Connect with us

/">

BIG STORY

June 12: Sanwo-Olu To Host Tinubu, Soyinka, Blair, Others On Democracy Day Webinar

Published

on

To commemorate this year’s National Democracy Day celebration, the Lagos State Governor, Babajide Sanwo-Olu, his deputy, Dr Obafemi Hamzat will on June 12 hold a Democracy Day webinar for youths in Lagos.

The national leader of the All Progressives Congress (APC) Asiwaju Bola Tinubu and Nobel laureate, Prof. Wole Soyinka will be joining the Lagos State helmsman and his deputy at the event which will hold via Zoom at 12 pm.

The Special Adviser to the President on Political matters, Babafemi Ojudu; former Commissioner for Information and Strategy in the state, Chief Dele Alake; publisher of Ovation International magazine, Bashorun Dele Momodu, and daughter of Chief MKO Abiola, Dr Hafsat Abiola-Costello and Cherie Blair, wife of former UK Prime Minister will be among the personalities lined up to mentor the youths and explain how they contributed immensely to the democratic system the country enjoys today.

At the event themed: June 12: Learning from the Past, Shaping the Future, Tinubu, Sanwo-Olu, and others including Dr Joe Okei-Odumakin, Ms Yemi Adamolekun, and Mr Seun Onigbinde, will recount the events leading to the cancellation of the June 12, 1993 election, their efforts in the fight against the draconian military rule and what the country needs to do to ensure the contributions made by several Nigerians for the enthronement of democracy in the country, are not in vain.

They will also explain why June 12 was deservedly declared a public holiday by the Federal Government in honour of late Chief Moshood Abiola, who won the June 12, 1993 election that was annulled by the Ibrahim Babangida-led military government.

Governor Sanwo-Olu will explain to the youths how his administration has ensured that none of the citizens’ rights have been trampled upon in the last one year, the work done daily to ensure residents of Lagos get the dividends of democracy they agitated for while marching on the streets to demand for the return of civilian government over 20 years ago.

Sanwo-Olu and his deputy will at the event inform the youths how they had been preparing themselves for leadership before assuming office last year.

The participants at the virtual event will be given the opportunity to make their contributions and ask the speaker’s questions.

BIG STORY

Sexual Assault: Baba Ijesha Denied Bail, Case Transferred To High Court [PHOTOS]

Published

on

The Yaba Magistrates’ Court in Lagos State, on Wednesday, declined to grant the bail application brought before it by embattled Nollywood actor, Olanrewaju Omiyinka, popularly known as Baba Ijesha.

Baba Ijesha, who wore a blue t-shirt, was taken to court in a black maria vehicle of the Rapid Response Squad.

Baba Ijesha has been in police custody since April 22, 2021, when the Lagos State Police Command announced his arrest for allegedly sexually assaulting a 14-year-old girl in the care of popular comedienne, Adekola Adekanya, otherwise called Princess.

It was earlier reported that Lagos State Attorney-General, Moyosore Onigbanjo, SAN, said Baba Ijesha might be sentenced to life imprisonment if found guilty in court.

“After due consideration of the facts in the case file, the Directorate of Public Prosecutions issued legal advice on the 4th of May, 2021, which is to the effect that a prima facie case has been disclosed against Mr. Olanrewaju James and recommended he be charged under the following provisions of the Criminal Law of Lagos State, 2015,” he had said.

On May 17, 2021, Baba Ijesha was granted bail by magistrates and judicial workers on tour to decongest prisons in the state during the industrial action by the Judicial Staff Union of Nigeria.

However, Baba Ijesha could not meet the bail conditions which include N500,000 and a level 16 civil servant as surety.

Baba Ijesha consequently appeared before the magistrate in Yaba on Wednesday.

Speaking with reporters after the arraignment today, one of the counsels for the suspect, Kayode Olabinran, said he prayed the court to grant his client bail on health grounds.

He, however, said the magistrate declined to grant his client bail as the case was already filed at the High Court in Lagos by the Directorate of Public Prosecutions in the state.

He said, “He (Baba Ijesha) was not granted bail because the case has been filed at the High Court and that has denied the (Magistrate) Court the power to grant him bail.”

Olabinran also said the date for the hearing at the High Court was not yet known.

Also, Baba Ijesha’s colleague, Yomi Fabiyi, who was in court in solidarity with the actor, said “justice must not be dispensed with the personal sentiment”.

Continue Reading

BIG STORY

Days After Google Yanked Off His Crowwe App, Instagram Also Deletes Adamu Garba’s Account

Published

on

Former Presidential Aspirant, Adamu Garba’s Instagram account has been deleted.

This occurred shortly after Google deleted his Crowwe app from the Google Play Store.

Nigerians had taken to google play store to drop horrible reviews on the instant messaging app, which imitates Twitter.

They also reported that Crowwe’s Terms and Conditions were plagiarized word for word from another app, Spotify.

Google in a response to the reports, yanked the Crowwe app from the play store.

“Google removes from the Play Store, applications that are perceived to have violated its policy.

“Once your app is removed, the published version of your app won’t be available on Google Play until a compliant update is submitted,” the app store policy said.

However, we’ve noticed that Instagram had now deleted Mr Garba’s IG account from the popular image and video sharing app, with his page displaying ‘the user not found.’

The reason for deleting Mr Garba’s account was unclear but Instagram is known for banning accounts that violate its policy or reported for spam, fraud, or a fake account.

Also, he has received a public backlash regarding his Crowwe app accused of disingenuity.

Reacting, Mr Garba who spoke with newsmen on Wednesday morning said that Instagram took down his account because some users reported him.

“It was reported by some users and was disabled by Instagram,” he said.

Continue Reading

BIG STORY

I Have First-Hand Experience In War, I Can Tackle Nigeria’s Insecurity —- Buhari’s COAS Faruk Yahaya

Published

on

Faruk Yahaya, Nigeria’s chief of army staff, says he has the required experience to tackle insecurity in the country.

Yahaya stated this on Tuesday when he appeared for screening before the house of representatives joint committee on defence and army.

The army chief said he had participated in war and peacekeeping in Liberia, adding that with his experience, he can ensure improved security in the country.

“I have brought along with me 36 years of military experience, having joined the army on 27 September 1985, as a member of 32nd regular course in NDA,” he said.

“I passed out on 2nd September 1990, and I was posted to the infantry corps as an infantry officer, and since that time, I have passed through all the relevant courses commensurate to my career as I grew up, and I had served in various capacities, including command, staff, instruction, and administration, including extracurricular.

“Less than three years ago, we were drafted to Liberia where I had the first-hand experience in war if you would call it so. And finally, my unit was located at Kata town, member of number 16 and for those conversant with that deployment, Kata town was the last deployment of the ECOMOG who were the ones facing Charles Tylor NPFLA there.

“So, all activities including wars and operations, including of course negotiations, were conducted by my unit on behalf of ECOMOG.

“We have severally hosted the United Nations negotiations in Kakata. We have hosted other factional leaders, including Kromah, Johnson, and others in those negotiations. We also fought our way to that end.

“So, if you will, I have the first-hand experience, barely three years after my passing out in war and its processes, similar to what we are facing now.

“After that, when we came back to the country, I was also promoted to guards brigade here where I served as a platoon commander. So, I am also abreast with the security requirement of Abuja itself and the parade and other requirements that characterized that deployment.

“Subsequently, I grew up in my career to become a commanding officer in guards brigade garrison in Abuja here, and so I was involved in all the security requirements of securing Abuja and, particularly, the presidential villa.”

Yahaya said going by his military experience, he is well equipped to tackle the security challenges across the country.

“Looking at my career, I have virtually seen it all. I have seen war in other countries; I have seen how it was done. I was involved also in internal security operations both there and here,” he said.

“Here also, I have been to the north-west like I mentioned, south-south like I mentioned, and to the north-east. The challenges we are facing now are characterized by what I have mentioned. I have first-hand information where I have commanded troops and administered them in achieving what we have done.

“What I brought is the certificate of experience and commitment I have had all across my career. Throughout my career, I have been appointed as at when due. I am determined to provide my best, having known what is required to achieve the result.”

Continue Reading

Most Popular