Connect with us

BIG STORY

Nigeria To Extradite 80 Citizens Accused Of Fraud In USA —— FG

Avatar

Published

on

The Chairman, Nigerians in Diaspora Commission (NIDCOM), Abike Dabiri-Erewa, on Friday declared that the Nigerian Government will extradite about eighty Nigerians who have been accused of perpetrating fraud in some parts of United States of America (USA).

Dabiri-Erewa made this declaration in a statement she personally signed, a copy of which was made available to newsmen.

It was reported that the USA authorities, had yesterday released about 80 names of some Nigerians, accused of perpetrating fraud in the country.

But, Dabiri-Erewa while reacting, urged the accused persons to voluntarily turn themselves into the USA authorities in order to clear their names.

Dabiri-Erewa in the statement, however, maintained that failure to do so, the Nigerian government would find means to extradite those accused if relevant international treaties between the two countries are invoked.

Dabiri-Erewa in the statement entitled, “re: arrest of alleged Nigerian fraudsters in various parts of the United’ States OF America”, said that the commission would continue to monitor the case closely.

She said, “The Nigerians in Diaspora Commission is deeply concerned about the news of the court indictment of 80 persons, mainly Nigerians, in various parts of the US, being accused in separate FBI cases of massive email fraud and money laundering.

“Prior to the court indictment of these eighty persons, of which Valentine Iro and Chukwudi Christogunis Igbokwe are lead suspects, Obinwanne Okeke had earlier been arrested in Virginia.

“We acknowledge the fact that accusation does not mean guilt, and we hope that all the accused will be given a fair and speedy trial. We also ask those accused in Nigeria to voluntarily turn themselves in, to American authorities to clear their names, without which the Nigerian government should extradite them if relevant international treaties between the two governments are invoked.

“While such actions ultimately have a negative effect on the image of the country, the Commission, however, reiterates as it has always done, that the actions of a few Nigerians involved in criminal activities is not and can never be what the majority of Nigerians represent. We advise and we continuously resist any stereotyping of Nigeria and Nigerians generally.

“The Commission will continue to monitor the case closely.”

Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

BIG STORY

BREAKING: Court Sentence Olisa Metuh To 7 Years Imprisonment, Ordered To Pay N375m To FG

Avatar

Published

on

The Federal High Court in Abuja on Tuesday sentenced a former National Publicity Secretary of the Peoples Democratic Party, Olisa Metuh, to seven years imprisonment on corruption charges regarding his activities preceding the 2015 presidential election which his party lost.

Justice Okon Abang delivering judgment at the proceedings which lasted over six hours convicted Metuh on all the seven counts, including the fraudulent receipt of N400m from the Office of the National Security Adviser in November 2014 and use of the money for political activities of the PDP and for his personal purposes.

The court also convicted Metuh for transacting with a cash sum of $2m without going through a financial institution.

The judge agreed with the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission successfully proved that the transaction violated the anti-money laundering law which pegs the maximum cash transaction an individual undertakes outside a financial institution at N5m.

He imposed sentenced Metuh to seven years imprisonment for counts 1, 2, 4 and 7, five years imprisonment in respect of count 3, and three years in respect of counts 5 and 6.

He, however, ruled that the sentences shall run concurrently which implied that he would only spend the highest number of years of jail term, which is seven, in prison.

The judge also directed Metuh to pay a fine of N375m to the Federal Government.

He also ordered Destra Investments to pay N25m to the Federal Government.

He ordered the accounts of Destra in Diamond Bank and Asset Resource Management to be closed and their proceeds forfeited to the Federal Government.

The judge also ordered the winding up of Destra.

Continue Reading

BIG STORY

You Are Selfish, You Want To Be Vice-President In 2023 — Arewa Youths Blast Kaduna Gov Over South Presidency Comment

Avatar

Published

on

The Arewa Youth Consultative Forum, AYCF, President-General, Yerima Shettima on Tuesday insisted that Nasir El-Rufai, Governor of Kaduna State was working towards becoming the Vice President in 2023.

Shettima, who spoke exclusively with DAILY POST, made the remark while condemning the governor for saying the Southern part of Nigeria should be allowed to produce the country’s next president.

El-Rufai had said the North had no justification to hold onto power at the end of President Muhammadu Buhari’s second tenure in 2023.

The governor had stressed that the South should be allowed to produce the country’s next president in the interest of justice, equity and fairness.

However, Shettima stressed that the governor was only pursuing his selfish interest.

He maintained that El-Eufai’s comment was not in the interest of the North.

According to Shettima: “El-Rufai is just a governor and a mere politician who is ever ready to bargain for what he feels will represent his individual and personal interest.

“He is probably saying this because he wants them to consider him for Vice President and only God knows the side of the South he was referring to as he did not specify. But he may be saying this because he wants to be considered as a running mate to whoever will contest.”

The AYCF President General stressed that El-Rufai’s statement was not a reflection of the North.

He cautioned Nigerians against absorbing declarations of politicians without proper scrutiny.

Shettima added: “For us Northerners, he remains a governor, his decision does not in any way reflect the interest of the North even in Kaduna he won’t get one-third. His statement holds no water and it represents his personal interest.

“You know due to his character of desperation, he is ever ready to bargain and that is why if a politician comes out to make any statement look at it thoroughly you will realize that it’s his personal interest.”

He expressed the belief that the governor was going about justling for the position of the Vice President because he’s not popular in the North, even in Kaduna.

“He is probably going around behind the scenes now negotiating to be Vice President of the country considering the fact that he may not be the popular candidate from the North. If the North is to produce candidates for the presidency, El-Rufai is not among the first 10 we are considering.

He has probably realized that his chances are slim and narrow so he is ever ready to negotiate and make it looks like he is more accepted in one part of the country so he is willing to go around side by side whoever emerges from the South.

“I can see his body language that whoever he thinks it’s going to work with is completely doomed so whoever he thinks will consider him to be Vice President is just wasting time and whatever he says does not represent the interest of Northerners and it can never be.

“What do you expect from a sinking boat who has lost the goodwill of his people can’t go for the third term as governor, as a result, he is desperate to remain in political office, hence he is ever willing and ready to bargain against the collective interest of his people because he’s desperate to hold the political office of the vice president and unfortunately for him he is not that popular so whoever considers him as Vice President should know his picking a product that is not sellable in the North. El-Rufai is a sinking ship that can only fall anywhere just to survive.”

Continue Reading

BIG STORY

REVEALED: Why Kaduna Speaker Resigned

Avatar

Published

on

Reasons why Kaduna Speaker, Hon. Aminu Abdullahi Shagali resigned his position have started emerging.

The ex-Speaker, who represents Sabon-Gari Constituency in the Assembly, officially submitted his resignation letter to the clerk of the House Tuesday morning.

According to the Nation Newspaper, members of the House had started collecting signatures to impeach him before he eventually bowed to pressure and resigned.

Chairman, House Committee on information, Tanimu Musa, confirmed he submitted his resignation letter on Tuesday.

However, Shagali’s offense warranting the alleged plan impeachment was yet to be unraveled as the time of filing this report.

The 40-year-old Shagali became Speaker on the coming of the ruling All Progressives Congress (APC) to power in 2015.

He was re-elected to preside over the House in 2019 on the strong recommendation of Governor Nasir Ahmed El-Rufa’i.

Details shortly…

Continue Reading

Most Popular