Connect with us

BIG STORY

Onyeama Blasts South Africa’s Foreign Minister Over Satanic Comments On Nigerians

Avatar

Published

on

Nigerian Foreign Affairs Minister Geoffrey Onyeama has criticized his South African counterpart, Naledi Pandor’s comments that many Nigerians in South Africa indulge in criminal acts.

“It is precisely this kind of outrageous stigmatization of a people from senior government officials that fuels xenophobia and embolden criminals,” Onyeama tweeted on Friday.

Pandor had in an interview with South African television station eNCA, on Thursday, said many Nigerians resident in South Africa are “drug dealers”, adding that many others are also involved in “human trafficking and many other cases of abuse of our practices.”

Nigerian House of Representatives Speaker Femi Gbajabiamila has also rejected the claims, stating that South Africa was trying to “change the true narrative” of the xenophobic attacks in South Africa as a conflict between “gangs fighting for turf.”

“Unless it is the position of the South African Government that all Nigerians living in South Africa are gangsters and criminals, we demand that they reject these claims without equivocation,” Gbajabiamila said in a press conference on Friday.

Many Nigerians work in South Africa, but they are sometimes stereotyped as criminals in the country with some of the highest rates of domestic violence and five times the average global femicide rate.

Pandor’s remark came during the worsening diplomatic relations between the two African countries. Nigerians in South Africa have suffered xenophobic attacks in recent months. But Nigeria said it was not looking to cut ties with South Africa.

However, the bigger anti-foreigner violence broke out on Monday and over 10 persons have been killed and 400 arrests made. Police in the country have yet to pinpoint what triggered the violence.

Pandor had earlier described the anti-migrants violence sentiments as Afrophobia – fear or dislike of Africans, but the South Africa’s police minister Bheki Cele said that attacks were acts of “criminality” and not xenophobic.

South Africa President Cyril Ramaphosa shared a different sentiment. He acknowledged that there were anti-foreigner sentiments in the country.

Attacks on foreign-owned shops have become regular occurrences that many have attributed to frustration with the country’s high unemployment rate, which sits at about 28 percent.

Nigerians launched what appeared to be reprisals against South African affiliated businesses in several cities across the country. Police said dozens were arrested for looting and some were arraigned on Thursday.

The Nigerian government has repeatedly condemned the reprisals, which it insisted could only hurt Nigerians working in the affected firms.

The Nigerian foreign ministry said Air Peace, a commercial airline, had offered to send an aircraft to evacuate nationals who were willing to return, “free of charge”. (The Guardian)

BIG STORY

BREAKING: Buhari Fails To Renew Fowler’s Tenure, Names Muhammad Nami As New FIRS Boss

Avatar

Published

on

President Muhammadu Buhari has appointed Muhammad Nami to replace Babatunde Fowler as chairman of the Federal Inland Revenue Service (FIRS).

Fowler’s tenure expired on Monday.

More to follow…

Continue Reading

BIG STORY

Orji Kalu Will Receive Full Salaries, Allowances In Prison — Senate

Peter Okunoren

Published

on

The convicted Chief Whip of the Senate, Orji Kalu, will continue to receive his salaries and all other entitlements while in prison, the Senate has said.

This is despite that he will not be performing any legislative function from prison.

The spokesperson of the Senate, Godiya Akwashiki, disclosed this to PREMIUM TIMES on Sunday.

He said despite the conviction, Mr Kalu remains a sitting senator and will be paid all of his entitlements in full.

He said until the case gets to Supreme Court and a final judgement is given, Mr Kalu remains a serving lawmaker.

“He is still a senator. This is the first court. The matter is going to Supreme Court so, he still has the opportunity to appeal up to the Supreme Court level.

“Of course they will pay him. Because he is a sitting senator just like I said…if you file for an appeal, you are still serving and so they will pay you.

“All his entitlements will be paid. There is no cause for alarm. In fact, even if the Court of Appeal says they have upheld the judgement of the lower court, he still has the right to go to Supreme Court. So once the Supreme Court says, yes, the judgement is okay, then that’s the final,” he explained.

Earlier, Mr Akwashiki said Mr Kalu’s seat will not be declared vacant.

He explained that no provision in the constitution that says the seat of any senator facing prosecution or convicted at a lower court should be declared vacant.

Mr Kalu’s seat will not be declared vacant except he (Mr Kalu) has explored all the legal options available to him without success, he said.

“Even the tenure of a former governor Joshua Dariye, who has been in prison for some time now, ran its course until the end of the 8th National Assembly. Nobody declared his seat vacant.”

The Federal High Court in Lagos on Thursday sentenced Mr Kalu to 12 years in prison after convicting him of N7.65 billion fraud.

Mr Kalu, a former governor of Abia State, was pronounced guilty of the charge in a trial that lasted for 12 years.

The conviction comes 12 years after the ex-governor was first arrested by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) in 2007 and was tried alongside his company, Slok Nigeria Limited, and Udeh Udeogu, who was Director of Finance and Accounts at the Abia State Government House during Mr Kalu’s tenure as governor.

Continue Reading

BIG STORY

BREAKING: Assassins Attacks MD Of Maersk Line, Wife Forced To Drink Acid

Avatar

Published

on

Palpable tension has enveloped Maersk, one of the biggest organizations in the Nigerian maritime industry.

According to reports, the Managing Director of Maersk Line, Gildas Tohouo Tohouo, and his family were said to have been attacked at their Lugard Road, Ikoyi home last night.

The attacked happened while he, his three children and his wife were at home.

While reports are saying that the man himself was severely stabbed and battling for his life, the wife is said to have given up the ghost as she was forced to drink acid by their assailants.

Several angles are being linked to the unfortunate incident. While some are saying the attack must have been as a result of a generator contract gone wrong between Maersk and some other unnamed companies, some are saying the attack was as a result of domestic electrician that was sacked.

Those in the know are claiming that Maersk as an organization is not new to attacks as such that results in the loss of lives. A source who craved anonymity claims that the company once sent two Dutch auditors to look into its books and both men were shot dead by assassins in a full office.

The attack on the managing director and his family is being suspected to be an insider job by some other people because the security around where he lives is premium and he lives close to former interim head of state, Chief Ernest Shonekan, whose place also enjoys excellent security because of his status as a former head of state.

Continue Reading

Most Popular