Connect with us

/">

BIG STORY

Drama In Court: My Cleric Husband Sleeps With Married Women —Wife; My Wife Now Lives With Husband Of Woman I Slept With — Cleric

Gbemileke Ajayi

Published

on

I caught my cleric husband red-handed making love with a married woman,” a 44-year-old tailor, Rebecca Adeniyi, told an Igando Customary Court in Lagos on Wednesday.

The petitioner said that her husband, Yusuf, with whom she had four children in their 15-year marriage, built a mosque and started sleeping with his female members, both single and married.

Rebecca said: “I caught him having sexual intercourse with one of our members’ wives.

“I grabbed the woman and tore her clothes.

“I raised an alarm.

“He started begging me not to expose the woman because her husband may divorce her.

“Members stopped coming to our mosque because of his atrocities and he is now accusing me of chasing members away.

“My husband’s behaviour toward me changed after the incident.

“He no longer gave me money nor care for me.”

The mother of four also said her husband was fetish, adding that he married her with charm.

Rebecca said: “I was under the influence of charm throughout my marriage with Yusuf, but the wool was later lifted off my eyes five years ago.

“I decided to remain in the marriage because of my children.”

According to her, Yusuf has never attended any of my family functions, adding: “Even when my father died, he did not go for the burial.”

As a result of all these allegations, Rebecca said she was fed up with the marriage and prayed the court to terminate it.

The 47-year-old cleric accepted the allegation of having sexual intercourse with his mosque member but blamed it on the devil.

Yusuf said: “Yes, I made love with my member, but it was the devil that pushed me.

“I begged my wife to forgive me and that it would never repeat itself, but she refused and raised alarm.”

The respondent denied being fetish and marrying his wife with charm, but turned around to accuse her of being diabolical.

He said: “It is my wife that is fetish.

“She frequently visited herbalists and came home with different substances.”

Yusuf said his wife was having affairs with the husband of the woman he had sex with.

“My wife is now living with the husband of the woman I had sexual intercourse with,” he said.

He made a fervent plea to the court not to dissolve the marriage, saying he still loves his wife.

After listening to the submission of the couple, the Court President, Adeniyi Koledoye, adjourned the case until March 20 for judgment.

Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

BIG STORY

Lekki Shooting: Soldiers Used Blank Ammunition – Ex-Army spokesman, Sanni Usman

Avatar

Published

on

Former Director Army Public Relations, Brigadier General Sani Usman on Thursday claimed that Military personnel who shot protesters at Lekki toll gate used ‘blank ammunition.

Usman in an interview with Arise News said the blank ammunition used to disperse protesters has little or no effect on its target.

Recall that the Army had earlier denied that its officers were present at the scene of the shooting.

But on Wednesday, the 81 Division of the Nigerian Army (NA) revealed that the Lagos State Government invited the military to intervene during the End SARS protests.

Speaking on Thursday Usman said, “If you look at the canisters, they were blank ammo and blank ammo don’t even kill. At a close range, maybe 100metres – maybe it will have some pigmentation on your skin.

“Remember the military are armed and by the nature of their training, they are trained to kill and I think the military in its wisdom instead of using live ammunition decided to use blank armour which is meant for training.

“I think they should be commended for that otherwise there would have been serious collateral damage, but they were professional enough to have done that.”

Continue Reading

BIG STORY

Why We Are Opposed To Okonjo-Iweala’s Selection As WTO Director-General —– U.S

Avatar

Published

on

The United States government has explained why it is opposed to the selection of former Nigerian finance minister, Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala, as the director-general of the World Trade Organisation (WTO).

The U.S. made its position known late Wednesday in a statement by the Office of the US trade representative on the WTO director-general selection process.

The United States said it supported the selection of Korean Trade Minister Yoo Myung-hee as the next WTO Director-General because she is “a bona fide trade expert who has distinguished herself during a 25-year career as a successful trade negotiator and trade policymaker.”

The statement said the minister has all the skills necessary to be an effective leader of the organization.

“This is a very difficult time for the WTO and international trade,” the statement said.

“There have been no multilateral tariff negotiations in 25 years, the dispute settlement system has gotten out of control, and too few members fulfill basic transparency obligations.

Although the U.S. did not mention Mrs. Okonjo-Iweala, it however said that “The WTO is badly in need of major reform. It must be led by someone with real, hands-on experience in the field.”

Recall that we had earlier reported Wednesday that although she won the overwhelming support of the World Trade Organisation’s 164 members, Mrs Okonjo-Iweala’s ambition suffered a setback as the United States failed to endorse her for the top job.

The former Nigerian minister had moved a step closer to becoming the first woman and the first African to be a director of the global trade watchdog as she secured the support of a key group of trade ambassadors in Geneva.

But the U.S. raised last-minute objections to the process by which the new director-general was being picked.

A spokesperson for the WTO on Wednesday said Mrs Okonjo-Iweala’s candidacy would be put to a meeting of the body’s governing general council on November 9.

 

Continue Reading

BIG STORY

Sanwo-Olu Awards Scholarship To Children Of Policemen Who Died In Lagos Violence

Avatar

Published

on

Police officers lynched in the wake of the violence instigated by the nationwide youth demonstration against police brutality will not die in vain, Lagos State Governor, Mr. Babajide Sanwo-Olu, pledged.

The State Government, on Wednesday, directed Lagos State Scholarship Board to award scholarship to the children of the slain officers up to the university level.

The State Police Command bore huge loss in personnel, armoury, and properties in the violence.

Twenty-nine Divisional Police Stations and 17 Police Posts were razed by hoodlums disguising as protesters. Also, six police officers were lynched, 36 critically injured, while 71 police operational vehicles were torched.

In spite of the loss, the police said they remained undeterred in performing their constitutional duties.

Sanwo-Olu, on Wednesday, made the offer to take the bill of replacing the logistics lost by the police when he visited the Command Headquarters in Ikeja to boost the morale of officers, following the demoralizing events of the past week in which police officers and their stations were targeted by hoodlums.

The Governor got the assurance of the police’s commitment to strengthen security across the State from the Commissioner of Police, Mr. Hakeem Odumosu.

Sanwo-Olu said the statutory duties of the Police could not be wished away because of the actions of a few bad eggs, noting that the impact of the police officers’ absence on the roads was generally felt by residents.

He said the State must put the event of the past week behind it and move on to restore peace across the communities. To achieve this, police officers, he said, must regain their confidence.

He said: “Commissioner of Police has come forward with a number of requests, which we will need to address to boost the morale of officers after the last week’s event. As your Governor, I have come here to take full responsibility for the loss you have suffered in terms of logistics. From tomorrow (Thursday), we will start implementing these requests.

“Through the Lagos State Security Trust Fund (LSSTF), we will be replacing the police operational vehicles burnt in the violence. We have a bigger plan for all the police stations burnt down. We will look for the funds and build befitting stations that will set the standard of what police stations should be.

“The most important request is to offer scholarships to the children of officers that died. I have directed the Lagos State Scholarship Board under the Special Adviser on Education to immediately award a scholarship to the children of the slain officers.”

Sanwo-Olu said the State Government would also be compensating family members of the officers killed in the violence and take care of the burial arrangement of the slain officers, adding that the State would also be picking up the hospital bills of those injured in the mayhem.

Police officers serving in Lagos are also to get life insurance from the State Government, Sanwo-Olu promised. The Governor directed the Executive Secretary of LSSTF, Dr. Rasaq Balogun, to establish the modality with the police leadership in the State.

The Governor also approved the request to upgrade Police Cottage Hospital in Ikeja, directing the Commissioner for Health to inspect the facility for the required upgrade.

In addition to donating two 150KVa generating set to the police, Sanwo-Olu said the Command Headquarters would be connected to the State’s Independent Power Project (IPP) for constant power supply.

He said: “The reform that you truly desire is starting today. The reform which the youths had clamoured for through the EndSARS protest is taking off and we will continue to engage the police on how to improve on what we have started. We will take up this cause with the objective to effect desired change and we will approach the high authorities for the requests that are not in our control.

“I will be leaving you with the thought that you all have the responsibility to secure lives and properties. Your uniform is not for oppression; it is a symbol of dignity and discipline. You must protect the fundamental rights of all citizens without compromising the ethics of your duty. It is only when you do this that the citizens would see that we have a Police that is truly responsible.”

Sanwo-Olu said the State would be championing the cause to improve the citizen-police relationships to prevent re-occurrence of the issues that led to the EndSARS protest.

Odumosu said the manner with which the slain officers were murdered brought down morale in the Command. He said the police officers remained committed to their statutory responsibilities, thanking the Governor for approving their requests

The gesture, the police boss said, would restore confidence in the State’s police workforce.

Deputy Inspector General (DIG) of Police in charge of Research and Planning, Leye Oyebade, said the Police took away valuable lessons from the EndSARS protest, noting that there was no better time to fully implement the community policing than now.

He said the protest had ended and it was time for the police to win back citizens’ confidence and trust.

He said: “As police officers, we must now go back to the drawing board and cultivate the goodwill of the communities in which we operate. I’m particularly charging divisional police headquarters to devise strategies tailored toward your local realities and employ digital tools.”

Top police officers, who attended the meeting with the Governor, included the Assistant Inspector General (AIG) in charge of Zone II, Ahmed Ilyasu, all Deputy Commissioners of Police, and all the 14 Area Commanders across the State.

Also, all the 110 officers in charge of all Divisional Police Stations and heads of the 56 Police Departments across the State.

Continue Reading




JoIn Us On Facebook


Live COVID-19 statistics for
World
Confirmed
44,474,616
Recovered
30,045,812
Deaths
1,173,928
Last updated: 3 minutes ago






Most Popular

COVID-19 LIVE UPDATE

BE SAFE, STAY AT HOME