Connect with us

/">

BIG STORY

Coronavirus: We Are Tracing Over 1,300 Who Had Contact With Four New Cases —- Lagos Govt

Avatar

Published

on

The Lagos State Government has said that the index case of COVID19 in Nigeria who had been receiving care at the Lagos Mainland Infectious Disease Hospital, Yaba has tested negative to the virus.

The State Commissioner for Health, Prof. Akin Abayomi, who disclosed this on Thursday while giving updates on COVID19 in Lagos, said a confirmatory test would be carried out on him before he is released into the community.

Abayomi said: “I am happy to inform you that the index case has now cleared the virus.

“We will check him one more time and if he is negative, he would be discharged.

“Our second case as you would recall has been discharged, while others receiving care at our biosecurity unit in Yaba are doing well.”

Meanwhile, Abayomi revealed that the State has recorded four more new confirmed cases of COVID19, bringing the total number of confirmed cases in the State to 11, out of which nine are active cases, excluding the index case who has now tested negative and the second case who has been discharged.

According to him, the Ministry on Wednesday conducted 19 tests on suspected cases out of which four samples tested positive.

He added that the four cases were among the contacts of the confirmed cases that were announced on Wednesday and other suspected cases the Ministry is following up.

Abayomi explained further that one of the cases is a contact from the third confirmed case who came into the country on March 13, 2020, via the British Airways flight BA 75.

He added that the other case was that of a female Nigerian who flew in from France via Istanbul on Turkish Airline flight TK1830 on March 14, 2020.

There is also a man in his 50’s who never travelled out of the country, but presented with symptoms and tested positive.

The fourth being a Nigerian male who arrived Lagos on March 13, 2020, from Frankfurt on Lufthansa flight LH568.

The commissioner, however, said more tests are still being carried out, noting: “It is clear we have a combination of imported cases and local transmission.”

Abayomi stated that Lagos State Executive Council is meeting on the next line of action on social distancing, noting that the best way to slow the rate is to halt the movement of the virus from person to person.

He appealed to passengers on Turkish Airline flight TK1830 that arrived Lagos on March 14 and Lufthansa flight LH568 that arrived on March 13 to self-isolate themselves and reach out to officials of the State Government on the 08000CORONA toll-free line.

He added: “Currently, we are following over 1,300 people right now to find information about the state of their health and the number is increasing.”

Abayomi emphasized the need for citizens to practice the principle of “Social Distancing” by avoiding body contacts and public and social gatherings, stressing that it is through this that active human to human transmission of the virus can be prevented.

BIG STORY

BREAKING: Sanwo-Olu Lifts Curfew In Lagos

Avatar

Published

on

The Lagos State Governor, Babajide Sanwo-Olu, has lifted the curfew imposed on the state with immediate effect.

This was contained in a press statement by the Lagos Commissioner for Information and Strategy, Gbenga Omotoso, on Saturday.

The statement read, “The curfew imposed on Lagos State after the hijack of the peaceful #EndSARS protests has been lifted immediately. The 12 a.m. to 4 a.m. curfew imposed by the Federal Government to curb the spread of COVID-19 remains.

“Lagosians are free to go about their businesses without any hindrance whatsoever. Security agencies will continue to discharge their duties. Lagosians are urged to co-operate with them to maintain the status of our state as one of the most peaceful.

“Governor Babajide Sanwo-Olu thanks security agencies for their efforts in restoring peace to our troubled communities. He commends Lagosians for observing the curfew and ensuring the return of normalcy.

“The Governor urges the citizenry not to do or encourage any action that may turn back the clock, but to keep living in harmony as we get set to rebuild our dear State and strengthen the unity that we are known for.”

Details later…

Continue Reading

BIG STORY

JUST IN: US Special Forces Storm Nigeria, Rescue Kidnapped American, Kill 6 Bandits

Avatar

Published

on

An American citizen held hostage in northern Nigeria has been successfully rescued by the United States forces, CNN is reporting.

This was revealed in a statement by the Pentagon Spokesman, Jonathan Hoffman, on Saturday.

The hostage, Philip Walton, was abducted Monday night on the outskirts of Massalata, a village about 10 kilometers (six miles) from the border with Nigeria.

Part of the statement reads, “U.S. forces conducted a hostage rescue operation during the early hours of October 31 in Northern Nigeria to recover an American citizen held hostage by a group of armed men.

“This American citizen is safe and is now in the care of the U.S. Department of State. No U.S military personnel were injured during the operation.

“We appreciate the support of our international partners in conducting this operation. The United States will continue to protect our people and our interests anywhere in the world.”

The mission, which was several hours long, was conducted by the Navy’s elite SEAL Team 6 who were flown to the region by Air Force special operations, a US official with knowledge of the operation told CNN.

The US forces who conducted the mission killed six of the seven captors, the official said.

The US believes the captors have no known affiliation with any terror groups operating in the region and were more likely bandits seeking money.

The State Department confirmed earlier this week that a US citizen had been abducted in Niger.

Continue Reading

BIG STORY

SARS Detained Me For 22 Days, Took Me To A Shrine, I Lost Two-Month Pregnancy To Torture —- Schoolteacher Tells Lagos Panel

Avatar

Published

on

Hearing by the Lagos State Panel of Judicial Inquiry into complaints of human rights violations by men of the disbanded Special Anti-Robbery Squad continued on Saturday with a schoolteacher, Ndubuisi Obiechina, narrating to the panel how she was arrested in 2017 on a bogus allegation of being a thief and a kidnapper and tortured by SARS men till her then two-month-old pregnancy was aborted.

The schoolteacher, who appeared before the retired Justice Doris Okuwobi-led panel alongside her husband, told the panel that she was detained for 22 days and tortured till she lost her pregnancy.

She named the officers who tortured her as Phillip Rilwan, Christian, and Haruna Idowu.

She alleged that the policemen stole her husband’s N50,000 and compelled them to part with N400,000 as bail fee before they were freed.

Narrating their ordeal in the hands of the SARS men, she said, “On June 1, 2017, I received a text message from an unknown number that I had a parcel from DHL. A caller using different numbers asked for my home or office address and I gave him my school address upon my husband’s advice.

“The following day, I saw a black jeep with huge men inside it. One of them was in a DHL uniform. Immediately, they approached me, they started beating me. They said I should enter inside. They said I was a thief, an armed robber. The one in the DHL uniform removed it. My HM (headmistress) was peeping at us. I said let me go and tell her. They said no.

“I said my kid is there, they said no, that I should follow them, that my kid would die there.

“My HM came to the gate; they pointed a gun at me. She asked what was going on. They said, ‘This woman is a thief, a kidnapper. She must follow us and go. They said they were Police, SARS’.

“They pushed me inside the car and moved. The men were slapping, beating me. I was two months pregnant. I started vomiting. That’s when they found out I was pregnant. But they kept torturing me. I told them I did not know the suspect.

“They took me to their office at Ikeja. They took me to a shrine. They hanged me, beat me. They said they would force my baby out of me. They said I must produce the person or die there.”

Continue Reading




JoIn Us On Facebook


Live COVID-19 statistics for
World
Confirmed
45,576,990
Recovered
30,569,006
Deaths
1,188,787
Last updated: 3 minutes ago






Most Popular

COVID-19 LIVE UPDATE

BE SAFE, STAY AT HOME