Connect with us

/">

BIG STORY

It’s A Lie, I Didn’t Beg Obaseki To Return To APC, I Have Not Addressed The Press After Election —– Ize-Iyamu

Peter Okunoren

Published

on

The Pastor Osagie Ize-Iyamu Campaign Organisation has called on the traditional media to perform due diligence in reporting events arising from Edo State, as unprofessionalism would render them as tools for PDP.

This was in a statement by the Director of Communication and Media of the Osagie Ize-Iyamu Campaign Organisation, Mr John Mayaki, who reacted to claims that APC candidate, Pastor Osagie Ize-Iyamu appealed to Governor Godwin Obaseki to return to APC yesterday at a press conference in Abuja.

Mayaki, who noted that nothing of such happened, explained that the media has once again lent itself to the fabrications of Governor Godwin Obaseki and the PDP, as they did throughout the election.

“We warned several times that the media should beware of fabrications from Obaseki and the PDP camp, but they did not listen. That is why they have reported that the election was free and fair, and that is why they have said our candidate appealed to Obaseki to come back to APC. The video in reference is from three months ago, not after the election but doctored by Governor Obaseki media handlers to seek undue legitimacy”, he disclosed.

He also wondered if the media was being sponsored by Governor Obaseki and the PDP, as it seemed implausible that they actually believed the story. This is even more so when reporters in Benin city would report Pastor Osagie Ize-Iyamu who is currently in Abuja where the various media organizations are also domiciled – this is to tell you the suspicion inherent in the viral video.

“Pastor Ize-Iyamu was reported in the stories as speaking from Abuja, but it was the Benin reporters that covered the story. Were the reporters transported to Abuja? Do these media agencies actually believe the stories they carry? Obaseki and the PDP have a way of leaking false news to the media and the media has to be sensitive and professional in receiving this news.”

Meanwhile, Mayaki also warned that there is a fake Twitter account purporting to belong to Pastor Ize-Iyamu, which has been disseminating false information. He warned the media to avoid it like a plague and verify all their information before passing them on.

He said, “I only wish the media had been more professional during the elections; they were not and what is done is done. They don’t know how violent and anti-democratic it was in several parts of Edo State, including Egor in Benin City, and so they reported that the elections were free and fair. At least, going forward, let them verify all news before passing it on. It is the basic ethic of the profession”.

 

BIG STORY

Prosecute Soldiers Involved In Lekki Shootings, Reps Tell Buhari

Avatar

Published

on

The minority caucus of the House of Representatives has called on the President, Major General Muhammadu Buhari (retd.), to order the arrest and prosecution of soldiers who attacked #EndSARS protesters at the Lekki Tollgate on Tuesday night.

The Minority Leader, Mr Ndudi Elumelu, in a statement issued on Wednesday, “strongly” condemned the killing of “peaceful and unarmed” protesters by security operatives at Lekki Tollgate and other parts of the country.

The protesters were attacked by soldiers, who fired live ammunition at them after the Closed Circuit Television Cameras in the vicinity were reportedly removed and lights were turned off.

In the statement titled, ‘Reps Minority Condemns Killing of Protesters,’ the caucus said, “such wicked act of extrajudicial killing of defenseless citizens by suspected agents of the state cannot be justified or condoned under any rule or guise whatsoever.”

The statement partly read, “As lawmakers and representatives of the people, we cannot accept this gruesome execution of our young ones in their own country by security operatives. Life is sacred and no one has the right to terminate the life of another just because he has the apparatus of state power.

“Such brazen brutally and defilement of right to life, which is at the center of the ongoing protests across the nation, underscores the demand for an immediate and total overhaul of our nation’s security architecture.

“We, therefore, call on President Muhammadu Buhari to immediately order the arrest and prosecution of officers involved in the Lekki killing as well as the withdrawal of soldiers from engaging protesters.”

The caucus also restated its earlier call on Buhari to urgently rejig the nation’s security architecture through extensive reforms and urgent replacement of the service chiefs “with more competent and professional hands to assist in effectively handling of the security challenges confronting the nation.”

The caucus commiserated with the families of the victims of “this heinous act” while assuring them of immediate legislative actions that will ensure that justice is served.

Continue Reading

BIG STORY

BREAKING: Sanwo-Olu Condemns Shooting of Lekki Protesters, Apologises To Lagosians

Avatar

Published

on

Lagos Governor Babajide Sanwo-Olu has condemned the attack on #ENDSARS protesters by security forces on Tuesday evening in Lekki toll plaza.

He also announced the suspension of all state activities for three days in solidarity with the ongoing #ENDSARS protests and agitations across the state.

He stated the flag at all government facilities will be flown half-mast in the next three days.

He made these disclosures in a live broadcast this morning where he also gave updates on the shootings of protesters.

According to Sanwo-Olu, he went out all night with members of his team and they visited hospitals, mortuaries to get first-hand information on casualties

The governor said 24 of the injured were being treated at three hospitals- General Hospital (10); Reddington Hospitals (eight) and another hospital (six) adding that three of the victims had surgery and about four would be discharged today.

Appealing for calm, Sanwo-Olu apologized to the youths, reiterating their anger was justified.

He pleaded with parents/guardians to restrain their children/wards as the government makes efforts to contain the situation.

Details shortly…

Continue Reading

BIG STORY

BREAKING: Thugs Attack TVC Headquarters, Set BRT Station Ablaze In Lagos [VIDEOS]

Avatar

Published

on

A Nigerian television station, Television Continental (TVC) headquarters in the Ikosi-Ketu area of Lagos.

The hoodlums also attacked a Bus Rapid Transit (BRT) bus station in Oyingbo axis of Lagos State were said to have been attacked by hoodlums in the state.

More details soon.

 

Continue Reading




JoIn Us On Facebook


Live COVID-19 statistics for
World
Confirmed
40,776,541
Recovered
27,902,276
Deaths
1,124,668
Last updated: 4 minutes ago






Most Popular

COVID-19 LIVE UPDATE

BE SAFE, STAY AT HOME