Connect with us


/">

BIG STORY

GoKada CEO Brutally Murdered In Apartment, Head, Limbs Cut Off

Avatar

Published

on

The limbless, headless torso of the chief executive of Gokada, Fahim Saleh, was found inside his Manhattan condo Tuesday afternoon with an electric saw lying next to the remains, police said.

Police made the diabolic discovery in a building on E. Houston St. at Suffolk St. on the Lower Eastside about 3:30 p.m.

Police found contractor bags near the torso, sources said, but didn’t immediately open them to see if the body parts were inside.

An NYPD official said investigators believe the victim is tech entrepreneur Fahim Saleh, 33, a millionaire tech entrepreneur who bought the condo for $2.25 million last year.

Saleh, a website developer turned venture capital, is the CEO of a motorcycle-sharing company in Lagos, Nigeria.

NYPD spokesman Sgt. Carlos Nieves said all of the body parts were found at the scene but declined to give specifics on where.

“We have a torso, a head that’s been removed, arms, and legs. Everything is still on the scene. We don’t have a motive,” he said.

Detectives were waiting for fingerprint and forensics tests on the body, police sources said.

The NYPD went to the seventh-floor condo after the victim’s sister called 911. She came calling Tuesday because she hadn’t seen her brother in a day, then discovered his dismembered corpse, an NYPD spokesman said.

An elevator surveillance camera may have caught the victim’s last moments, sources said. It shows the victim getting into the elevator Monday, followed quickly by a second man, dressed in a suit, wearing gloves, a hat and a mask over his face.

After the victim walked out onto his floor, he fell immediately, possibly shot or stunned.

“The perp had a suitcase. He was very professional,” one police source said.

The curtains were drawn at the newly-constructed apartment building, where condos were sold starting at $2.15 million last year.

Neighbor Daniel Faust, 40, said he saw police lead two women from the building.

“There was one that came first, with short black hair. Then a second one came, a little taller and with long hair. They were just hysterical, I guess in disbelief. And then they left with the detectives,” he said.

Police also brought a dog, a mid-sized Pomsky, out of the building, he said.

Saleh has described his history as an entrepreneur in a series of posts on Medium.com. He got his start creating a prank calling website, then moved on to create a motorcycle taxi company in his parents’ native Bangladesh.

Most recently, he started Gokada, a motorcycle ride-sharing company in Lagos, but the company faced setbacks and mass layoffs after Lagos banned companies like his in January.

Detectives took his sister to the 7th Precinct stationhouse Tuesday night and ushered her away from reporters.

Later, two of Saleh’s friends, a man, and a woman, arrived at the precinct to check on his sister.

“He was extremely smart, ambitious, very kind,” the female friend said. “Always smiling.”

They described him as a self-made millionaire who brought tech companies into nations like Nigeria and Indonesia, an energetic person who loved gadgets and video games.

Though they believe he was targeted, he never acted like he was worried about anything, the friend said.

“He never said he was scared,” the male friend said. “[He was] always very happy-go-lucky.”

They said he had just moved in recently to this apartment – somewhere around the end of 2019. Saleh posted a photo of his new home on Twitter in December.

“I hope they find that person,” he said.

“Very nice guy,” said Susan Jeffers, who lived in Saleh’s last apartment building on E. 28th St. said. “We met him right at the end of him living here…. He was a young dude from Bangladesh.”

Another woman who works in his old building called Saleh a “big-time person.”

BIG STORY

Rehabilitation: FG To Shut 3rd Mainland Bridge For Another 3 Days

Gbemileke Ajayi

Published

on

The Federal Government has announced plans for the total shutdown of the Third Mainland Bridge for three days to allow for ongoing rehabilitation works on the bridge.

Federal Controller of Works in Lagos, Mr Olukayode Popoola who announced this, Wednesday, explained that the closure is to allow for repairs of the delicate expansion joints replacement. According to Popoola, the closure would take effect from midnight on Friday to midnight of February 1.

“The construction works have reached the stage for casting concrete on additional three expansion joints, hence the need to stop all movements on the bridge that could cause vibrations,” he said.

Popoola added that the 72 hours closure was to ensure that the concrete sets properly during the curing process’ to make the rehabilitation works perfectly and durable.

He, therefore, urged motorists and residents to be patient, saying that, President Muhammadu Buhari’s administration was passionate about quality infrastructure delivery and safety of road users.

Popoola continued, “The contractor is planning to cast three number expansion joints on January 30 and Sunday 31.

”This will require total closure of Third Mainland bridge from 12:00 midnight of Friday 29th till midnight of February 1, 2021.

“We are sorry for the inconveniences this may cause Lagosians,” Popoola said. Recall that the Third Mainland Bridge in Lagos, which is going through series of repairs, had to be partially shut on July 24 for rehabilitation works.

The construction was initially divided into two phases of three months on each carriageway, starting with the Oworonsoki bound carriageway whose completion dragged to four months.
Minister of Works and Housing, Babatunde Fashola, while carrying out an inspection of the ongoing construction work said the Federal Government was committed to the speedy completion of repair work of the bridge which is scheduled to be reopened on February 15, 2021, to traffic.

A section of the bridge at Adekunle point has also been shut down for two weeks to allow for repairs.

Fashola expressed hope that the bridge would be reopened on February 15 to enable the government to begin work on the Falomo Bridge.

He explained that work on the Falomo Bridge was being delayed to avert the gridlock that may ensue.

“On the Third Mainland Bridge most of our work is almost done, we lost two weeks during the civil protest and our completion date earlier was towards the end of January, which has slipped.

“We are hoping that by February 15, we should be done and the bridge should be opened to the public.

“That is one of the reasons why I also came to see how far and when this bridge will be opened to the public because this is delaying our work on Falomo Bridge.

“We have done some work on Falomo Bridge, we are going to have to close Falomo Bridge as soon as this is done so that we can also replace the expansion joints there.

“All the other preliminary work has been done there, but we left it in order to reduce the inconvenience to commuters in and around Lagos.

“So, the Eko Bridge that was closed is opened now, this one (Third Mainland Bridge) is going to be opened by February 15.”

The 11.8km bridge is the longest of the three bridges connecting Lagos Island to the Mainland. The bridge begins from Oworonshoki, which is linked to the Apapa-Oshodi Expressway and the Lagos-Ibadan Expressway, and ends at the Adeniji Adele Interchange on Lagos Island.

Continue Reading

BIG STORY

UK Imposes Travel Ban On 30 Countries Amid Worries Of New COVID Variant, Exempt Nigeria

Avatar

Published

on

Nigeria has been exempted from a list of 30 countries that have been banned from entering the United Kingdom over rising COVID-19 cases.

With over 3.7 million cases and more than 100,000 deaths, the UK is one of the top five countries with the highest number of confirmed infections.

Nigeria has recorded over 124,000 cases with more than 1,500 deaths.

In a statement on the government’s website, the UK announced that nationals from 30 countries, some of which are in South America and Southern Africa, will be banned from entering the country.

The list excludes British and Irish nationals or others who possess resident visas.

This development comes amid discoveries of new virus strains such as B.1.1.7 found in the UK, B.1.351 discovered in South Africa, and P.1 variant identified in Brazil.

“People who have been in or transited through the countries listed below in the last 10 days will not be granted access to the UK,” the statement reads.

“This does not include British and Irish Nationals, or third-country nationals with residence rights in the UK, who will be able to enter the UK but are required to self-isolate for 10 days on arrival along with their household.”

The affected countries include Angola, Argentina, Bolivia, Botswana, Brazil, Cape Verde, Chile, Colombia, Democratic Republic of Congo, Ecuador, and Eswatini.

Others are French Guiana, Guyana, Lesotho, Malawi, Mauritius, Mozambique, Namibia, Panama, Paraguay, Peru, Portugal (including Madeira and the Azores), Seychelles, South Africa, Suriname, Tanzania, Uruguay, Venezuela, Zambia, and Zimbabwe.

Addressing members of parliament on Wednesday, Boris Johnson, UK prime minister, said citizens must have valid reasons to travel outside the country before permission is granted at the airports and ports.

He said such measure is meant to curtail the spread of the virus from other countries to the UK.

“I want to make clear that under the stay home regulations, it is illegal to leave home to travel abroad for leisure purposes,” he said.

“We will enforce this at ports and airports by asking people why they are leaving and instructing them to return home if they do not have a valid reason to travel.”

Continue Reading

BIG STORY

IGP Orders Probe Of Female Cop Sacked For Getting Pregnant

Avatar

Published

on

The Inspector-General of Police, Mohammed Adamu, has ordered a probe of the sacking of a female corporal, Olajide Omolola because she got pregnant out of wedlock.

Adamu disclosed this on Tuesday while commissioning a project at the SPOs quarters on Oba Aladejobi Street, in the GRA area of Ikeja, Lagos State on Wednesday.

When told that a policewoman had been dismissed on the claim that she got pregnant out of wedlock, he said, “Let us do our own investigation and find out because whatever I say must be authoritative.”

It was earlier reported that Nigerians had been expressing outrage over the circumstances surrounding Omolola’s sacking, adding that they slammed the Nigeria Police Force over what they described as a discriminatory law and called on rights groups to fight for the woman.

The police, in a wireless message with reference number CJ:4161/EKS/IY/Vol.2/236, DTO:181330/01/2021 obtained by our correspondent said Omolola was dismissed for getting pregnant while unmarried.

The signal originated from the Department of Finance and Administration in Ado Ekiti and was addressed to the Divisional Police Officer at Iye Ekiti, where Omolola was based.

The chief financial officer in Ekiti was asked to relay the information to the Integrated Personnel and Payroll Information System to ensure that her salary was stopped.

The document read, “Section 127 of the Police Act and Regulation against women police getting pregnant before marriage; W/PC (woman corporal) Olajide Omolola passed out of Police Training School on 24/04/2020 attached to yours, contravened above provisions.

“She stands dismissed from the Force. Debit her. Retrieve police documents in her possession with immediate effect. O/C CFO Ekiti only. You are to relay a signal to IPPIS Abuja for the stoppage of her salary with immediate effect.

“DECOMPOLS (Deputy Commissioners of Police)/ACPOLS (Assistant Commissioners of Police)/HODs/DPOs Ekiti State only. You are to lecture women police. Treat as very urgent.”

Continue Reading

Most Popular