Connect with us

/">

BIG STORY

Osun Assembly Probes Alleged Diversion Of €10,000 Odion Ighalo Manchester United Transfer Share

Avatar

Published

on

The Osun State House of Assembly has begun a probe into allegations that a sum of €10,000, Osun United’s share in the transfer fee of Nigerian striker Odion Ighalo from Chinese side Shanghai Shenhua to Manchester United last January, has been diverted into private pockets.

Osogbo-based Osun United, formerly known as Prime FC, was the last local club former Super Eagles striker Ighalo played for before moving abroad to join Norwegian side Lyn Oslo in 2007.

Sources close to the club said Osun State Commissioner for Sports, Yemi Lawal, was among those invited to a meeting at the House Assembly last week over the issue.

Also at the meeting presided over by Chairman, House Committee on Sports, Adrullahi Adegbile, were officials of Osun United, led by the club secretary, Kabiru Adekunle, and the acting General Manager of Osun State Sports Council, Rotimi Oludunmoye.

Also mentioned as playing a role in the receipt of the money is Gbenga Ololade, the then acting General Manager of Prime FC, when Ighalo’s transfer to Lyn was sealed.

Chairman, Osun House Committee on Sports, Adegbile, said the committee was yet to complete its investigation.

He said, “When we got the information, we invited all the parties. After a thorough investigation into the issue, I assure you, we will make our findings public. We will still invite them this week.”

An official of Osun United, who spoke on the condition of anonymity, told The PUNCH that €10,000 was paid into Osun United’s Access Bank account in May, adding that a former president of the club and a present Director in the Ministry of Sports were the signatories to the account.

He added that the meeting with the House of Assembly members was inconclusive.

He added, “What rendered the discussion at the House of Assembly inconclusive was that the two signatories to the account were not present at the meeting.

“No doubt money was received and there was no disclosure to at least the management of Osun United, who operates the account. We were told to return for another meeting last week Friday on the issue by the Chairman, House Committee on Sports. Unfortunately, the Assembly members were not available.

“We are waiting for them to call us for another meeting. But no doubt, €10,000 was received in May this year on behalf of Osun United, and the whereabouts of the money is presently not known to the management of the team.”

When contacted for reaction, ex-acting General Manager of Prime FC, Ololade, said the House of Assembly was already investigating the matter, adding that all parties had been directed not to grant interviews until the completion of the investigation.

BIG STORY

Prosecute Soldiers Involved In Lekki Shootings, Reps Tell Buhari

Avatar

Published

on

The minority caucus of the House of Representatives has called on the President, Major General Muhammadu Buhari (retd.), to order the arrest and prosecution of soldiers who attacked #EndSARS protesters at the Lekki Tollgate on Tuesday night.

The Minority Leader, Mr Ndudi Elumelu, in a statement issued on Wednesday, “strongly” condemned the killing of “peaceful and unarmed” protesters by security operatives at Lekki Tollgate and other parts of the country.

The protesters were attacked by soldiers, who fired live ammunition at them after the Closed Circuit Television Cameras in the vicinity were reportedly removed and lights were turned off.

In the statement titled, ‘Reps Minority Condemns Killing of Protesters,’ the caucus said, “such wicked act of extrajudicial killing of defenseless citizens by suspected agents of the state cannot be justified or condoned under any rule or guise whatsoever.”

The statement partly read, “As lawmakers and representatives of the people, we cannot accept this gruesome execution of our young ones in their own country by security operatives. Life is sacred and no one has the right to terminate the life of another just because he has the apparatus of state power.

“Such brazen brutally and defilement of right to life, which is at the center of the ongoing protests across the nation, underscores the demand for an immediate and total overhaul of our nation’s security architecture.

“We, therefore, call on President Muhammadu Buhari to immediately order the arrest and prosecution of officers involved in the Lekki killing as well as the withdrawal of soldiers from engaging protesters.”

The caucus also restated its earlier call on Buhari to urgently rejig the nation’s security architecture through extensive reforms and urgent replacement of the service chiefs “with more competent and professional hands to assist in effectively handling of the security challenges confronting the nation.”

The caucus commiserated with the families of the victims of “this heinous act” while assuring them of immediate legislative actions that will ensure that justice is served.

Continue Reading

BIG STORY

BREAKING: Sanwo-Olu Condemns Shooting of Lekki Protesters, Apologises To Lagosians

Avatar

Published

on

Lagos Governor Babajide Sanwo-Olu has condemned the attack on #ENDSARS protesters by security forces on Tuesday evening in Lekki toll plaza.

He also announced the suspension of all state activities for three days in solidarity with the ongoing #ENDSARS protests and agitations across the state.

He stated the flag at all government facilities will be flown half-mast in the next three days.

He made these disclosures in a live broadcast this morning where he also gave updates on the shootings of protesters.

According to Sanwo-Olu, he went out all night with members of his team and they visited hospitals, mortuaries to get first-hand information on casualties

The governor said 24 of the injured were being treated at three hospitals- General Hospital (10); Reddington Hospitals (eight) and another hospital (six) adding that three of the victims had surgery and about four would be discharged today.

Appealing for calm, Sanwo-Olu apologized to the youths, reiterating their anger was justified.

He pleaded with parents/guardians to restrain their children/wards as the government makes efforts to contain the situation.

Details shortly…

Continue Reading

BIG STORY

BREAKING: Thugs Attack TVC Headquarters, Set BRT Station Ablaze In Lagos [VIDEOS]

Avatar

Published

on

A Nigerian television station, Television Continental (TVC) headquarters in the Ikosi-Ketu area of Lagos.

The hoodlums also attacked a Bus Rapid Transit (BRT) bus station in Oyingbo axis of Lagos State were said to have been attacked by hoodlums in the state.

More details soon.

 

Continue Reading




JoIn Us On Facebook


Live COVID-19 statistics for
World
Confirmed
40,776,541
Recovered
27,902,276
Deaths
1,124,668
Last updated: 2 minutes ago






Most Popular

COVID-19 LIVE UPDATE

BE SAFE, STAY AT HOME