Connect with us

/">

BIG STORY

COVID-19: Sanwo-Olu Reiterates Restriction Of Movement For 14 Days; Tells Residents Not To Panic, Assures Of Security

Avatar

Published

on

In line with President Muhammadu Buhari’s order on the restriction of movements in Lagos, Ogun, and Abuja in a national broadcast on Sunday, the Lagos state governor, Babajide Sanwo-Olu has reiterated restrictions of movement in the state in the next 14 days.

The governor, in a release on Monday, signed by the commissioner for information, strategy, and security, Mr. Gbenga Omotoso said as announced by the President the restriction is effective from 11pm, March 30th 2020 and will be on for 14 days.

He noted that only people rendering essential services, such as health workers, manufacturers, and distributors of health equipment and drugs, food and water companies are expected to go out.

“Also allowed to move are workers in telecommunications, petroleum distribution and retailing as well as power companies and the media, among others whose jobs cannot be handled at home”, he added.

While acknowledging that the restriction on movement is a tough decision, the Incident Commander, stated that it is a necessary step in the battle for life against the COVID-19 pandemic which has no known cure till date.

“We must co-operate with the authorities as long as this restriction lasts”, Sanwo-Olu said.

He maintained that the restriction will enhance chances of defeating Coronavirus by giving room for medical workers to deal faster with cases; contain the disease as those infected will be easily identified and isolated; enhance social-distancing while the restriction will prevent more people from contracting the disease.

The governor saluted Lagosians for their endurance since measures to fight the Coronavirus were announced by the government.

Acknowledging that no aspect of human life has been spared by the lethal disease, Sandwich-Olu said that the Lagos State Government, in partnership with the Federal Ministry of Health, the Nigeria Centre for Disease Control (NCDC), the World Health Organisation (WHO), UNICEF among other institutions, will stop at nothing to halt its spread.

“I would also like to address the fears of those who have expressed some security concerns about your places of work and shops during this restriction. I have directed the police and other security agents to ensure that there are no security breaches. They will ensure that criminals do not take advantage of this important measure,” Sanwo-Olu assured.

Sanwo-Olu advised the private sector, market leaders and traders to move out inflammable materials such as petrol, kerosene, and others, from their offices and shops before the restriction begins at 11pm, urging them to also switch off all electrical and electronic appliances to stave off fire incidents during the 14-day restriction.

He reaffirmed that the government will intensify its efforts at disinfecting public places, including parks and highways, maintaining that the exercise will extend to rural and riverine areas during the restriction period.

Speaking on the relief package introduced by the Lagos State Government, Sanwo-Olu said, “As I had earlier promised that the poor and vulnerable among us will not be left to their own devices. We have since started our welfare package for this class of people, those who live on daily earnings and the jobless. The hitches noticed in the distribution of the food package are being addressed so as to make the exercise healthier and more dignifying”.

Assuring residents that there is no need to panic, the COVID-19 Incident Commander averred that “even as the number of those infected is rising and our fear of community spreading is being confirmed by the cases that are being handled now, this is the time to be more focused on our responsibility in this battle. Let us continue to obey the simple rules prescribed by the experts”.

He outlined the precautionary measures including social distancing, remaining indoors, washing of hands with soap and water as many times as possible, covering mouths when sneezing or coughing and avoiding any unnecessary gathering.

The Governor thanked the private sector for their comradeship and praised the health workers who have been on the frontlines of the battle against an unseen enemy, describing them as worthy compatriots.

BIG STORY

World-Famous Society Writer, Lanre Alfred Feeds Over 3000 Indigent Nigerians As He Adds A Year [PHOTOS]

Avatar

Published

on

He is loved by many and respected among his ilk like he is fondly called, ‘African Prince’ by his friends simply because he is truly a prince of royal parentage and halts a princely heart.

Lanre Alfred as a celebrity journalist, author and businessman and publisher of The Capital; an online publishing platform, is former society editor and columnist at This Day Newspaper, author of five books and owner of Old English provision store with branches in Lagos

Lanre, on his birthday, generously doled out many good things to indigents people and this, he has been known for in past years.

This ace journalist, as many know he for, doesn’t give a hoot about giving to the underprivileged and he is remaining in that realm of generosity, philanthropy, charity, and human nature. And this is why many love him for his good gestures and kindness at all times.

Meanwhile, if not for COVID-19 pandemic in town, those who know Lanre as a man about town would readily tell that the man that writes about the intimate affairs of the rich, high and mighty of the society, would have painted the town red for his birthday because he has that pedigree and he calls all the shots when it comes to good partying.

Continue Reading

BIG STORY

Rape Epidemic: 12-Year-Old Girl Gang-Raped By Four Masked Men In Lagos

Avatar

Published

on

A 12-year-old girl, Blessing (not real name), is said to be experiencing trauma after she was allegedly gang-raped by four masked men at her residence in Abijo area of Ajah, Lagos State.

She was said to have been raped while playing alone in the compound around 2 pm on Thursday.

According to Saturday PUNCH, the victim, a secondary school pupil, was left bleeding from injuries she sustained in her private parts.

When our correspondent reached out to her mother on Friday morning, the victim was said to be asleep after receiving medical treatment.

The mother, identified simply as Anthonia, explained that she was not in the house when the perpetrators raped her daughter.

“I went to the office and was called (on the phone) and told that my daughter was raped in our house. I learnt she was having her online class when suddenly, there was a power outage. My husband rushed out to get fuel at a filling station so that she could participate in the class seamlessly,” the mother recalled amid futile attempts to control her emotions.

She stated, “Favour told us that while she was in the compound, four masked men jumped into the house through the fence. They took her inside and took turns to have sex with her, leaving her with multiple injuries.”

The distraught mother said incidentally in her office, she was listening to a radio programme about the recent wave of rape incidents in the country on the day her daughter was raped. Little did she know that her daughter would also become a victim.

“Immediately I received the call, I became so mad. I headed for the hospital where my daughter was rushed to. When I got there, I was told she suffered from ‘vaginal trauma’. The underneath of her clitoris was bruised and she had a deep tear that made her bleed severely,” Anthonia explained, painting a graphic picture of the cruel assault.

“She could have passed out if not that her dad got back home early. She lost a lot of blood. The bleeding stopped after the tear was stitched; although, she is still experiencing very severe pain,” the mother added.

Anthonia said the case had been reported at Ajiwe Police Station in Ajah.

She said, “I don’t think we are secure anymore because it seems like we are being monitored. They perpetuated their evil within the few minutes it took my husband to buy fuel.

“They could not enter through the gate because of ongoing construction at a building opposite ours. The site was crowded and that made them avoid entering through the front door. They scaled the fence. Some policemen followed us to the house and saw how the attackers scattered our things around.”

When our correspondent called Anthonia back on Friday evening, the victim was said to be suffering from trauma and could not speak on the incident.

The Police Public Relations Officer in the state, DSP Bala Elkana, said the command had been duly informed of the crime and investigations were ongoing.

He said, “The police have been duly informed of the atrocity and have commenced an investigation into the case. We are on the trail of the culprits. It’s a bit complicated because those guys wore face masks, which makes us suspect the culprits are people close to them. They probably covered their faces to conceal their identities.”

Continue Reading

BIG STORY

#JusticeForUwa: Students Protest In Benin, Demand Death Sentence For Sex Offenders

Gbemileke Ajayi

Published

on

Members of the National Association of Nigerian Students (NANS) on Thursday occupied major streets of Benin City, the Edo state capital in protest.

The students demanded justice for Uwaila Omozuwa, an undergraduate of the University of Benin who was recently raped and killed.

They also demanded that a death sentence be pronounced for sex offenders.

The President of the students’ union, Danielson Akpan, spoke with Channels Television during the protest demanding justice for their late colleague.

The lawmaker representing Ovia Federal Constituency, Dennis Idahosa, who also joined the students in the solidarity march vowed that he would move a motion to support capital punishment at the floor of the house.

Meanwhile, the new Commissioner of Police in Edo State, Johnson Kokumo had earlier on Wednesday promised that efforts would not be spared in ensuring that the culprits involved in the circumstances that led to Uwaila’s death are apprehended and made to face the law.

Kokumo made the promise when he paid a condolence visit to the family of the deceased.

Uwa, a 22-year-old student of UNIBEN was reported to have been raped inside a church where she went to read at the Ikpoba Hill area of Benin City, Edo State Capital.

The hoodlums were reported to have struck her in the head with a fire extinguisher after raping her and left her for dead. She was rushed to the University of Benin Teaching Hospital where she later died.

The news of her death has continued to spark outrage with trends on social media demanding justice and an end to rape.

(Channels TV)

Continue Reading



JoIn Us On Facebook


Live COVID-19 statistics for
World
Confirmed
6,986,967
Recovered
3,085,182
Deaths
407,552
Last updated: 1 minute ago






Most Popular

COVID-19 LIVE UPDATE

BE SAFE, STAY AT HOME