Connect with us

BIG STORY

Angry Youths Sets Businessman’s House Ablaze In Imo Over Alleged Killing Of His Kinsman In South Africa

Peter Okunoren

Published

on

A mob in Umuoru Etiti village, Ubulu Community in Oru West Local Government Area of Imo State, on Wednesday, burnt down the home of a South Africa-based businessman, Declan Nsofor, for allegedly killing his ‘brother’.

This followed an online video that showed Mr Nsofor killing his kinsman, Odenigbo Ife (aka Ideh) in South Africa, during a fight.

Mr Nsofor, in the video, which went viral on Tuesday, was seen fighting Mr Ife “and refusing to listen to pleas by people around to stop fighting”.

At a point, he was seen picking up a large stone and hitting Mr Ife. The ‘victim’ fell to the ground and reportedly died instantly.

They were said to be fighting over a business deal gone bad.

According to unconfirmed social media accounts, Mr Odenigbo stood surety for Mr Nsofor over a business deal.

But, after several months, Mr Nsofor was said to have foot-dragged in paying the debt, a development that led to the fight.

The video incensed the youth from Amorie Ubulu who mobilized and set the house of the suspect on fire, a community source said.

Apart from setting the house of the suspect ablaze, the irate youth destroyed all his property.

A police spokesman in the state, Orlando Ikeokwu, confirmed the incident.

He said that the police had begun the manhunt for those who set the house ablaze.

“Information revealed that two brothers, one Nsofor Nwazugbo, of Etiti Ubulu and one Ideh Odenigbo of Amorie Ubulu, residents in South Africa had a conflict of interest in the early hour of today which resulted in a fight and led to the death of Ideh Odenigbo in South Africa.

“Information got to the village youths whereby the angry youths of the deceased person set the house of the suspect and properties worth millions of naira ablaze.

“We mobilized to the scene, took photographs of the burnt building. No arrest had been made yet but the serious effort is in progress to arresting the perpetrators for possible prosecution,” Mr Ikeokwu said.

BIG STORY

BREAKING: Explosion Rocks Ondo, Hundreds Of Buildings Destroyed [PHOTOS]

Avatar

Published

on

Over 100 hundred buildings were in the early hours of Saturday destroyed following an explosion that rocked Ondo State.

The explosion happened in the early hours of Saturday at Eleyowo, Akure, along Owo-Akure highway around 1 a.m.

According to residents of the area, a terrifying loud bang was heard when everyone was already asleep.

Also affected in the explosion was a full boarding school, Aina Awawul Secondary School, one of the most popular churches in Akure, Possibility Ground Ministry, as well as a filling station and hundreds of buildings.

The highway was cut off with hundreds of travelers stranded.

Police officers and other security agencies are already on ground to assess the situation.

Details later…

Continue Reading

BIG STORY

COVID-19: Anxiety In kebbi Over Governor Bagudu’s Status

Gbemileke Ajayi

Published

on

There is tension among top government officials in Kebbi state over the health status of Governor Atiku Bagudu after he came in contact with the Chief of Staff to the President, Abba Kyari who had been tested positive to the virus.

Governor Bagudu held a series of meetings at the Presidential Villa last week where he was alleged to have come in contact with the Chief of Staff.

It was also observed that the governor had allegedly gone into self-isolation in his private home in Birnin kebbi, a day after it was confirmed that COS Abba Khari was tested positive to Covid-19.

Governor Bagudu since his return from Abuja a few days ago held an emergency meeting with various stakeholders in the state including the Emir of Gwandu, Emir of Argungu, Speaker of the State House of Assembly, SSG, Commissioners, special advisers, permanent secretaries, directors, and chairmen of local governments in the state, to chart the best course of action for the financial future of the state, and also ways to curtail the spread of the coronavirus, that was the last public appearance of the Governor.

Meanwhile, he has since directed that civil servants in the state stay at home for two weeks except for the conventional workers.

This development, our correspondent gathered has generated a lot of anxiety in the state, especially among top government functionaries and other critical stakeholders who have come in contact with the governor.

When our correspondent contacted the Special Adviser on Media to the Governor, Mallam.Yahaya Sirki to Know whether the governors is on self-isolation to prevent further spreading? he stated: that “the governor is not on self-isolation.

The directive to stay at home does not involve the media and the security and those on essential services. What actually happened in Govt House yesterday is just to reduce the number of people entering the government house including the media and security they were asked to go home until when needed. But even at this point, some journalist and security are still retained in Govt House. I repeat my Governor is not on self-isolation” he added.

Continue Reading

BIG STORY

BREAKING: British Prime Minister Boris Johnson Tests Positive For COVID-19

Avatar

Published

on

The United Kingdom Prime Minister, Boris Johnson, has confirmed testing positive for coronavirus.

Boris made this known via his twitter account, Friday afternoon.

He wrote:
“Over the last 24 hours I have developed mild symptoms and tested positive for coronavirus. I am now self-isolating, but I will continue to lead the government’s response via video-conference as we fight this virus. Together we will beat this”

Continue Reading

Most Popular