Connect with us


/">

BIG STORY

COVID-19: Governor Ikpeazu’s Aides Clash With Hospital Staff In Abuja

Avatar

Published

on

Some aides of Governor Okezie Ikpeazu of Abia State, who had earlier tested positive for Coronavirus, on Thursday clashed with hospital staff at a private facility in Abuja where their principal is currently undergoing treatment.

Trouble started when the governor’s aides arrived at the hospital facility and insisted on accessing their principal, who had equally tested positive for the dreaded Coronavirus but were barred from seeing him.

The hospital management was said to have resisted their move and assured that the governor was recovering, but all plea fell on deaf ears. This led to a few minutes of altercation including a verbal exchange between the aides and hospital staff.

A source in the hospital, who craved anonymity, said it took the intervention of “special security force” in the nation’s capital to calm the situation. The source, however, assured that there was no cause for alarm.

“Yes, he (Ikpeazu) had sought treatment here some days ago and has been at our private facility since then. He is showing signs of improvement and recovery,” the source said.

Asked about the altercations on Thursday, the source said, “It is a case of some overzealous aides (of the governor) who wants their principal well at all cost. The situation is under control.”

The source, however, said the aides have since been returned to their various facilities to continue their COVID-19 treatment. They include the governor’s Personal Assistant, Chiamaeze Nwafor, Driver, and a Security Aide.

Efforts to obtain comment from the State Commissioner for Information, Chief John Okiyi Kalu, proved abortive. A text message sent to his known phone line was yet to be responded to as at the time of filing this report.

The news of Governor Okezie Ikpeazu testing positive for Coronavirus had earlier broken the internet. Government House sources had disclosed that the governor was being “flown out of the state for better attention.”

BIG STORY

Nigeria Military Faults UN Report, Says 43 Borno Farmers Killed

Avatar

Published

on

The Defence Headquarters, on Monday, faulted a report by the United Nations that 110 civilians were killed by Boko Haram in Saturday onslaught on farmers in the Jere Local Government Area of Borno State.

The Coordinator, Defence Media Operations, Maj. Gen. John Enenche said as of Monday morning, 43 corpses were recovered from the incident scene in the Zabarmari area of the northeast state.

The terrorists were reported to have tied up the farmers, who were working on rice fields, before slitting their throats.

On Sunday, the UN Humanitarian Coordinator in Nigeria, Edward Kallon, disclosed that at least 110 persons died in the horrific attack.

But reacting on Monday morning, Enenche said the troops counted the corpses together with the locals and 43 deaths were recorded.

He spoke while featuring on Channels Television’s Sunrise Daily programme.

He said, “I knew it (the issue) is going to come up particularly because it is coming from the United Nations and not a source that does not want to be identified. This is a source that has identified itself that a 110 specifically (were murdered).”

Enenche, however, explained that he contacted the field commandants and “they gave me a synopsis of what happened. When the governor was to go (to the scene) and after they had recovered the dead, the troops had to move in there and they counted 43.

“Of course, some people ran into the bush and they started coming back and trickling in.

“As at 2 pm yesterday (Sunday), I called them and they got back to me at about 7 pm yesterday, still counting, looking if they will recover (more corpses). We call it Exploitation After Action Review.”

The DHQ Coordinator said the search for more remains of victims is still on but insisted that 43 corpses were retrieved from the scene as of today.

“Probably we may count up to the figure he (Kallon) gave in the future but as it is now, what we have counted with the locals is still 43 and we are hoping that we don’t get beyond that.

“This is the real situation. I did not sleep, we had to follow it because this is very relevant coming from the United Nations.”

The massacre of the rice farmers, who were buried yesterday, has attracted strong international and national condemnations with some Nigerians calling on the President, Major General Muhammadu Buhari (retd.), to sack the country’s service chiefs and overhaul the security architecture of Nigeria.

Continue Reading

BIG STORY

Police In Argentina Launches Probe Into Diego Maradona’s Death, Raid Doctor’s Home and Clinic

Avatar

Published

on

Police in Argentina has launched an investigation into Diego Maradona’s death.

Less than four days after the football legend suffered a fatal heart attack, officers raided the home and private clinic of one of his doctors.

They are working to establish whether the sporting great was treated with negligence prior to his death at the age of 60. His daughters have reportedly demanded to know what medication their father was taking.

On Sunday, several officers were seen stationed outside the house of neurologist Dr Leopoldo Luque in Buenos Aires.

Afterward, Dr. Luque told reporters that he had given investigators all records of his treatment of the footballer, as well as computers, hard drives, and mobile phones.

Growing tearful, he defended his treatment of the troubled star, who died on Wednesday. “I know what I did. I know how I did it…. I am absolutely sure that I did the best for Diego, the best I could,” he said.

The doctor added that he was not Maradona’s chief physician, but part of a medical team. The 60-year-old, one of the greatest footballers of all time, was buried on Thursday in a private ceremony attended by just two dozen people.

It followed a public vigil at the country’s presidential palace where tens of thousands of weeping fans lined up to file past his coffin.

Maradona died in a house outside the Argentinian capital where he had been recovering from a brain operation on November 3. He had suffered from a long series of medical issues, some related to overindulgence in drugs and alcohol.

He was reportedly near death in 2000 and 2004. Dr Luque described the former sportsman as a difficult patient, revealing that he had kicked the doctor out of his house several times. “Diego did what he wanted,” Dr Luque said. “Diego needed help. There was no way of getting through to him.”

 

Continue Reading

BIG STORY

110 Rice Farmers Murdered By Boko Haram In Borno Attack —– United Nations

Peter Okunoren

Published

on

The United Nations says more than 100 civilians were killed during an attack on farmers in Borno state on Saturday.

Although close to 45 persons were initially reported to have been killed in Jere local government area of Borno on Saturday, following an attack by armed men said to be members of the Boko Haram sect, the UN says “at least 110 civilians” were killed.

Edward Kallon, UN resident and humanitarian coordinator in Nigeria, in a statement on Sunday, described the incident as “the most violent attack” targeted at civilians in 2020.

“I am outraged and horrified by the gruesome attack against civilians carried out by non-state armed groups in villages near Borno State capital Maiduguri. At least 110 civilians were ruthlessly killed and many others were wounded in this attack,” he said.

“In the early afternoon of 28 November, armed men on motorcycles led a brutal attack on civilian men and women who were harvesting their fields in Koshobe and other rural communities in Jere Local Government Area. Reports we are receiving are indicating these innocent farmers were the victims of this callous violence.

“I extend my sincere condolences to the families of the civilians who lost their lives in this atrocious attack. I also wish a speedy recovery to those who were wounded in the incident.

“We have also received reports that several women may have been kidnapped. I call for their immediate release and return to safety.

“My thoughts are also with the rural communities in the area, who are shocked by the brutality of yesterday’s attack and fear for their safety.

“The entire UN system and the humanitarian community working to provide life-saving and development assistance to the most vulnerable in Borno State is outraged by the incident. Such direct attacks against innocent civilians jeopardize the ability of the most vulnerable people to survive the adversity there are facing, and which we are striving to alleviate.

“The incident is the most violent direct attack against innocent civilians this year. I call for the perpetrators of this heinous and senseless act to be brought to justice.”

While noting that such attacks could worsen the food crisis already being experienced in Borno, Kallon called on the government to ensure adequate protection of residents in the state.

“It is, unfortunately, one of too many such attacks targeting farmers, fishermen, and families who are trying to recover some livelihood opportunity after over a decade of conflict,” the UN coordinator said.

“I strongly condemn this attack and any act of violence against innocent civilians and I firmly urge all actors on the ground to respect international laws and humanity.

“Rural communities in Borno State are facing untold hardships. Helping them to farmland and rebuild livelihoods are amongst our priorities and the only way to avoid the looming food crisis in Borno State. They and all other civilians need to be protected and spared from any kind of violence.

“Innocent women, children, and men desperately need food and other support and assistance, particularly at a time when we are recording some of the highest levels of food insecurity in Borno State. We owe to do our utmost to help them survive these difficult times.”

Continue Reading

Most Popular