Connect with us

/">

BIG STORY

#EndSARS: We’re Sorry For Being Silent, Osinbajo Begs Youths

Avatar

Published

on

Vice-President Yemi Osinbajo on Friday apologized to the youths for keeping silent and having not done enough to stop police brutality in the country.

This is as #EndSARS protesters held candlelight sessions for victims of SARS/police brutality in several cities like Lagos, Abuja, Port Harcourt, and Ibadan.

Osinabjo, in a Twitter thread, via his verified handle @ProfOsinbajo, admitted that the feelings of anger and frustration by young Nigerians were justified.

He said several meetings had been held with government officials and actions were being taken, including the disbanding of SARS, to compensate for the injustice suffered at the hands of errant officers.

He wrote, “Dear Nigerians, I know that many of you are angry, and understandably so. We could’ve moved faster and for this we are sorry.

“I fully understand how many young people feel. Many feel that we have been too silent and have simply not done enough. These feelings of frustration are justified.

“There are far too many people who have been brutalized at the hands of the police and this is unacceptable. We must take responsibility for protecting young people, even sometimes from those who are paid to protect them.

“Over the past week, we have been following the protests, and I have had a number of discussions with key people in the administration that you deserve to be informed about. Transparency, after all, is a key tenet of government.

“We understand that you want to see action from us and I’m here to tell you that work is ongoing. I chaired a meeting of 36 state governors and the Minister of the FCT (NEC), where we resolved to set up judicial panels of inquiry so we can see justice served, and fast.

“The reason being that only state governors, by law, can set up judicial inquiries in their states. The hearings will be public.”

Osinbajo also sent condolences to the families of Jimoh Isiaq, a protester killed on Sunday, and all those who had lost their lives “at the hands of wayward police officers.”

He added, “To those injured, I wish a full and speedy recovery. We have proposed that each state government set up a Victims’ Support Fund, which @NigeriaGov will support. This is the least that we can do to compensate for the injustice suffered at the hands of errant officers.

“We also understand that the issues that you’re raising are bigger than just SARS. They’re deep and systemic and we’re undertaking comprehensive measures that will revamp the police by addressing issues of welfare, service conditions, and training.”

BIG STORY

Video Footage Of Lekki Shooting Will Be Submitted To Judicial Panel —- Gov. Sanwo-Olu

Avatar

Published

on

Babajide Sanwo-Olu, governor of Lagos state, says the video footage of the shooting at Lekki tollgate will be submitted to the judicial panel on police brutality.

The governor said this during a live programme on ARISE TV on Thursday.

”Nobody ordered the removal of cameras at the Lekki tollgate. The MD of LCC said because of the curfew, they made the decision to take out installations,” he said.

”The cameras you saw are not security or motion cameras, they are laser cameras for vehicles. The security cameras are still available and we are using them for our security investigations.”

On Tuesday, soldiers opened fire on protesters who had converged on the tollgate to protest against police brutality.

The judicial panel was set up following protests against police brutality. It has already commenced sitting.

More to follow…

Continue Reading

BIG STORY

Buhari Must Address Nigerians, Senate Spokesperson, Ndume Insist

Avatar

Published

on

The Spokesperson for the Senate, Dr. Ajibola Basiru, and the Chairman, Senate Committee on Army, have asked the President, Major General Muhammadu Buhari (retd.), to comply with the National Assembly’s resolutions on the ongoing nationwide protests against police brutality and bad governance.

Part of the resolutions of the federal lawmakers included an appeal to Buhari to address the nation immediately on the issue.

Basiru and Ndume lamented the current situation in the country, especially the killing of innocent protesters by soldiers.

Ndume said, “I have monitored with shock and personal indignation, the turnout of events on the #EndSARS protest with evidence of obvious descent of the country, particularly in the South-West of Nigeria, after the reckless and disturbing incident at Lekki Tollgate on Tuesday evening.

“As a student, who was involved in several protests, I see no reason for the display of outright recklessness by shooting into unarmed protesters by whoever; governmental or otherwise.

“As an elected representative of the people of Osun Central in the Senate, I deprecate the clear lackadaisical attitude of the Federal Executive to the lingering anarchy and destruction of lives and property.

“At the sitting of the Senate on Tuesday, October 20, 2020, it was resolved that the President should address the nation, not knowing that the evening of that day will bring about more sinister dimensions to the already deteriorated situation.”

Ndume also insisted that Buhari must address the nation immediately in order to reduce the tension.

He said, “Mr President should talk to Nigerians. The Senate has passed a resolution, even though it is advisory, I think it is worth giving the necessary consideration. The parents of the protesting youths should also calm down their children.

“Those who are protesting now should know that the government has accepted their demands. They should be organized under a leadership, which will now follow up on the five-point demand, which the government is already considering.

“Any unconnected process without leadership would always end up in chaos,” he added.

Continue Reading

BIG STORY

#EndSARS Mayhem: I Instructed My Boys To Target Tinubu And His Investments —– Nnamdi Kanu [Audio Attached]

Avatar

Published

on

Leader of the outlawed group, IPOB Nnamdi Kanu has claimed responsibility for the mayhem that followed the #EndSARS protests in Lagos this week.

In a monitored phone-in program on Radio Biafra, Kanu pointedly claimed ” I gave instructions that my members must target Tinubu and his investments. Now, his hotel is in flames” he said boastfully

The Biafra leader vowed to relentlessly pursue Tinubu to anywhere he may be in Europe. ” We will track him down and make him see the anger of IPOB, the largest mass movement in the world. Just track him for me” he said

Shedding light on his involvement in the statewide mayhem, Kanu revealed that he asked his members to infiltrate the #EndSARS protesters and team up with the protesters, ” so we can make the country ungovernable. Our aim is very clear ”

“This will continue until we achieve our purpose of breaking the country or until people in the zoo realize that they have to let Biafra be” he vowed.

Listen to all he said below:

Continue Reading




JoIn Us On Facebook


Live COVID-19 statistics for
World
Confirmed
41,220,369
Recovered
28,116,565
Deaths
1,131,337
Last updated: 3 minutes ago






Most Popular

COVID-19 LIVE UPDATE

BE SAFE, STAY AT HOME