and challenging economy experienced in the year 2020 as a result of the pandemic that challenged the world.

Applauding the Managing Director’s leadership acumen and dexterity, Bamidele noted that the MD/CEO’s steering of the bank in the past 10 years has been a blessing to shareholders and the bank’s well-meaning stakeholders.

In his comments, the Managing Director and Chief Executive Officer, Mr Segun Agbaje, noted that the year 2020 was arguably the most challenging year that the world has faced in decades and that in such unprecedented times, the bank has been at the forefront of safeguarding lives and livelihood across the communities where it operates.

“We continue to receive positive and goodwill messages for the role we played at the height of the pandemic; especially for putting together very timely, a 110-bed Isolation Centre, with an intensive care unit, in partnership with the Lagos State Government,” he said, citing the Bank’s Excellence in Leadership in Africa Award which was specially created by the renowned Euromoney Magazine to spotlight private institutions at the forefront of tackling the pandemic.

Mr Agbaje also spoke about GTBank’s solid performance in a very challenging year and his confidence in the organization’s ability to keep delivering for all its stakeholders. His words, “The strength, scale and liquidity of our balance sheet, coupled with the quality of our past decisions and the efficacy of our digital-first customer-centric strategy gave us the resilience and flexibility to navigate the economic shocks and market volatility that dominated the year.”

“Amidst the many challenges that persist, we remain ardent believers in Africa’s growth potential. Our world is increasingly digital, and we see it opening new and exciting opportunities for empowering people and uplifting our communities. With our commitment to deepening customer relationships and intense focus on delivering innovative financial solutions, we enter 2021 well-positioned”, he added.

GTBank is one of Africa’s most profitable financial institutions. In 2020, the Bank reported Profit before tax of ₦238.1billion, representing a growth of 2.8% over ₦231.7billion recorded in the corresponding year ended December 2019. The Bank also continues to post the best metrics in the Nigerian Banking industry in terms of key Financial Ratios i.e. Post-Tax Return on Equity (ROAE) of 26.8%, Post-Tax Return on Assets (ROAA) of 4.6%, Full Impact Capital Adequacy Ratio (CAR) of 21.9% and Cost to Income ratio of 38.2%.

Continue Reading

BIG STORY

FG Enlists Interpol’s Help Over Fleeing 3,471 Dangerous Prisoners

Avatar

Published

on

The Federal Government has asked the International Criminal Police Organisation to be on the alert and look out for the inmates who escaped in the recent jailbreaks in the country, including the most recent in Owerri, the Imo State capital.

It added that the Nigerian Immigration Service had also been issued an alert, noting that the data of the inmates were being compiled and would be sent to the relevant organizations in batches so as not to delay the manhunt.

A senior official with the Nigerian Correctional Service on Saturday told one of our correspondents on condition of anonymity that the number of “dangerous” inmates on the loose officially was 3,471, including those who escaped in Owerri.

The source noted that the inmates included hardened criminals, kidnappers, armed robbers, and condemned criminals awaiting execution. “Suffice it to say that the bulk of those who fled Owerri correctional center are hardened criminals,” the source added.

No fewer than 1,844 inmates escaped from the Owerri Custodial Centre on Monday when unidentified gunmen broke into the facility with the aid of explosives. The gunmen also attacked the state police headquarters, where they freed about 600 suspects in custody. The attackers torched the facilities and also vehicles on both premises.

Despite the persuasion by the Federal Government and its assurance that they would be given amnesty from fresh prosecution if they returned to the facility, the NCoS said on its website on Wednesday that it had a total of 84 inmates back in custody. It said the figure included those who did not flee during the jailbreak, those recaptured, those who voluntarily returned, and those brought back by their relations, traditional rulers and religious leaders.

Further investigations showed that about 1,780 inmates were on the loose, while only 35 inmates didn’t escape during the attack.

On Friday, NCoS authorities published on its Twitter handle the names and pictures of 36 of the fleeing inmates.

Meanwhile, following the escapees’ refusal to return to the custodial center, the NCoS said it was compiling the names and pictures of the fleeing inmates for dispatch to the NIS to prevent them from leaving the country and INTERPOL to track those who might have fled.

The NCoS spokesperson, Francis Enobore, a Controller of Corrections, said the service would seek the assistance of the two agencies in arresting the escaped inmates.

Disclosing this to journalists on Saturday, Enobore said, “We are putting the list together, we would definitely seek INTERPOL and NIS’ assistance.”

Asked how soon they planned to do it, Enobore stated, “Like the ones we are processing now, we want everything to be comprehensive so that we send them at the same time. We also realize that waiting for the list to be comprehensive before sending may also slow down the manhunt, so these batches that are coming up would be sent for local searches at motor parks and other places but everything would be uploaded to the (INTERPOL) platform.”

Investigations by one of our correspondents showed that the 3,471 inmates, who are now part of society, escaped from three custodial centers. Some of them are said to be serving jail terms for various crimes, including murder, armed robbery, and kidnapping while hundreds are facing trial for different crimes.

Continue Reading

BIG STORY

Lagos Eases Restrictions On Event Centers, Pegs Occupancy Limit At 500

Avatar

Published

on

The Lagos state government has eased the restrictions on social and event centres.

In the new guidelines, the state government pegged the occupancy limit for event centres at 500 while social events can now have up to 200 people at a time.

Uzamat Akinbile Yusuff, the commissioner for tourism, arts and culture, released a statement to this effect on Friday.

According to the statement, safety marshals will be deployed to any social event with over 200 people and event centre exceeding the 500 limits.

The statement read: “All event centres must hold a valid license of The Lagos State Ministry of Tourism, Arts and Culture prior to operating as an event centre in the State.

“All event centres must be duly registered and verified on The Lagos State Safety Commission website www.lasgsafetyreg.com prior to holding any event.

An Event Safety Clearance must be obtained from the Lagos State Safety Commission through the website www.lasgsafetyreg.com for any proposed event or exhibition.

“Safety Marshals shall be deployed by an accredited event safety consultant from Lagos State Safety Commission for every social event with attendance exceeding over 200 people.

“Occupancy limit at any event must not exceed 50% of the maximum design capacity of the hall, wherein Occupancy Limit stickers provided by the Lagos State Safety Commission must be boldly posted at the entrance of the event hall.

“Maximum allowable capacity for Event Centres irrespective of the occupancy limit is 500 people. Deep cleaning must be carried out before and after every event.

“Physical distancing shall be maintained between seated guests and a maximum number of seated guests should be 6 (six) people on a table of 10 persons.

“Event duration should not exceed a maximum period of 6-hours. All guests and service providers at the facility must wear a nose mask and make use of hand sanitisers.

“All guests and service providers must endeavour to wash their hands before entering the venue or in the alternative use hand sanitisers. Temperature checks must be taken at all entry points into a facility.

“Guests and service providers with temperature (above 37.5) are to be politely turned back and referred to paramedics or the emergency response team on the ground. Hand sanitisers must be positioned at the entry points and different spots within the hall.

“All event centres must endeavour to display standard COVID-19 safety signs. The signs must be bold and installed at conspicuous locations. Event centre owners/ planners/vendors would be responsible for any breach of protocols by their staff.”

Continue Reading

Most Popular