Connect with us

BIG STORY

REVEALED: How University Of Ibadan’s External Auditor Went Blind, Died While Auditing School’s Account In 2008 Yet Got Paid Till 2020

Avatar

Published

on

The Bursar of the University of Ibadan, Michael Alatise, on Thursday told the House of Representatives Committee on Public Accounts chaired by Rep. Oluwole Oke, that the University could not submit its audited accounts to the Auditor-General of the Federation over the years as the external Auditor working on the Institution’s accounts went blind and died while preparing the audited accounts leaving the job uncompleted.

This was just as the lawmakers discovered that the said blind external Auditor was still being paid retainership by the University as recent as last year.

The panel upon hearing this expressed shock, saying that the Bursar was taking the House, and by extension, the country for a ride, just as it ordered a full investigation into the University’s activities.

The committee members were initially bemused but later frowned at the excuse saying that they assumed the University was dealing with a firm and not an individual.

According to the lawmakers, the principal partner of the Audit firm was struck with blindness should not truncate the process as there were other staff in the organization.

The Chairman of the Committee, Hon Oke, who looked worried by the revaluation said, “that somebody went blind does not mean that the firm will go into extinction. It can’t. And sincerely speaking, it is not palatable that from 2014 to date, the University of Ibadan does not have an account with the Auditor-General. No! You won’t get money in the next budgetary allocation.

Another member of the committee noted that “If for any reason you renew, it is one-year renewal. This university cannot be talking about 2014 of issues that have been there since 2009. The man’s tenure had expired in 2008 and if for any reason you had to renew for him, it also expired in 2009.

“So, if the man went blind in 2008 and then, you renewed for him in 2009, and then the firm had issues and you still renewed for him in 2010, and till 2020 you are still renewing for a man who was blind in 2008. I think we should not be taken for a joke.”

But Alatise said the auditor’s tenure expired in 2010, “so we had a new auditor. It was the new external auditor that was having problems; he had to go to his (old auditor) house several times because there were some static figures that needed to be cleared.

“The document came to the audit committee of council several times, so it delayed the work of the current auditor.”

The following conversation ensued between the Chairman of the Committee and the Bursar:

Oke: “The new auditor, I hope he has not gone blind?”

Bursar: “Actually, they are on their last account, which is 2015. We are about to engage another audit firm next week, 13th of this month, the auditor “actually completed the 2009/2010 account. But then, the newly engaged auditor had problems with the account. They wanted to interact with him, that was where the lacuna came in.”

Chairman: “You have an audited account signed and ratified in place, why did you need a blind man to take over from there? Besides, you are not dealing with him as a person, you are dealing with a firm. So, he has a partner, he has workers.

“And for UI to engage such a firm, okay, let it conduct a KYC, (Know Your Customer). Let us know who the firm is. Let us investigate the firm. Let us know the partners and workers in that firm.”

Alatise said: “Candidly speaking, we are on a hot seat. I wish that the bursary team would watch this video live. As a bursar, I have been worried about accounts.”

Consequently, the Committee stepped the inquiry down and opted for a full investigation of the finances of the university.

Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

BIG STORY

Dusk-To-Dawn Curfew Begins On Sunday In Lagos —- Sanwo-Olu

Avatar

Published

on

Lagos State Governor, Mr Babajide Sanwo-Olu has directed a dusk-to-dawn curfew in Lagos starting from Sunday to allow the state to carry out comprehensive disinfection of the metropolis.

He also said the state would close the domestic airport.

He said, “I am hereby directing a statewide curfew from 8pm to 6am, starting from Sunday until further notice. This is to enable us to carry out comprehensive disinfection of the Lagos Metropolis.

“I am pleased to note that we have taken possession of over 200 disinfecting machines, and starting today, we will be disinfecting all major highways, bus stops, markets, parks, and other public areas.

“With effect from Sunday, we will be closing the domestic airport in Lagos, the General Aviation Terminal and the MM2. All movements in and out of Lagos through the two domestic terminals will, therefore, be suspended from Sunday for two weeks in the first instance. The only exceptions will be flights carrying essential supplies and those on emergency operations.”

He further said traveling in and out of Lagos would be restricted on Sunday, adding that all inter-state motor parks should shut down for two weeks.

The governor also signed into law the Emergency Coronavirus Pandemic Bill 2020 passed by the House of Assembly.

The law empowers the governor to punish violators of the shutdown order policy.

Continue Reading

BIG STORY

BREAKING: Explosion Rocks Ondo, Hundreds Of Buildings Destroyed [PHOTOS]

Avatar

Published

on

Over 100 hundred buildings were in the early hours of Saturday destroyed following an explosion that rocked Ondo State.

The explosion happened in the early hours of Saturday at Eleyowo, Akure, along Owo-Akure highway around 1 a.m.

According to residents of the area, a terrifying loud bang was heard when everyone was already asleep.

Also affected in the explosion was a full boarding school, Aina Awawul Secondary School, one of the most popular churches in Akure, Possibility Ground Ministry, as well as a filling station and hundreds of buildings.

The highway was cut off with hundreds of travelers stranded.

Police officers and other security agencies are already on ground to assess the situation.

Details later…

Continue Reading

BIG STORY

COVID-19: Anxiety In kebbi Over Governor Bagudu’s Status

Gbemileke Ajayi

Published

on

There is tension among top government officials in Kebbi state over the health status of Governor Atiku Bagudu after he came in contact with the Chief of Staff to the President, Abba Kyari who had been tested positive to the virus.

Governor Bagudu held a series of meetings at the Presidential Villa last week where he was alleged to have come in contact with the Chief of Staff.

It was also observed that the governor had allegedly gone into self-isolation in his private home in Birnin kebbi, a day after it was confirmed that COS Abba Khari was tested positive to Covid-19.

Governor Bagudu since his return from Abuja a few days ago held an emergency meeting with various stakeholders in the state including the Emir of Gwandu, Emir of Argungu, Speaker of the State House of Assembly, SSG, Commissioners, special advisers, permanent secretaries, directors, and chairmen of local governments in the state, to chart the best course of action for the financial future of the state, and also ways to curtail the spread of the coronavirus, that was the last public appearance of the Governor.

Meanwhile, he has since directed that civil servants in the state stay at home for two weeks except for the conventional workers.

This development, our correspondent gathered has generated a lot of anxiety in the state, especially among top government functionaries and other critical stakeholders who have come in contact with the governor.

When our correspondent contacted the Special Adviser on Media to the Governor, Mallam.Yahaya Sirki to Know whether the governors is on self-isolation to prevent further spreading? he stated: that “the governor is not on self-isolation.

The directive to stay at home does not involve the media and the security and those on essential services. What actually happened in Govt House yesterday is just to reduce the number of people entering the government house including the media and security they were asked to go home until when needed. But even at this point, some journalist and security are still retained in Govt House. I repeat my Governor is not on self-isolation” he added.

Continue Reading

Most Popular