Connect with us

BIG STORY

UNILAG Lecturer Dr Boniface Igbeneghu Exposed As BBC Premieres #SexForGrades Documentary [VIDEO]

Peter Okunoren

Published

on

BBC Africa Eye’s on Monday released a documentary targeted at lecturers in some West African universities harassing their students for sex in exchange for grades/marks.

After gathering dozens of testimonies, BBC Africa Eye sent undercover journalists posing as students inside the University of Lagos and the University of Ghana.

It was disclosed that female reporters were sexually harassed, propositioned and put under pressure by senior lecturers at the institutions – all the while wearing secret cameras in a 13-minutes video documentary released.

A UNILAG senior lecturer, Faculty of Arts, who doubles as the head pastor of a Foursquare Gospel Church in Lagos, Dr. Boniface Igbeneghu, was exposed as one of the culprits.

The undercover journalist posed as a 17-year-old student who wanted an admission at the University of Lagos.

The “student” endured a couple of sexual harassment from Dr. Igbeneghu.

Igbeneghu, who invited the teenager to his office for a number of tutorials, subsequently began to have inappropriate conversations with her.

On their first meeting, he commented on her appearance.

In the 13-minutes secret filming, the lecturer revealed how his colleagues tossed and passed around UNILAG female students for sex.

He disclosed further how his colleagues patronized UNILAG Staff club ‘Cold room’ to commit a series of atrocities on female students.

“Do you know that you are a very beautiful girl,” he asked her.

“Do you know that I am a pastor and I’m in my fifties. What will shock you is that even at my age now, if I want a girl of your age – a 17-year-old, all I need is to sweet tongue her and put some money in her hand and I’ll get her,” Igbeneghu said to her on camera.

Despite repeated requests, the lecturer failed to react to the BBC’s allegations.

Also, the authorities of UNILAG dissociated itself from the lecturer’s actions.

It revealed to the BBC that the institution had a zero-tolerance policy on sexual harassment.

Furthermore, it refused to comment on the alleged ‘cold room.’

Meanwhile, another lecturer from the College of Education in Ghana, Dr. Paul Kwame was also indicted in the video documentary.

In a Twitter post by its official handle, @BBCAfricaEye, it said; “for the past year, BBC Africa Eye has been secretly investigating sexual harassment by lecturers at West Africa’s most prestigious universities.

According to the BBC Africa Eye Reporter, @kikimordi who conducted the investigations, she revealed that the investigation was carried out due to the clamour to expose these bad lecturers.

She said: “Hundreds of you asked us to do this investigation. We heard your call #SexForGrades”

Kiki Mordi, who was once a victim of sexual harassment, revealed what happens behind closed doors at some of the region’s most prestigious universities in the video documentary.

Over the years, there have been issues of female students being harassed for sex in return for marks in Nigerian Universities.

The sex-for-mark practice is a common problem in Nigerian institutions, which over the years may have been encouraged by Nigerian universities due to their failure to appropriately sanction erring lecturers.

It should be recalled that last year, an embattled former lecturer of Obafemi Awolowo University (OAU) Prof. Richard Iyiola Akindele was reportedly sentenced to two years in prison for sexually molesting female students.

Here is the video link extract – https://www.bbc.com/news/av/world-africa-49907376/sex-for-grades-undercover-in-west-african-universities

BIG STORY

BREAKING: Kaduna Assembly Speaker Resigns

Gbemileke Ajayi

Published

on

Speaker of Kaduna Assembly, Hon. Aminu Abdullahi Shagali, has resigned from his position.

Sources from the Assembly said Shagali tendered his resignation before the commencement of Plenary session on Tuesday morning

Details shortly…

Continue Reading

BIG STORY

JUST IN: Court Finds Olisa Metuh, Firm Guilty Of First Count In N400m Fraud Trial

Peter Okunoren

Published

on

The Federal High Court in Abuja, on Tuesday, convicted a former National Publicity Secretary of the Peoples Democratic Party, Olisah Metuh, and his firm, Destra Investments Limited, of the first of the seven counts instituted against them by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission.

Ruling on the first count in his judgement, Justice Okon Abang ruled that a former National Security Adviser, Sambo Dasuki, unlawfully transferred the sum of N400 million to the defendants in November 2014.

The judge ruled that Metuh and his firm reasonably ought to have known that the sum of N400 million paid to them formed part of the proceeds of the unlawful activity of the ex-NSA because they had no form of a contractual relationship with the ONSA.

According to the judge, Dasuki transferred the money to the defendants “in breach of public trust”.

He dismissed the contention of the defence who argued that the defendants could not be convicted for the money laundering offence because Dasuki, who is currently being prosecuted, had yet to be convicted for the predicate offence of breach of trust and corruption.

The judge said, contrary to the argument, “the predicate offence and the money laundering offence are intertwined”.

“The success or failure of the predicate offence does not determine the success or failures of the money laundering offence,” the judge added.

Continue Reading

BIG STORY

Lagos Government To Demolish Buildings In Banana Island, Parkview, Ikoyi

Avatar

Published

on

Worried by the persistent violation of building permit laws in Lagos State, the Government has disclosed that it would not hesitate to pull down structures in Banana Island, Ikoyi, Parkview and other highbrow areas.

The announcement came as the State Building Control Agency (LASBCA) intensify enforcement with the sealing of buildings to prevent collapse buildings cases in the state.

Commissioner for Physical Planning and Urban Development, Dr. Idris Salako, disclosed the Government plan in a statement posted on his official twitter handle, lamenting that several buildings within these highbrow areas were erected without permits.

According to him, it is highly regrettable that most of the buildings within these highbrow areas are either without planning permits or built beyond approved units. And this was discovered during our week-long massive enforcement on Planning permit in Ikoyi, Parkview, Banana Island, and environs.

“It was also observed that many commenced construction without recourse to LASBCA as stipulated in the Lagos State Urban and Regional Planning Law. In view of this flagrant disregard for the extant planning laws of the state.

“The Lagos Government henceforth will not hesitate to apply the full wrath of the law against such violators and to ensure compliance with the planning laws and regulations in the State”.

Continue Reading

Most Popular