Connect with us

BIG STORY

Amotekun Recruitment Forms Ready Next Week — Akeredolu

Peter Okunoren

Published

on

The Ondo State Governor, Mr Rotimi Akeredolu, has said the recruitment forms for the Operation Amotekun outfit will be ready next week.

The governor, who spoke through his Special Adviser on Security Matter, Alhaji Jimoh Dojumo, said the recruitment on the operation process had begun.

He said, “We are yet to issue out forms and if there is any form that is out now in Ondo State, it is illegal, we have drafted the forms but we have not issued them out.

“The forms would be out next week. What we want to do is to first recruit. after the recruitment, we will issue out the forms.

“All the traditional rulers and community leaders in the state would be made to sign as guarantors of whoever we want to recruit in their communities.”

Meanwhile, the Convener of Re-elect Buhari Movement in the 2019 presidential election, Mr Emmanuel Umohinyang, has advised the government of the six South-West states to work closely with the police to ensure that the officials of Operation Amotekun were not used against opponents during elections.

Umohinyang, in an interview on Thursday, proposed that the operational arm of the South-West security outfit should rest with the police, while the administrative arm should be with the state government for the smooth operation of Amotekun.

He also advised operatives of Operation Amotekun not to wear uniform so that they could successfully carry out the role of information gathering.

The RBM convener said, “Let the commissioner of police take care of the operations arm in terms of deployment and supervising them. I do not also see the need to put them in uniforms if they are to be an intelligence-gathering unit.

“They are to live with the people and share information with the police. If you put them in uniforms, they will be easily identified.”

BIG STORY

UPDATE: El-Rufai Tests Positive For Coronavirus

Avatar

Published

on

The Kaduna State Governor, Mallam Nasir El-Rufai, announced on Saturday that he tested positive for coronavirus.

El-Rufai, who disclosed this in a video on Twitter, said he had embarked on self-isolation as required by the case management guidelines of the Nigeria Centre for Disease Control for anyone not showing symptoms.

He appealed to the people of the state to continue to closely observe the preventive measures already announced.

He is the first case of COVID-19 recorded in Kaduna.

He said, “Earlier this week, I submitted a sample for the Covid-19 test. The result came in this evening, and I regret to say that it is positive.

“According to the protocols for managing Covid-19, I am in self-isolation as required by the case management guidelines of the NCDC for someone that is no showing symptoms.

“I wish to appeal to the people of Kaduna State to continue to closely observe the preventive measures already announced.

“It is most important that everybody should do their utmost to stay safe, stay home and stay alive.

“The Deputy Governor is chairing our Covid-19 Taskforce and will continue to issue statements from time to time.”

Continue Reading

BIG STORY

Dusk-To-Dawn Curfew Begins On Sunday In Lagos —- Sanwo-Olu

Avatar

Published

on

Lagos State Governor, Mr Babajide Sanwo-Olu has directed a dusk-to-dawn curfew in Lagos starting from Sunday to allow the state to carry out comprehensive disinfection of the metropolis.

He also said the state would close the domestic airport.

He said, “I am hereby directing a statewide curfew from 8pm to 6am, starting from Sunday until further notice. This is to enable us to carry out comprehensive disinfection of the Lagos Metropolis.

“I am pleased to note that we have taken possession of over 200 disinfecting machines, and starting today, we will be disinfecting all major highways, bus stops, markets, parks, and other public areas.

“With effect from Sunday, we will be closing the domestic airport in Lagos, the General Aviation Terminal and the MM2. All movements in and out of Lagos through the two domestic terminals will, therefore, be suspended from Sunday for two weeks in the first instance. The only exceptions will be flights carrying essential supplies and those on emergency operations.”

He further said traveling in and out of Lagos would be restricted on Sunday, adding that all inter-state motor parks should shut down for two weeks.

The governor also signed into law the Emergency Coronavirus Pandemic Bill 2020 passed by the House of Assembly.

The law empowers the governor to punish violators of the shutdown order policy.

Continue Reading

BIG STORY

BREAKING: Explosion Rocks Ondo, Hundreds Of Buildings Destroyed [PHOTOS]

Avatar

Published

on

Over 100 hundred buildings were in the early hours of Saturday destroyed following an explosion that rocked Ondo State.

The explosion happened in the early hours of Saturday at Eleyowo, Akure, along Owo-Akure highway around 1 a.m.

According to residents of the area, a terrifying loud bang was heard when everyone was already asleep.

Also affected in the explosion was a full boarding school, Aina Awawul Secondary School, one of the most popular churches in Akure, Possibility Ground Ministry, as well as a filling station and hundreds of buildings.

The highway was cut off with hundreds of travelers stranded.

Police officers and other security agencies are already on ground to assess the situation.

Details later…

Continue Reading

Most Popular