Tottenham boss Jose Mourinho has launched a bid that could beat Chelsea to the signing of Victor Osimhen.
The Blues are on the hunt for a new striker to help Tammy Abraham shoulder the goalscoring burden at Stamford Bridge, with Osimhen identified as a potential summer target.
The Nigerian is under contract until 2024 but is wanted by a host of European clubs after 18 goals and six assists in 38 appearances across all competitions.
Chelsea had supposedly been leading the race for Osimhen, and earlier this month French outlet Telefoot claimed an unknown club had submitted an €85 million (£75 million) bid for the 21-year-old.
It has been suggested that this club was Chelsea, while Sky Sports have previously reported that two Premier League clubs and a La Liga side had all tabled bids for Osimhen.
It is widely believed that while Frank Lampard is searching for attacking reinforcements, Osimhen is not top of the Blues boss’ transfer wishlist.
The frontman has just one year of experience in Ligue 1, having arrived from Charleroi for just £10 million-plus a further £2.5 million in add-ons last summer.
The 23-year-old is under contract until 2023 and has 22 goals in 42 appearances this season, dramatically inflating his valuation.
Chelsea had previously identified Lyon frontman Moussa Dembele as their priority attacking target this summer, although the Frenchman will not come cheap.
#EndSARS: Super Eagles’ Players Scared To Visit Nigeria —– Ndidi
Leicester City’s Wilfred Ndidi has said that foreign-based footballers are scared of visiting Nigeria over the alleged killings by suspected operatives of the Special Anti-Robbery Squad (SARS).
Ndidi made this claim in a tweet on Saturday.
The Super Eagles midfielder lamented that many Nigerian youths are being killed by those expected to protect them.
Ndidi wrote: “End SARS for the safety of Nigerians. We are scared to visit home because the people who are meant to protect us are killing us.
“Looking good with dreads is not a crime.”
Other national team stars like Leon Balogun, Shehu Abdulahi, and John Ogu had joined the call for SARS to be disbanded.
UEFA Approves Fans For Bayern, Sevilla Super Cup Clash
Europe’s football governing body UEFA has confirmed fans will be allowed for next month’s Super Cup clash between Bayern Munich and Sevilla.
It however said only 30 percent of fans will watch the match live at Puskas Stadium in Budapest.
The stadium in the capital of Hungary holds 67,215 spectators at full capacity, which means that 20,164 people will be allowed to attend the clash.
The annual fixture pits the winners of the Champions League against the victors of the Europa League – which Sevilla won for a record sixth time earlier this month by defeating Inter in the showpiece.
This match will be the Andalusian club’s sixth Super Cup of which they have won just once – in 2006, when they defeated Barcelona 3-0 in the showpiece – but have lost on four occasions: 2007, 2014, 2015, and 2016.
Bayern Munich was crowned winners of the Champions League by defeating Paris Saint-Germain 1-0 in Sunday’s final.
BREAKING: Mikel Obi Returns To England, Joins Stoke City
Former Super Eagles skipper John Obi Mikel has joined Championship side Stoke City.
The club confirmed he is the fourth signing of the summer.
“The Nigerian international midfielder joins Morgan Fox, James Chester and Steven Fletcher in checking in at the bet365 Stadium ahead of the 2020/21 Championship season,” a statement by the club’s website stated.
Mikel, who won a host of domestic and European honours during a glittering 11-year stay at Chelsea, returns to English football after a spell in the Turkish Super Lig with Trabzonspor.
Manager Michael O’Neill told the club’s website: “We’re delighted to bring John to the Club. His playing career speaks for itself and underlines his caliber as a player.
“I was really impressed with him when we met for the first time and he outlined what he wants from the next phase of his career.
“We spent four hours talking and he made it clear he wants to get back into the Premier League and finish his career there and hopefully he can do that with Stoke City.”
Mikel made more than 370 appearances for Chelsea, helping them to land the Premier League title twice, as well as three FA Cups, the Champions League, and Europa League.
After a spell in China, he played for Middlesbrough after joining them on a short-term deal in January 2019, making 19 appearances. He won 91 caps before retiring from international football following last year’s African Cup of Nations.
Mikel described joining Stoke as “a new chapter”.
Don’t Allow External Forces Destroy Us, Allow Seed Of Peace Germinate —- Sanwo-Olu Begs Lagosians
U.S Exempts Nigeria From Trump’s New $15,000 Visa Bond Policy
Family Of Slain Newspaper Vendor Demands N500m From Gbajabiamila
Six Foreigners, Nigerian Jailed Seven Years For Oil Theft In Rivers [PHOTOS]
BREAKING: Court Orders Arrest Of Maina’s Son, Summons Surety
JUST IN: CCC Global Genesis Founder, Isreal Oladele Jailed For Defrauding UK-Based Woman
Eid Mawlid: FG Declares Thursday As Public Holiday
Corpses Litter Streets In Benin As Cult War Rages, Over 30 Reported Dead
#EndSARS: Sam Adeyemi, Mr Macaroni, Davido, Tuface, Burna Boy, Falz, Don Jazzy, 43 Others Dragged To Court [Full List]
BREAKING: Truck Driver, Motor Boy Die, 45 Vehicles Burnt In Lagos-Ibadan Expressway Inferno [PHOTOS & VIDEOS]
JoIn Us On Facebook
BIG STORY20 hours ago
#EndSARS: CNN Dares Nigerian Govt, Releases Second Report On Lekki Shootings [VIDEO]
BIG STORY2 days ago
BREAKING: Gunmen Kidnap Nigerian Minister’s Brother In Kano
BIG STORY1 day ago
Nigerian Travellers To Pay $15,000 Visa Bond As Trump Introduces New Policy
BIG STORY2 days ago
JUST IN: APC Drags Lagos-East PDP Senatorial Candidate Babatunde Gbadamosi To Court Over Perjury, Certificate Falsification
BIG STORY2 days ago
Fidelity Bank CEO, Nnamdi Okonkwo Emerges Banker of the Year
BIG STORY1 day ago
#EndSARS: UK Lawmakers Slam Buhari Regime; Demand Visa Ban, Freezing Of Assets, Other Sanctions On Nigerian Officials