Connect with us

/">

BIG STORY

PDP Will Defeat Akeredolu In Ondo State, Eyitayo Jegede Boasts

Avatar

Published

on

Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) governorship candidate in Ondo State Eyitayo Jegede (SAN) on Thursday promised to lead the party to victory in the October 10 poll.

He told reporters in Akure, the state capital, shortly after picking the ticket, that the days of Governor Rotimi Akeredolu (SAN) in the Alagbaka Government House were numbered.

Jegede said: “With this outcome, we have served notice on the APC. Their end has come. We will take over the government of Ondo State come October 10, 2020”.

But, Akeredolu, who defeated the PDP standard-bearer in the 2016 election, said there is no vacancy in the State House, adding that Jegede was under an illusion.

Akeredolu, who spoke through his Commissioner for Information and Orientation, Donald Ojogo, maintained that Jegede’s wishful thoughts were illusory permissible in politics.

He added: “This is more so that the euphoria of his victory over certain entrenched principalities was capable of igniting an outburst. But our message to Jegede is that he should beware of the ides of figure 888. It’s symbolic and too dangerous to ignore.”

The ruling and opposition parties confirmed fence-mending within their chapters yesterday as part of preparations for the election.

Akeredolu and Jegede have also commenced consultations on the choice of running mates. Both of them, according to sources may pick their running mates from the South Senatorial District.

According to a source, Jegede is under pressure to pick Deputy Governor Agboola Ajayi as his running mate.

Ajayi who dumped APC for the PDP last month came second in the PDP primary. He polled 657 votes, trailing Jegede who polled 888 votes.

Sources said Jegede is yet to open talks with Ajayi, although some PDP chieftains have been mounting pressure on him to pick Ajayi due to his ability to gather such votes within one month of joining the party.

The source said Jegede is putting off the pressure on grounds that he needed a running mate he could trust.

Read Also: Ondo 2020: Jegede under pressure to pick Ajayi as running mate
According to the source, “some PDP national leaders, including a governor from the Northwest have been talking to Jegede on the need to pick Ajayi as his running mate.

“They stressed that apart from the fact that Ajayi is a grassroots mobilizer, Jegede needs a running mate that can match whoever is picked by the APC as Akeredolu’s running mate from the southern senatorial district.

“But Jegede reportedly told them that it would be difficult for him to accept their offer because he does not want someone who would be working behind to oust him from office if he eventually becomes a governor.”

Ajayi and other aspirants have accepted the defeat and promised to work for Jegede’s victory.

Ajayi, in a statement, thanked the people for standing with the PDP ‘in the struggle to liberate the state’.

He said: “We remain undaunted and resolute about our commitment to a people-oriented government against personalized democracy. “We wish the good people of Ondo State and the winner the best as we march on. For us, life goes on.”

Also, Eddy Olafeso who got 175 votes, said he was ready to support Jegede if he (Jegede) was willing to seek his cooperation.

He said: “Our support to Jegede is not going to be blanket support. He will have to tell us what is the need for us. If our candidate is willing to seek our cooperation, then, at a very formal and informal level, we will have to talk. Most of what needed to be done rest with him.”

An APC aspirant, Dr. Nathaniel Adojutelegan has rejected the outcome of the primary that produced Akeredolu.

In his two-page petition to the APC national secretariat, Adojutelegan alleged that the primary fell short of the party’s constitution and the electoral laws.

He said: “The electoral college of delegates that voted in the governorship primary election was not democratically elected by members of the party from their various wards, contrary to the provisions of Article 20 of the Constitution of the All Progressives Congress (APC).

“The electoral college of delegates that voted in the governorship primary election was selected during the 2018 Congresses and not democratically elected by members of the party from their various wards, contrary to the provisions of Article 20 of the.”

The petitioner also referred the appeal committee to a pending suit against the selection of the members of the executive committees at the ward, local government, and state levels.

Adojutelegan also complained that “the mode of the primary was disclosed on Friday, 17 July, few days to the date of the primary, contrary to the guidelines.

“The delegates list was disclosed to the aspirants on 19 July 2020, few hours to the commencement of the governorship primary election contrary to the Guidelines, Rules, and Regulations of the APC.”

He alleged that “there were no polling booths. Tables were placed together, and voters were directed to vote at the same time on the same table. Thereby making them vote under duress and enabling them to confirm and verify how they voted in the election.

“The voters were permitted to use their mobile phones to take photographs of the ballot papers enabling them to confirm and verify how they voted in the election.

“The voters openly displayed their ballot papers enabling them to confirm and verify how they voted in the election.

“The voters were assembled closely together in a single line to drop their ballot papers in the ballot boxes enabling them to confirm and verify how they voted in the election.

He also alleged that Akeredolu and his agents propagated and spread false information about him on Twitter, Facebook, and Ondo State Radiovision Corporation that he had stepped down.

He said: “This premeditated act affected my fortunes in the election thereby causing the delegates that supported me to vote for the governor.”

The petitioner then prayed the appeal committee to declare the primary of 20 July 2020 Ondo State Governorship null and void, and cancel the result.

But, former Kebbi State Governor Muhammad Adamu Aliero called for unity, urging the Ondo State APC family to work for victory. He said it is important that APC should retain the state.

He spoke with reporters after the Ondo State APC Governorship Reconciliation Committee meeting at the party’s national secretariat on Thursday in Abuja.

The former Minister of Federal Capital Territory, who is a member of the committee, said efforts to pacify aggrieved chieftains will yield positive results.

Aliero said: “The governor has already emerged the winner, what is important is to carry everybody along to ensure victory for our party. We will do whatever that is possible to win the election in Ondo state. It is very critical to us.

“We will leave no stone unturned to ensure that we win that election.

“Already, we have gone to Ondo State in our effort for reconciliation and we spent a whole day there talking to aspirants and stakeholders and members of the state assembly.

“We are going to continue with the reconciliation. On Friday (tomorrow), we are going to invite members of the National Assembly representing Ondo to discuss how they will assist to ensure that we will win the election.

BIG STORY

Financial Recklessness: Pondei, Other NDDC Staff Spent N5bn As Medical Allowances During Lockdown —- Senate Report [Full Breakdown]

Avatar

Published

on

The Senate report on the alleged financial recklessness in the Niger Delta Development Commission has revealed how the top management of the agency shared N4.9bn among themselves in the guise of medical checkup.

The document also showed that the management paid N114.9m as a supplementary medical allowance to 26 staff members during the same period.

It stated that both disbursements were made when the nation was under lockdown to check COVID-19 spread.

The report was adopted and approved by the Senate shortly before it proceeded on its annual recess penultimate week.

A copy of the document obtained by our correspondent in Abuja on Monday indicated that the monies were paid to the individual accounts in March and April this year.

The document indicated that the acting Managing Director, Daniel Pondei, and the two executive directors got N14.2m each.

The report noted that no such payment took place during the first Interim Management Committee led by Joi Nunieh.

It nonetheless, stated that available data showed that the allowance had been in existence even though it appeared to have no specific policy underpinning it.

The report stated, “The three members of the Interim Management Committee received the highest amount of N142m each.

“Two other people, namely Evan Caroline Nagbo and Ms Cecilia Akintomide, took N12,387,500 each, while Peter Uwa Edieya was paid N10,340,000.

The report further added that four other members of staff collected about N8m each while 140 others collected an average of N7m each.

The NDDC management also paid 75 others N6m each while 153 staff members were paid N5.5m.

Four other categories of staff were paid between N4.1m and N4.8m while seven others got about N3m each.

The document further indicated that 804 staff members collected between N2.4m and N2.9m each.

Apart from these, the document showed that the management paid N114.9m as a supplementary medical allowance to 26 staff members.

No fewer than 15 of them got N7m while one of them collected N5.2m.

The rest however collected between N375, 000 and N550, 000 each.

The report indicated that “payment to all the 1,401 staff who received the allowance was made on 16 March 2020.”

It added that the distribution of the payment category and the number of staff did not suggest a regular hierarchical pattern and an absence of clear policy, which raised suspicion of arbitrariness.

The report also stated that the NDDC management used staff members for the distribution of Lassa Fever kits.

It explained that Personal Protective Kits were given to the 185 LGAs of the Niger Delta states through the NDDC staff.

The staff members, according to the document, were paid various amounts, ranging from N300,000 to N6,845,000, on April 15, 2020, for the distribution of the kits.

The report stated, “The total amount used for the distribution is N55,090,000.

“Twenty-nine employees were engaged in ‘Monitoring of the Emergency Response Programme on Lassa Fever Outbreak at a cost of N5,972,500’.

“NDDC did not provide any returns on the end-user beneficiaries which would have helped in evaluating the accountability and transparency of the programme. There was also no mention of the original target beneficiaries.

“NDDC management did not provide details of allocation of the Lassa fever Protective Kits per each state and LGA and how the distributors were assigned as well as the collated report on the distribution exercise.

“They should have justified the huge amount of money allocated for the exercise.”

The report further added that by its own record. NDDC spent N808.9m as imprest between October 29 2019 and May 23. 2020.

It stated that “this covers a period of seven months during most of which the nation was on lockdown.

“Given that significant amount was also expended on travels, duty tour allowance during this period, payment of bills, it is difficult to justify this huge amount as imprest necessary for the services of the commission.”

Continue Reading

BIG STORY

mediaReach OMD Employs Data On Media Consumption To Aid Businesses In Navigating The New Normal

Peter Okunoren

Published

on

mediaReach OMD, a frontline marketing and media agency, had during this period of the coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic, guided media planners, buyers, and businesses in their investment bid with data-driven newsletters on media consumption habit to maximize profits and increase productivity and to navigate the new normal.

Published in ThisDay Newspapers and titled “COVID-19 and Media Consumption Habit, What has Changed?,” the newsletters are a culmination of the sequence of information aimed at examining the potential impact of the pandemic on audience behaviour and media consumption in Nigeria.

It also contains thought starters and needed actions regarding adaptation of the definition of the new normal posed by the pandemic.

Against this backdrop, the Managing Director of the Agency, Nitinchandra Nandekar, said the firm has been monitoring changes in media consumption and adapting to innovative ways of connecting with the target audience, through data-led approaches to guide clients’ investments during the COVID-19 lockdown/post lockdown.

Nandekar avowed that while businesses, especially the marketing and media ecosystem waits for an end to this deadly disease which has dealt a hard blow on world economies, the journey to success will continue to be guided with key principles, including being ready for the day after.

The foremost media agency with presence in Nigeria, West, and Central Africa, posits that media consumption which is in favour of the TV continues to be stable with much attention on genres like news and entertainment, while businesses are now adopting a more creative and innovative form of operations with adaptation to the new normal.

Commending the media agency for these initiatives, the Chairman and Managing Director of Expand Global Industries Limited, Rajat Kapur, said as a global partner of Henkel for Media Investment Solutions, MediaReach OMD helps not only in the normal ways but regularly releases data-driven media intelligence information newsletters which ensure that Henkel is prepared to deal with the new normal characterised by the pandemic.

This, he said, contains the changing consumer habits, the higher need for hygiene-based products and the changing media landscape, all highlighted for a better clearer and stronger media investment leading to best in class equity development of Henkel’s brands.

In his remark, the President of the National Institute of Marketing of Nigeria (NIMN), Tony Agenmonmen, said the breakout of the pandemic has been a defining moment for the world.

He affirmed that the deadly disease came with uncertainty and fear because no one knows exactly what was going on, not even the experts, including the World Health Organization (WHO) which has been struggling a bit.

“A bewildered world therefore became anxious and hungry for news. And with the lockdowns in almost all parts of the world, consumers were hungry for information. They tried to stay connected to all the news about the pandemic and social media was the greatest beneficiary,” he said.

Agenmonmen continued “It helped that some brands understood this and were able to help in providing the information in ways that were not seen as exploiting the fears and worries of consumers. Six months down the line, it appears that the world has come to accept that we will have to live with it for an indeterminate while. The fears remain.”

On the importance of data to investment, the NIMN President remarked that without it, organisations cannot plan their daily activities properly. “Data is life, it is very critical in running your day-to-day investment. If you have the right data, then you are on the right path to success,” he avowed.

Continue Reading

BIG STORY

COVID-19: Air Peace Sacks 70 Pilots, Cuts Salaries By 40%

Avatar

Published

on

A Nigerian airline, Air Peace, has sacked over 70 pilots across its fleet.

It also reduced staff salaries by up to 40 percent.

A member of the National Association of Aircraft Pilots and Engineers disclosed this to one of our correspondents, craving anonymity.

The source said the number of sacked pilots was between 70 and 75 in total.

The management of the airline, however, linked the pilots’ disengagement to the devastating impact of the COVID-19 pandemic.

The pilots had, on July 22, protested a major pay cut after negotiations with the management over their remuneration broke down.

A statement issued on Monday by Mr. Stanley Olise, spokesperson of the airline, described the sacking of the pilots as “painful but rightful decision.”

Part of the statement read, “The airline cannot afford to toe the path of being unable to continue to fulfill its financial obligations to its staff, external vendors, aviation agencies, maintenance organizations, insurance companies, banks, and other creditors, hence the decision to restructure its entire operations with a view to surviving the times.

“The pandemic has hit every airline worldwide, so badly that it has become very impossible for airlines to remain afloat without carrying out an internal restructuring of their costs.

“Anything short of what we have done may lead to the collapse of an airline as could be seen in some places worldwide during this period. Therefore, we decided to review the salaries being paid to all staff.

“The new salaries reflect a zero per cent-40 percent cut of the former salary, depending on the salary grades of every staff. Even after the cuts, it was obvious that for us to be able to sustain our operations and survive the times, some jobs must inevitably have to go.

“Air Peace has never, for one day, ever owed salaries to its workers in its almost six years of existence, pilots inclusive. Rather, the management of Air Peace has always been known to be increasing salaries of its employees periodically, without being prompted by staff.

“In fact, in one fell swoop, Air Peace increased the salaries of pilots by over 100 percent in one day. Our salaries have always been paid even before the end of the month in the last five years.

“The decision is a reflection of the negative impact of the pandemic on airlines and aviation worldwide.

“We are in trying times. Even the biggest airlines in Europe, America, Middle East, Asia, Australia, and, indeed, Africa, are all either slashing jobs and cutting salaries in order to remain afloat or are shutting down.

“Air Peace is not immune from these challenges.”

Continue Reading




JoIn Us On Facebook


Live COVID-19 statistics for
World
Confirmed
18,281,475
Recovered
10,912,349
Deaths
693,678
Last updated: 2 minutes ago






Most Popular

COVID-19 LIVE UPDATE

BE SAFE, STAY AT HOME