Connect with us

/">

BIG STORY

2,191 COVID-19 Patients Yet To Report For Treatment —– Lagos Govt

Avatar

Published

on

The Lagos State Government has said that 2,191 COVID-19 patients who are located across communities have yet to submit themselves for treatment at the state care centres.

The state Commissioner for Health, Prof Akin Abayomi, who disclosed this on Friday, added that residents of the state must continue to take the responsibility of wearing face masks in public in addition to regular handwashing and physical distancing.

Abayomi said on his Twitter handle that the total number of COVID-19 tests conducted in the state stood at 45,490.

He said, “The new cases bring the total number of confirmed COVID-19 infections in Lagos to 11,537 as of Wednesday. Also, 2,191 active cases in communities have yet to turn up for admission in COVID-19 Lagos care centres. For a greater Lagos, we take responsibility by wearing our face masks when in public spaces in addition to regular handwashing and physical distancing.

“Stopping the community spread of COVID-19 begins with you. Staying alive and safe together begins with us. 1,753 of the confirmed cases have since been discharged from COVID-19 care centres following full recovery while 7,059 of the confirmed cases are being monitored in communities by the COVID-19 Lagos response team.”

Meanwhile, the Lagos State Commissioner for Education, Mrs Folasade Adefisayo, has said the state government will on Monday come out with its reaction to the cancellation of the West Africa Senior Secondary School Certificate Examinations by the Federal Government.

Adefisayo, who spoke with our correspondent on the telephone, said the state was still reviewing the Federal Government’s decision and would soon make its stance known.

She said, “We are still reviewing the situation and will let you know our decision on Monday. I don’t want to say more than that; give us time. It is something we can’t respond to now. There is not enough clarity; so it’s better to speak when I do.”

Meanwhile, the Nigerian Centre for Disease Control said on Friday that the country recorded 575 new COVID-19 cases nationwide to bring the total cases to 31,323. The NCDC noted that 12,795 patients had been discharged while 709 deaths had occurred.

The Minister of State for Education, Emeka Nwajiuba, during the press briefing by the Presidential Task Force on COVID-19 on Monday, announced that the 2020 WASSCE conducted by WAEC would hold between August 4 and September 5.

But Adamu said on Wednesday that all federal schools would remain closed until it was safe to reopen them.

He also urged state governments that have announced school’s resumption plans to rescind such.

BIG STORY

N41 Billion Nitel Fraud: UBA, Elumelu Challenges Senator Akinyelure, Demands Apology

Avatar

Published

on

The United Bank for Africa (UBA) Plc has denied claims credited to the chairman of the Senate Committee on Ethics, Privileges and Public Petitions Senator Ayo Akinyelure alleging the bank’s involvement and the indictment of its chairman Tony Elumelu in a N41 billion NITEL fraud.

In a letter made available to PorscheClassy News on Monday, Mr Elumelu’s lawyers demanded a public apology and retraction of the claim within seven days of receipt of the letter or face legal action.

The said reports credited to Akinyelure alleged the amount was withdrawn “systematically from NITEL for nine years” under the leadership of the UBA.

“Our Client is shocked by this false, baseless, and mischievous allegation as neither he nor any of the organizations associated with him has ever been involved in or indicted for any fraud as was falsely alleged by Senator Ayo Akinyelure,” the letter by Elumelu’s lawyers read.

“Our Client is also alarmed and appalled by this deliberate peddling of falsehood and misinformation against an unblemished personal and business reputation, painstakingly built by our Client over several decades with great personal sacrifice and unquestionable integrity.

“Our Client has instructed us to, and we have demanded an immediate open, public and unreserved retraction of the said statements credited to Senator Akinyelure and an apology from Senator Akinyelure for this false allegation and defamation of our Client,” it added.

Group Managing Director/CEO of UBA, Kennedy Uzoka, is due to appear before the Senate committee on Wednesday.

Continue Reading

BIG STORY

REPORT: Marketers Stockpile Petrol, August Fuel Price May Hit N150 Per Litre

Avatar

Published

on

Filling station owners are currently in a panic buying mood, as many of them are stockpiling products ahead of the announcement of a new pump price for petrol in August, an investigation has shown.

It was also gathered that the price of the commodity might increase to about N150/litre as the committee saddled with the task of fixing the petrol price had been meeting and would make the new price public soon.

Marketers and officials of the Petroleum Products Pricing Regulatory Agency told our correspondent in Abuja on Sunday that the rise in crude oil price in the international market could lead to an increase in petrol price.

They noted that since March this year, the cost of Premium Motor Spirit, popularly called petrol, had always been adjusted based on the global prices of crude oil.

“There is panic buying and it is because of the worry that prices will be reviewed either downwards or upwards. But because of the marginal rise in crude oil prices, the calculation is that petrol price could go up,” the National President, Petroleum Products Retail Outlets Owners Association of Nigeria, Billy Gillis-Harry, said.

He added, “That is the situation and this was why we requested that there should be a stakeholders’ engagement every month or quarterly so that we can be sure of what to expect.”

He said many marketers who had stockpiled products were ready to sell at the current rate regardless of any increase.

Gillis-Harry noted that the failure of the pricing regulator to involve marketers in the price-fixing process was putting dealers in a bad light.

He, however, stated that a lot of marketers had determined not to hike petrol cost immediately, particularly if there was an increase in the price of PMS in August.

The PETROAN president said, “Many of our members have been buying products since (July) 22nd and now they have products lined up, hoping that if PPPRA increases the price, they will manage the cost in a way that Nigerians will know that we are not out to profiteer.

“We are out there to give service. So if we got products at this current rate of about N143 and they are ready to shoot the price up to N155, which is what is being anticipated, we will still sell at N143.”

Gillis-Harry said marketers would not take advantage of any petrol price increase, adding that a task force had already been established to work on enforcement of agreed terms.

He further noted that marketers had written to the petroleum minister, the PPPRA, the Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation and the Pipelines and Products Marketing Company on the need to involve marketers when fixing prices.

Gillis-Harry said, “From March to July, there was no clear-cut permutation or formula that we as marketers can affirm that this is the reason why the price changed from this to that. We don’t have it.

“And we’ve kept asking what the parameters are because the information we have is that marketers margin is going to increase. There was no such increase in the margin; rather, there was the depletion of our buying capital.”

In June, the PPPRA insisted that it would continue providing price bands for petrol despite opposition by oil marketers regarding the move.

It also declared that regulation for PMS price had been established in collaboration with the Federal Ministry of Petroleum Resources and the Office of the Attorney-General of the Federation.

The Executive Secretary, PPPRA, Abdulkadir Saidu, argued that different sectors of the polity operated under the guidance of national regulators.

He said, “The Central Bank of Nigeria regulates the banks and other financial sector operators, the National Communication Commission regulates telecommunications, etc, and the same exists for operators in Nigeria’s downstream petroleum sector.

“To this end, it is not out of place for the agency (PPPRA) to provide a guiding price band with the aim to protect consumers against price gouging.

“It is important to also state that there is nowhere in the world that deregulation means total lack of control, supervision or oversight.”

Saidu noted that while the market-based pricing regime was a policy introduced to free the market of all encumbrances to investment and growth, it should not be misconstrued to mean a total abdication of government’s responsibility to the sector and citizenry.

On the need for a regulatory/legal framework for PMS pricing, he said extant laws gave the agency the legislative backing to formulate policy initiatives on pricing regime.

“In accordance with the above, the development of Guidelines for Petroleum Products Commercial Framework has been concluded and Code of Conducts for Operators is currently being firmed up to reflect the present price regime,” Saidu said.

He added, “The agency, in collaboration with the Office of the Minister of State for Petroleum Resources and Office of the Attorney-General of the Federation has put in place regulation on the PMS market-based pricing regime.”

On Sunday, the spokesperson for PPPRA, Kimchi Apollo, told our correspondent that the committee saddled with the task of coming with the new price for August was working on it.

“The committee has been working on the new price and I will keep you updated as soon as the cost for August is arrived at,” Apollo said.

But oil marketers insisted that it was high time the government intervened in the matter by making owners of filling stations to be involved in the process of fixing the price of petrol.

PUNCH

Continue Reading

BIG STORY

JUST IN: Shoprite Announces Plan To Quit Nigeria, To Sell Business [Full Statement]

Avatar

Published

on

Africa’s largest food retailer, Shoprite is making plans to exit the Nigerian market after posting continuous losses from its operations in the West African countries.

Shoprite said it was planning to discontinue its operations in Nigeria in a trading update filed at the Johannesburg Stock Exchange (JSE) on Monday morning.

“Following approaches from various potential investors, and in line with our re-evaluation of the Group’s operating model in Nigeria, the Board has decided to initiate a formal process to consider the potential sale of all, or a majority stake, in the retail Supermarkets Nigeria Limited, a subsidiary of Shoprite International Limited,” the update read.

“As such, Retail Supermarkets Nigeria Limited may be classified as a discontinued operation when Shoprite reports its results for the year. Any further updates will be provided to the market at the appropriate time.”

Shoprite was launched in Nigeria nearly 15 years ago, opening its first store in Lagos in December 2005.

The business has since grown from one to more than 20 retail stores across Nigeria — including some of the biggest retail stores in west Africa.

Continue Reading




JoIn Us On Facebook


Live COVID-19 statistics for
World
Confirmed
18,078,392
Recovered
10,689,708
Deaths
689,337
Last updated: 6 minutes ago






Most Popular

COVID-19 LIVE UPDATE

BE SAFE, STAY AT HOME