Connect with us

BIG STORY

Death Is Inevitable, Don’t Make Moneybag My Successor —- Awujale Tells Ijebu Indigenes

Peter Okunoren

Published

on

The Awujale and Paramount ruler of Ijebuland Ogun State on Tuesday told his subjects to “go for a capable successor” whenever he joins his ancestors.

He spoke when he received thousands of sons and daughters of Ijebu extraction in Ijebu – Ode at the 2019 Ojude Oba cultural festival/carnival.

The Octogenarian ascended the throne in 1960 at the age of 25 and hailed from the Anikinaiya Ruling family.

There are indications that the ruling House to produce the next Awujale when the stool becomes vacant is the Fusengbuwa Ruling House where the founder of the First City Monument Bank (FCMB), Otunba Subomi Balogun, is the Olori Ebi (Head).

Oba Adetona, the Ogbagba 11 and who is often referred to as Orisa Ijebu(god of Ijebu), urged his people to sustain the tempo by ensuring that the stool does not go to moneybags.

The revered monarch urged Ijebu sons and daughters to reject any candidate for the position of the Awujale that could set Ijebuland backward.

In attendance at this year edition of the Ojude Oba cultural festival where over 25,000 participated in the carnival, were Alaafin of Oyo Oba Lamidi Olayiwola Adeyemi; Governor Dapo Abiodun and his wife Bamidele; Deputy Governor Noimot Oyedele – Salako; former Governors Segun Osoba, Gbenga Daniel; former Deputy Governor Segun Adesegun, Sir Kensington Adebutuc(who was the Special guest of honour), Chief Ayo Adebanjo, Olori Kemi Adetona among others.

The Awujale, who spoke in Yoruba language, advised that the process of selecting the next Awujale should not be politicized.

He stated that if the next ruling house does not present a viable candidate, the people should reject them and go for the next ruling house with a capable candidate.

Oba Adetona said: “When I eventually go, please go for a capable successor. Reject any candidate that will put Ijebuland into retrogression.

“Do not politicize the process of selecting my successor. Do not go for people that will draw Ijebu backward.

“If the next ruling house does not present a viable candidate, please reject them and go for the next ruling house with a capable candidate.

“Do not go for moneybags that will destroy the achievements Ijebuland has recorded so far.

“My prayer is that Ijebuland will continue to grow from strength to strength.

“Call on God for direction when picking my successor. Ask God to guide you.”

Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

BIG STORY

BREAKING: Buhari Fails To Renew Fowler’s Tenure, Names Muhammad Nami As New FIRS Boss

Avatar

Published

on

President Muhammadu Buhari has appointed Muhammad Nami to replace Babatunde Fowler as chairman of the Federal Inland Revenue Service (FIRS).

Fowler’s tenure expired on Monday.

More to follow…

Continue Reading

BIG STORY

Orji Kalu Will Receive Full Salaries, Allowances In Prison — Senate

Peter Okunoren

Published

on

The convicted Chief Whip of the Senate, Orji Kalu, will continue to receive his salaries and all other entitlements while in prison, the Senate has said.

This is despite that he will not be performing any legislative function from prison.

The spokesperson of the Senate, Godiya Akwashiki, disclosed this to PREMIUM TIMES on Sunday.

He said despite the conviction, Mr Kalu remains a sitting senator and will be paid all of his entitlements in full.

He said until the case gets to Supreme Court and a final judgement is given, Mr Kalu remains a serving lawmaker.

“He is still a senator. This is the first court. The matter is going to Supreme Court so, he still has the opportunity to appeal up to the Supreme Court level.

“Of course they will pay him. Because he is a sitting senator just like I said…if you file for an appeal, you are still serving and so they will pay you.

“All his entitlements will be paid. There is no cause for alarm. In fact, even if the Court of Appeal says they have upheld the judgement of the lower court, he still has the right to go to Supreme Court. So once the Supreme Court says, yes, the judgement is okay, then that’s the final,” he explained.

Earlier, Mr Akwashiki said Mr Kalu’s seat will not be declared vacant.

He explained that no provision in the constitution that says the seat of any senator facing prosecution or convicted at a lower court should be declared vacant.

Mr Kalu’s seat will not be declared vacant except he (Mr Kalu) has explored all the legal options available to him without success, he said.

“Even the tenure of a former governor Joshua Dariye, who has been in prison for some time now, ran its course until the end of the 8th National Assembly. Nobody declared his seat vacant.”

The Federal High Court in Lagos on Thursday sentenced Mr Kalu to 12 years in prison after convicting him of N7.65 billion fraud.

Mr Kalu, a former governor of Abia State, was pronounced guilty of the charge in a trial that lasted for 12 years.

The conviction comes 12 years after the ex-governor was first arrested by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) in 2007 and was tried alongside his company, Slok Nigeria Limited, and Udeh Udeogu, who was Director of Finance and Accounts at the Abia State Government House during Mr Kalu’s tenure as governor.

Continue Reading

BIG STORY

BREAKING: Assassins Attacks MD Of Maersk Line, Wife Forced To Drink Acid

Avatar

Published

on

Palpable tension has enveloped Maersk, one of the biggest organizations in the Nigerian maritime industry.

According to reports, the Managing Director of Maersk Line, Gildas Tohouo Tohouo, and his family were said to have been attacked at their Lugard Road, Ikoyi home last night.

The attacked happened while he, his three children and his wife were at home.

While reports are saying that the man himself was severely stabbed and battling for his life, the wife is said to have given up the ghost as she was forced to drink acid by their assailants.

Several angles are being linked to the unfortunate incident. While some are saying the attack must have been as a result of a generator contract gone wrong between Maersk and some other unnamed companies, some are saying the attack was as a result of domestic electrician that was sacked.

Those in the know are claiming that Maersk as an organization is not new to attacks as such that results in the loss of lives. A source who craved anonymity claims that the company once sent two Dutch auditors to look into its books and both men were shot dead by assassins in a full office.

The attack on the managing director and his family is being suspected to be an insider job by some other people because the security around where he lives is premium and he lives close to former interim head of state, Chief Ernest Shonekan, whose place also enjoys excellent security because of his status as a former head of state.

Continue Reading

Most Popular