Connect with us

/">

BIG STORY

Mompha Sues EFCC For N5m Over Fresh Arrest And Detention

Gbemileke Ajayi

Published

on

Internet personality, Ismaila Mustapha, alias Mompha, who is facing money laundering charges, has asked the Federal High Court in Lagos to compel the anti-graft agency to pay him N5m for what he termed his “unlawful re-arrest and detention.”

Recall that it was reported that Mompha, who is answering N32bn fraud charges, was re-arrested last Friday when he went to the EFCC office in Ikoyi, Lagos to reclaim his five wristwatches, one Apple Air pod, one iPhone 8 mobile phone and one pair of sunglasses seized from him by the anti-graft agency since last year.

The visit followed a July 24 ruling by Justice Mohammed Liman ordering the release of the seized items on the grounds that the EFCC did not list them as exhibits in court.

In the suit filed by his lawyer, Mr Gboyega Oyewole (SAN), on Tuesday, Mompha prayed the court to declare that his re-arrest and detention by the EFCC was unjustifiable and unlawful.

He is equally urging the court to declare that the continued seizure of the items violated his right to own property under Section 44 of the constitution.

He is praying the court to order the EFCC not only to free him but also to give him back the seized items and pay him N5m damages.

A litigation officer in the office of his lawyer, Kayode Adeboye, contended that Mompha’s arrest was baseless because he had been granted bail by the court and he never absconded.

According to Adeboye, in line with the bail conditions, Mompha had been reporting at the EFCC office fortnightly without defaulting.

But the spokesman for the EFCC, Mr Dele Oyewale, said Mompha’s re-arrest was connected to a fresh set of cyber fraud charges.

The court has yet to fix a date to hear Mompha’s N5m suit.

BIG STORY

Prosecute Soldiers Involved In Lekki Shootings, Reps Tell Buhari

Avatar

Published

on

The minority caucus of the House of Representatives has called on the President, Major General Muhammadu Buhari (retd.), to order the arrest and prosecution of soldiers who attacked #EndSARS protesters at the Lekki Tollgate on Tuesday night.

The Minority Leader, Mr Ndudi Elumelu, in a statement issued on Wednesday, “strongly” condemned the killing of “peaceful and unarmed” protesters by security operatives at Lekki Tollgate and other parts of the country.

The protesters were attacked by soldiers, who fired live ammunition at them after the Closed Circuit Television Cameras in the vicinity were reportedly removed and lights were turned off.

In the statement titled, ‘Reps Minority Condemns Killing of Protesters,’ the caucus said, “such wicked act of extrajudicial killing of defenseless citizens by suspected agents of the state cannot be justified or condoned under any rule or guise whatsoever.”

The statement partly read, “As lawmakers and representatives of the people, we cannot accept this gruesome execution of our young ones in their own country by security operatives. Life is sacred and no one has the right to terminate the life of another just because he has the apparatus of state power.

“Such brazen brutally and defilement of right to life, which is at the center of the ongoing protests across the nation, underscores the demand for an immediate and total overhaul of our nation’s security architecture.

“We, therefore, call on President Muhammadu Buhari to immediately order the arrest and prosecution of officers involved in the Lekki killing as well as the withdrawal of soldiers from engaging protesters.”

The caucus also restated its earlier call on Buhari to urgently rejig the nation’s security architecture through extensive reforms and urgent replacement of the service chiefs “with more competent and professional hands to assist in effectively handling of the security challenges confronting the nation.”

The caucus commiserated with the families of the victims of “this heinous act” while assuring them of immediate legislative actions that will ensure that justice is served.

Continue Reading

BIG STORY

BREAKING: Sanwo-Olu Condemns Shooting of Lekki Protesters, Apologises To Lagosians

Avatar

Published

on

Lagos Governor Babajide Sanwo-Olu has condemned the attack on #ENDSARS protesters by security forces on Tuesday evening in Lekki toll plaza.

He also announced the suspension of all state activities for three days in solidarity with the ongoing #ENDSARS protests and agitations across the state.

He stated the flag at all government facilities will be flown half-mast in the next three days.

He made these disclosures in a live broadcast this morning where he also gave updates on the shootings of protesters.

According to Sanwo-Olu, he went out all night with members of his team and they visited hospitals, mortuaries to get first-hand information on casualties

The governor said 24 of the injured were being treated at three hospitals- General Hospital (10); Reddington Hospitals (eight) and another hospital (six) adding that three of the victims had surgery and about four would be discharged today.

Appealing for calm, Sanwo-Olu apologized to the youths, reiterating their anger was justified.

He pleaded with parents/guardians to restrain their children/wards as the government makes efforts to contain the situation.

Details shortly…

Continue Reading

BIG STORY

BREAKING: Thugs Attack TVC Headquarters, Set BRT Station Ablaze In Lagos [VIDEOS]

Avatar

Published

on

A Nigerian television station, Television Continental (TVC) headquarters in the Ikosi-Ketu area of Lagos.

The hoodlums also attacked a Bus Rapid Transit (BRT) bus station in Oyingbo axis of Lagos State were said to have been attacked by hoodlums in the state.

More details soon.

 

Continue Reading




JoIn Us On Facebook


Live COVID-19 statistics for
World
Confirmed
40,776,541
Recovered
27,902,276
Deaths
1,124,668
Last updated: 4 minutes ago






Most Popular

COVID-19 LIVE UPDATE

BE SAFE, STAY AT HOME