Connect with us


/">

SPORT

Ex-Italy Defender Bellugi’s Legs Amputated After COVID-19 Complications

Peter Okunoren

Published

on

Former Italy and Inter Milan defender Mauro Bellugi revealed on Tuesday that both his legs had been amputated following coronavirus complications.

Bellugi, 70, was hospitalized on November 4 after contracting Covid-19, with doctors forced to carry out a double amputation following a worsening of pre-existing conditions.

“They also took off my leg with which I scored against Borussia Moenchengladbach,” said Bellugi of a goal scored for Inter in the European Cup in November 1971.

Bellugi, who also played for Bologna and Napoli during the 1960s and 1970s, went on to become a football pundit.

“I will wear prostheses like those of (Oscar) Pistorius, so I will overtake you in the corridors of the television studios,” he told journalist Luca Serafini on altropensiero.net.

Bellugi won the Serie A title with Inter in 1971 and also played for Italy in the World Cup of 1974 and 1978.

AFP

SPORT

BREAKING: Man United Legend Wayne Rooney Appointed Derby Coach

Peter Okunoren

Published

on

Wayne Rooney has been appointed as Derby’s coach on a permanent basis, the Championship club announced on Friday.

Derby County confirmed the 35-year-old former Manchester United and England forward had agreed to a permanent deal until 2023, having succeeded Phillip Cocu on an interim basis in November.

The club statement confirmed that in accepting the manager’s role, Rooney had “elected to call time on his illustrious playing career to fully focus on his job”.

Details later…

Continue Reading

SPORT

Anthony Joshua Reveals Retirement Date

Peter Okunoren

Published

on

Anthony Joshua admits he is “coming towards the end of my career” and has hinted that he will have a maximum of “five years left” in the sport before retiring.

The 31-year-old world heavyweight champion could be approaching the most significant period of his career, with ongoing negotiations about two massive unification fights against Tyson Fury in 2021.

Since making his pro debut in 2013, Joshua has become a two-time champion, having regained his WBA, IBF, and WBO titles in a 2019 rematch with Andy Ruiz Jr before defending them with a knockout win over Kubrat Pulev last month.

“This isn’t the start of my career. I’m coming towards the end of my career,” Joshua told Sky Sports News.

“I’m not someone who lives in the moment and thinks that everything is just like for now. I’m always planning ahead so I’m coming towards the end of my career.

“Five years left and that’s basically an Olympic cycle. I’ve got an Olympic cycle and a little bit more left, so when you see the next Olympics happen is when I’ll be coming to the end of my career and the next generation will be coming through.”

Fury turned professional in 2008, nearly five years before Joshua, who recently suggested that his British rival should also be thinking about hanging up his gloves.

“Fury has been professional much longer than me. He should be looking to retire soon,” Joshua had told Sky Sports.

“If he wants to cement his legacy, I’m here and ready. I’ve built myself into this position.”

But the 32-year-old Fury told Sky Sports last year that he wanted a lengthy world title reign like Wladimir Klitschko.

“Klitschko did it until he was 40,” said Fury who ended the Ukrainian’s dominance with a points win in 2015.

Continue Reading

SPORT

Italian Court Sentences Brazilian Footballer, Robinho, To Nine Years In Prison For Rape

Avatar

Published

on

The Italian Court of Appeal in Milan has sentenced former Real Madrid forward Robinho to nine years in prison for participating in the gang rape of a young woman at a nightclub in the northern Italian city in 2013.

Robinho and his friend, Ricardo Falco, have been accused of raping an Albanian girl who was celebrating her 23rd birthday in a well-known Milan venue.

“This sentence is an example for the protection of women and shows that the system works, when necessary,” the girl’s lawyer, Jacopo Gnocchi, told Italian media.

Santos, who had announced the return of the 36-year-old Brazilian striker in early October, terminated his contract shortly thereafter following pressure arising from the sexual violence conviction he received in Italy.

In their statement, the Brazilian club explained that they did so to let Robinho “concentrate exclusively on his defense in the process that takes place in Italy.”

Robinho denied the accusations in 2014 when the news broke that he was being investigated for rape.

In 2009, while playing for Manchester City, Robinho was investigated by the police for an alleged rape at a nightclub in Leeds. After being questioned, he was released on bail and denied those accusations too.

Continue Reading

Most Popular