Connect with us

BIG STORY

YABATECH In Trouble As Reps Threaten School Over Five-Year Unaudited Accounts, Issues 30-Day Ultimatum

Avatar

Published

on

The House of Representatives has given the Yaba College of Technology Lagos 30 days to prepare its accounts and present a report to the Office of the Auditor General of the Federation, with proof of compliance sent to the House Committee on Public Accounts.

The committee added that if YABATECH failed to comply with the directive, the National Assembly would have no option but to withhold the budgetary allocation to the institution for 2020.

Management of the institution, led by its Rector, Mr Obafemi Omokungbe, had appeared before the committee in Abuja on Friday during an investigative hearing on the refusal by non-treasury-funded and partially-funded agencies to render their audited accounts between 2014 and 2018 to the Auditor-General of the Federation.

Omokungbe had told the committee that he assumed office in 2018 and that the accounts were not ready, as the external auditor engaged by YABATECH had yet to complete work on the accounts.

The committee, however, disagreed with Omokungbe’s submission and resolved to place the institution on status enquiry and probe into its financial records.

It stated that the submission was unacceptable and was against the financial regulations guiding the civil service.

The Chairman of the committee, Mr Oluwole Oke, insisted that if the college failed to obey the directives, the National Assembly would withhold budgetary allocation to the institution for 2020 to serve as a deterrent to defaulting MDAs of the Federal Government.

Oke said, “It is not going to be business as usual. Let me sound a note of warning to those heads of MDAs hiding under the pretext of being new in office or absence of governing boards to approve their audited accounts as a deliberate cover-up for not remitting their audited accounts to the Auditor General of the Federation as and when due.

“We, as a committee, will fish out those involved and publish their names and their MDAs in the national dailies. We are compiling their names; there will be no hiding place for them. This is not a threat; we are going to carry it out to the letter.”

The matter was later stepped down to allow for the status enquiry as ordered.

BIG STORY

BREAKING: Explosion Rocks Ondo, Hundreds Of Buildings Destroyed [PHOTOS]

Avatar

Published

on

Over 100 hundred buildings were in the early hours of Saturday destroyed following an explosion that rocked Ondo State.

The explosion happened in the early hours of Saturday at Eleyowo, Akure, along Owo-Akure highway around 1 a.m.

According to residents of the area, a terrifying loud bang was heard when everyone was already asleep.

Also affected in the explosion was a full boarding school, Aina Awawul Secondary School, one of the most popular churches in Akure, Possibility Ground Ministry, as well as a filling station and hundreds of buildings.

The highway was cut off with hundreds of travelers stranded.

Police officers and other security agencies are already on ground to assess the situation.

Details later…

Continue Reading

BIG STORY

COVID-19: Anxiety In kebbi Over Governor Bagudu’s Status

Gbemileke Ajayi

Published

on

There is tension among top government officials in Kebbi state over the health status of Governor Atiku Bagudu after he came in contact with the Chief of Staff to the President, Abba Kyari who had been tested positive to the virus.

Governor Bagudu held a series of meetings at the Presidential Villa last week where he was alleged to have come in contact with the Chief of Staff.

It was also observed that the governor had allegedly gone into self-isolation in his private home in Birnin kebbi, a day after it was confirmed that COS Abba Khari was tested positive to Covid-19.

Governor Bagudu since his return from Abuja a few days ago held an emergency meeting with various stakeholders in the state including the Emir of Gwandu, Emir of Argungu, Speaker of the State House of Assembly, SSG, Commissioners, special advisers, permanent secretaries, directors, and chairmen of local governments in the state, to chart the best course of action for the financial future of the state, and also ways to curtail the spread of the coronavirus, that was the last public appearance of the Governor.

Meanwhile, he has since directed that civil servants in the state stay at home for two weeks except for the conventional workers.

This development, our correspondent gathered has generated a lot of anxiety in the state, especially among top government functionaries and other critical stakeholders who have come in contact with the governor.

When our correspondent contacted the Special Adviser on Media to the Governor, Mallam.Yahaya Sirki to Know whether the governors is on self-isolation to prevent further spreading? he stated: that “the governor is not on self-isolation.

The directive to stay at home does not involve the media and the security and those on essential services. What actually happened in Govt House yesterday is just to reduce the number of people entering the government house including the media and security they were asked to go home until when needed. But even at this point, some journalist and security are still retained in Govt House. I repeat my Governor is not on self-isolation” he added.

Continue Reading

BIG STORY

BREAKING: British Prime Minister Boris Johnson Tests Positive For COVID-19

Avatar

Published

on

The United Kingdom Prime Minister, Boris Johnson, has confirmed testing positive for coronavirus.

Boris made this known via his twitter account, Friday afternoon.

He wrote:
“Over the last 24 hours I have developed mild symptoms and tested positive for coronavirus. I am now self-isolating, but I will continue to lead the government’s response via video-conference as we fight this virus. Together we will beat this”

Continue Reading

Most Popular