Connect with us

BIG STORY

BREAKING: Appeal Court Nullifies Dino Melaye’s Election, Orders Fresh Polls

Avatar

Published

on

The Appeal Court on Friday nullified the election of Kogi West Senator, Dino Melaye.

Melaye, who made the disclosure said the court ordered a fresh election.

He made the disclosure via his Twitter handle, on Friday.

Melaye expressed hope in winning the re-election ordered by the court and asked his supporters to be law-abiding, noting that he and his supporters will “always overcome”.

“I just lost my election at the Appeal Court, and fresh election ordered. In all things,I give God the praise. He who started the good thing will definitely complete it. I ask my supporters to be law-abiding as we shall always overcome. To God be the Glory,” he tweeted.

The Kogi State National Assembly Election Tribunal had nullified Melaye’s election.

Melaye, who was a candidate of the opposition People’s Democratic Party, PDP, was declared the winner of the February election by the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC).

However, Smart Adeyemi of the All Progressives Congress, APC, had challenged Melaye’s victory in court.

Adeyemi challenged Melaye’s victory on three grounds of irregularities, overvoting and non-compliance with the electoral acts.

BIG STORY

Coronavirus: Boris Johnson Writes Britons, Warns ‘Things Will Get Worse’

Peter Okunoren

Published

on

Prime Minister Boris Johnson has urged Britons to stay home and outlined stricter measures yet to come in the fight against the coronavirus.

“It’s important for me to level with you – we know things will get worse before they get better,” Mr Johnson wrote in a letter issued by Downing Street.

The missive is to be delivered to 30 million households this week.

“We are making the right preparations, and the more we all follow the rules, the fewer lives will be lost and the sooner life can return to normal,” Mr Johnson asserted.

“At this moment of national emergency, I urge you, please, to stay at home, protect the NHS (National Health Service) and save lives,” he added.

Stay-at-home and strict social distancing rules must be obeyed, warned Mr Johnson, who has himself contracted COVID-19.

“These rules must be observed. So, if people break the rules, the police will issue fines and disperse gatherings,” he added.

The number of deaths from the coronavirus in Britain has risen to more than 1,000 with over 17,000 infections.

Britain delayed imposing social-distancing measures on its population to stem the spread of coronavirus until last week.

On Friday, both Mr Johnson and Health Secretary Matt Hancock announced they had tested positive for the virus.

Prince Charles, the heir to the British throne, also has the virus.

Mr Johnson, 55, has said he has mild symptoms including temperature and a persistent cough.

He is self-isolating and working from home.

Continue Reading

BIG STORY

BREAKING: Panic As UI College Of Medicine Provost, Deputy Test Positive For Coronavirus

Avatar

Published

on

The provost and deputy provost of the University of Ibadan, UI, College of Medicine, Professors Ezekiel Olapade-Olaopa and Obafunke Denloye, have tested positive to the dreaded coronavirus.

Olapade-Olaopa, who made this known in a Whatsapp group message Sunday morning said “Dear colleagues, I wish to inform you that the deputy provost and I tested positive for the COVID-19 following the tests done on Friday. Although we are both asymptomatic, we have gone into self-isolation for the 14 days while our contacts are being observed closely to determine if they should also be tested.”

It is, however, unsure whether the duo are new cases or parts of the four cases confirmed by Nigeria Centre for Disease Control, NCDC, last night.

Last night, the NCDC announced that the total number of confirmed coronavirus cases in the state is now seven.

Before Saturday night’s announcement, the number of confirmed cases in the state was only three.

A breakdown of the case in the country according to the NCDC shows that Oyo State now has the third-highest number of confirmed cases in the country behind only Lagos and FCT.

Continue Reading

BIG STORY

BREAKING: Nigeria Immigration Boss Muhammed Babandede Tests Positive For Coronavirus

Avatar

Published

on

The Comptroller-General of Immigration, Muhammed Babandede, has tested positive for coronavirus, PUNCH Newspaper reports.

The CG, who disclosed this in a WhatsApp message to our correspondent this morning, explained that he is already on self-isolation since he returned from the United Kingdom on March 22.

The PUNCH later called him on phone and Babandede confirmed the development.

He stated, “Today, I tested positive for COVID-19. I have been on self-isolation since my return from UK on Sunday 22nd of this month with British Airways in Lagos.

“I urge my loved ones, Immigration Officers and Nigerians to pray for me and all those affected.”

Babandede urged immigration officers to continue working with his deputy to move the service forward.

He added, “It is a very difficult time but we can’t change what God destined for us.

“I urge officers to continue working with my able Deputy to further move our Service to another level. As advised by NCDC, I am totally isolated.”

This is happening barely 12 hours after the Kaduna State Governor, Nasir El-Rufai, tested positive for COVID-19.

Continue Reading

Most Popular