Connect with us

BIG STORY

BREAKING: Atiku Finally Drags Buhari To Supreme Court, Appeals Presidential Election Tribunal Judgement

Avatar

Published

on

Atiku Abubakar, the presidential candidate of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) in the 2019 general elections and his party, have formally filed their appeal against the judgement of the presidential election petitions tribunal, at the Supreme Court.

They are challenging the judgment of the presidential election tribunal, which affirmed the election of President Muhammadu Buhari.

Atiku and PDP filed the appeal on five grounds.

They alleged that the panel of the presidential election tribunal erred in law “when they relied on ‘overall interest of justice’, to hold that the 2nd Respondent’s Exhibits R1 to R26, P85, and P86 were properly admitted in evidence.”

They also alleged among other reasons that the tribunal erred in law “when they held thus: “My firm view is that Section 76 of the Electoral Act is clearly inapplicable to the issues under consideration. The form referred to are the form to be used in the conduct of the election as FORM CF001 had been taken care of in Section 31 of the Electoral Act and the said FORM CF001 is tied to the steps laid down in the said Section 31 of the Electoral Act.

“More importantly, the law is firmly settled that a candidate is not required by the Constitution or the Electoral Act to attach his certificates to FORM CF001 before the candidate can be considered or adjudged to have the requisite educational qualifications to contest the election.”

Atiku and PDP also alleged that the tribunal erred in law when they held thus: “There was/is no pleadings in the Petition to the effect that 2nd Respondent’s failure to attach his certificates to Form CF001 amounts to lack of educational qualification to contest the election.

“In other words, the issue of failure to attach certificates which have been flogged throughout the length and breadth of the Petitioners Address (es) in Reply to 1st, 2nd and 3rd Respondents final written address is not the case of the Petitioner in the pleadings. No issue was joined on nonproduction of certificates or failure to attach them as an infraction of sections 131, 137 and 138 of the Constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria, 1999 as amended.

“All submissions about the failure to produce certificates or attach the same to CF001 is hereby discountenanced. Even if it can be said that the submissions made are in tandem with the Petitioners Pleadings on issues 1 and 2 the fact remains that none of the facts pleaded were proved or established as required by law.”

They are therefore asking the Supreme Court to set aside the judgment of the tribunal and grant the prayers sought by them.

BIG STORY

Day-1 Of Restriction: Sanwo-Olu Thanks Lagosians For Observing The ‘Stay-At-Home’ Order, Promises More Relief Package

Avatar

Published

on

Lagos State Governor, Mr Babajide Olusola Sanwo-Olu, has sent a message of appreciation to worthy Lagosians for obeying President Buhari’s stay-at-home directive in order to fight the deadly coronavirus.

Read below the official statement from Governor Sanwo-Olu:

I would like to note the high level of our people’s compliance with this presidential directive. It has shown that we realize the enormity of the challenge that we are facing and the choice that we have made – fighting to stave off a massive attack of COVID-19 and staying alive to reclaim our life that has been disrupted by this unseen enemy.

The restriction, I would like to remind us, is to contain the community spreading of this disease by enlisting everybody in the fight and ensuring that many more do not contract it.

It is on this note that I would like to warn those who may wish to breach the restriction that their action is against the Public Health interest of all Lagosians.

On the medical front, I have been informed that all our COVID 19 patients are stable. Five of them were discharged on Monday and – by the grace of The Almighty- more will soon be out of the hospital. Our medical staff – exceptional men and women all – are doing their all to ensure that the patients do well, regain their health and return home to their families. We will be doing a lot to encourage them and lighten their burden by staying indoors.

Only those rendering essential services, who must be well identified; are allowed to go out when necessary.

Our Welfare Package remains on course. As I have often said, those at the bottom of the economic ladder, the underprivileged and the most vulnerable among us will not be left to fend for themselves at this difficult time, Our Relief Package, which is to reach about 200,000 households in the first instance, has continued. Parts of the following local governments are being covered: Amuwo Odofin, Epe, Ikeja, Badagry, Ibeju – Lekki, Agege, Oshodi-Isolo, Apapa, and Lagos Mainland. Others will soon be reached.

May I seize this opportunity to thank those worthy Lagosians, who have demonstrated the true spirit of “A Greater Lagos” by coming forward to help at this time.

I salute our law enforcement agents who have been working tirelessly to ensure that the presidential directive is enforced. I enjoin them to continue in that spirit. They should be firm but courteous in discharging their responsibilities.

Again, I have no doubt that if we continue to fight in unity, COVID-19 will be defeated and we will come out victorious as we always do.

Babajide Olusola Sanwo-Olu

Governor of Lagos State

Continue Reading

BIG STORY

BREAKING: COVID-19: FG To Reach 11 Million Nigerians With Palliatives

Avatar

Published

on

The federal government has said it will be reaching more than 11 million Nigerians with palliatives to cushion the harsh effects of the measures set to fight back the outbreak of the Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19) Pandemic.

Also, the government has said it will continue to increase the capacity to test for cases of the Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19) on a weekly basis.

The Minister of Humanitarian Affairs, Disaster Management and Social Development, Hajiya Sadiya Umar Farouk, while reacting to questions on Tuesday at the daily media briefing by the Presidential Task Force on COVID-19 in Abuja, also disclosed that internally displaced persons (IDPs) in the Northeast part of the country already received two months rations of relief materials.

She said the government already had a social-register with details of those considered as the vulnerable in society in 35 states of the federation, adding that these people belong to around 2.6 million households across the country.

Also speaking, the Director-General of the Nigeria Center for Disease Control (NCDC), Dr Chike Ihekweazu, said Nigeria would continue to develop the capacity to test for COVID-19, said while it now has the capacity to test up to 1,000 this week, it hopes to be able to test as many as 1,500 next week.

Details Shortly…

Continue Reading

BIG STORY

Stay-At-Home: Lagos Wives Rejoice As Husbands Kick, Says They’re Now Redundant

Gbemileke Ajayi

Published

on

There are mixed reactions from husbands and wives over the Lagos State government’s stay-at-home directive following the COVID-19 pandemic.

News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) reports that Lagos State government last week directed the closure of open markets, recreational centers, saloons and public places with exception of those selling food, medicine, and other essentials.

The directives are aimed at checking coronavirus spread.

Speaking with NAN on the effects of the stay-at-home, some wives said it had strengthened bonding between them and their spouses.

But most husbands decried the development as house arrest.

They claimed it rendered them redundant.

A resident of Okokomaiko, Nkiru Ekene, told NAN the order had positive and negative effects.

According to her, she was happy the order compelled her husband to spend time with her and their children, thereby strengthening the bond between the couple and family.

“The situation has afforded us an opportunity to monitor the kids, my caregivers and certain attitudes they exhibit in my absence.

“However, it has also weakened financial strength, since many husbands earn their incomes through daily sales,’’ she said.

Kosisochukwu Ndubuisi, who lives in the same area, said the order had kept her husband at home.

“Yes, I will say that I am happy that my husband is always in the house.

“Before now, most men spend much time at drinking bars after work, instead of returning home to their families, but now, the situation has changed.’’

Continue Reading

Most Popular