Connect with us

BIG STORY

How Ex-Oyo Gov. Ajimobi Granted Amnesty To Ibadan Lawyer Jailed For Killing Her Husband, Says Yewande Not A Murderer

Avatar

Published

on

A week before the end of his tenure in May 2019, the then Governor of Oyo State, Abiola Ajimobi, pardoned an official of the Oyo State Ministry of Justice, Yewande Oyediran, who was sentenced to seven years in prison for killing her husband, Lowo.

Oyediran, who was a lawyer, was in November 2017, convicted for manslaughter by Justice Muntar Abimbola of the Oyo State High Court, sitting in Ibadan, Oyo State.

She killed her husband with a knife after a disagreement on February 2, 2016, at their residence in the Akobo area of Ibadan. The disagreement was said to have arisen after Yewande accused her late husband of infidelity.

However, a few days before leaving office, Governor Ajimobi granted the convict amnesty.

Yewande, reportedly ‘flees’ to London after her release by ex-Governor Ajimobi

Speaking on Sunday, the Attorney-General of Oyo State under Ajimobi, Mr. Seun Abimbola, said the governor had the constitutional right to grant amnesty to any convict.

He, however, said Ajimobi did not exercise the power arbitrarily as it was being insinuated.

Abimbola said on the day the convict was pardoned, 49 other persons were also freed by Ajimobi.

The former commissioner for justice said a committee was set up to look into the petitions of 400 persons who had pleaded for clemency.

He said the committee comprised commissioners, officials of the Department of State Services and other government agencies which then advised the government.

The former AG dismissed reports that the convict was pardoned because of her former position as an official of the ministry of justice and the influence of her family.

Abimbola said, “The issue of clemency by any government is constitutional but the exercise of that power is not arbitrary. It is based on the recommendation of the committee on the prerogative of mercy.

“The committee is chaired by the attorney-general and also has DSS officers, the police, the chaplain and the chief imam of the Government House, Legal Aid Council, Director, Legal Affairs, the Solicitor-General and the Directorate of Public Prosecution are members. So, it was not an arbitrary decision.

The lady in question is just one out of 50 that were pardoned. And the 50 that were pardoned were drawn out of 400 that were considers. So, she was not singled out as some are insinuating. Even the prisons authorities brought recommendations on the good behaviour of those pardoned.”

Abimbola maintained that Oyediran had already served half of her sentence and the governor decided to show her mercy since she was not convicted of premeditated murder.

He explained that nine months in prison is equal to a year, adding that her sentence began counting from the day she was detained.

The former commissioner added, “She was arrested in 2016 and her sentence started reading from the day she was arrested. A year in prison is nine months. She was not convicted for murder but for manslaughter. It was a fight between a husband and a wife which resulted in death.

“People should stop saying she killed her husband as if it was premeditated. The amnesty was not a secret one. We did it every May 29 and even the new governor pardoned convicts on June 12.”

The decision of the Ajimobi-led government to pardon the husband killer has, however, sparked a debate on social media.

Many argued that were the convict a man, he would not have been released so early from prison.

Many male Nigerians further stated that had it been a woman that was killed, several feminist groups would have taken to the streets to protest.

BIG STORY

Day-1 Of Restriction: Sanwo-Olu Thanks Lagosians For Observing The ‘Stay-At-Home’ Order, Promises More Relief Package

Avatar

Published

on

Lagos State Governor, Mr Babajide Olusola Sanwo-Olu, has sent a message of appreciation to worthy Lagosians for obeying President Buhari’s stay-at-home directive in order to fight the deadly coronavirus.

Read below the official statement from Governor Sanwo-Olu:

I would like to note the high level of our people’s compliance with this presidential directive. It has shown that we realize the enormity of the challenge that we are facing and the choice that we have made – fighting to stave off a massive attack of COVID-19 and staying alive to reclaim our life that has been disrupted by this unseen enemy.

The restriction, I would like to remind us, is to contain the community spreading of this disease by enlisting everybody in the fight and ensuring that many more do not contract it.

It is on this note that I would like to warn those who may wish to breach the restriction that their action is against the Public Health interest of all Lagosians.

On the medical front, I have been informed that all our COVID 19 patients are stable. Five of them were discharged on Monday and – by the grace of The Almighty- more will soon be out of the hospital. Our medical staff – exceptional men and women all – are doing their all to ensure that the patients do well, regain their health and return home to their families. We will be doing a lot to encourage them and lighten their burden by staying indoors.

Only those rendering essential services, who must be well identified; are allowed to go out when necessary.

Our Welfare Package remains on course. As I have often said, those at the bottom of the economic ladder, the underprivileged and the most vulnerable among us will not be left to fend for themselves at this difficult time, Our Relief Package, which is to reach about 200,000 households in the first instance, has continued. Parts of the following local governments are being covered: Amuwo Odofin, Epe, Ikeja, Badagry, Ibeju – Lekki, Agege, Oshodi-Isolo, Apapa, and Lagos Mainland. Others will soon be reached.

May I seize this opportunity to thank those worthy Lagosians, who have demonstrated the true spirit of “A Greater Lagos” by coming forward to help at this time.

I salute our law enforcement agents who have been working tirelessly to ensure that the presidential directive is enforced. I enjoin them to continue in that spirit. They should be firm but courteous in discharging their responsibilities.

Again, I have no doubt that if we continue to fight in unity, COVID-19 will be defeated and we will come out victorious as we always do.

Babajide Olusola Sanwo-Olu

Governor of Lagos State

Continue Reading

BIG STORY

BREAKING: COVID-19: FG To Reach 11 Million Nigerians With Palliatives

Avatar

Published

on

The federal government has said it will be reaching more than 11 million Nigerians with palliatives to cushion the harsh effects of the measures set to fight back the outbreak of the Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19) Pandemic.

Also, the government has said it will continue to increase the capacity to test for cases of the Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19) on a weekly basis.

The Minister of Humanitarian Affairs, Disaster Management and Social Development, Hajiya Sadiya Umar Farouk, while reacting to questions on Tuesday at the daily media briefing by the Presidential Task Force on COVID-19 in Abuja, also disclosed that internally displaced persons (IDPs) in the Northeast part of the country already received two months rations of relief materials.

She said the government already had a social-register with details of those considered as the vulnerable in society in 35 states of the federation, adding that these people belong to around 2.6 million households across the country.

Also speaking, the Director-General of the Nigeria Center for Disease Control (NCDC), Dr Chike Ihekweazu, said Nigeria would continue to develop the capacity to test for COVID-19, said while it now has the capacity to test up to 1,000 this week, it hopes to be able to test as many as 1,500 next week.

Details Shortly…

Continue Reading

BIG STORY

Stay-At-Home: Lagos Wives Rejoice As Husbands Kick, Says They’re Now Redundant

Gbemileke Ajayi

Published

on

There are mixed reactions from husbands and wives over the Lagos State government’s stay-at-home directive following the COVID-19 pandemic.

News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) reports that Lagos State government last week directed the closure of open markets, recreational centers, saloons and public places with exception of those selling food, medicine, and other essentials.

The directives are aimed at checking coronavirus spread.

Speaking with NAN on the effects of the stay-at-home, some wives said it had strengthened bonding between them and their spouses.

But most husbands decried the development as house arrest.

They claimed it rendered them redundant.

A resident of Okokomaiko, Nkiru Ekene, told NAN the order had positive and negative effects.

According to her, she was happy the order compelled her husband to spend time with her and their children, thereby strengthening the bond between the couple and family.

“The situation has afforded us an opportunity to monitor the kids, my caregivers and certain attitudes they exhibit in my absence.

“However, it has also weakened financial strength, since many husbands earn their incomes through daily sales,’’ she said.

Kosisochukwu Ndubuisi, who lives in the same area, said the order had kept her husband at home.

“Yes, I will say that I am happy that my husband is always in the house.

“Before now, most men spend much time at drinking bars after work, instead of returning home to their families, but now, the situation has changed.’’

Continue Reading

Most Popular