Connect with us

BIG STORY

Tight Security In Abuja Over Alleged Plot To Disrupt Buhari’s Second Term Inauguration

Avatar

Published

on

To forestall an alleged plot to disrupt today’s inauguration of President Muhammadu Buhari for a second term in office, the service chiefs and heads of other security agencies have notched up security around him.

The service chiefs met with the president yesterday where they assured him of adequate security for the event.

The Nigerian Army recently alerted the Federal Government and Nigerians to an alleged plan by some groups and foreign interests to disrupt the handover and scuttle the democratic process.

In a statement by its Acting Director of Public Relations, Colonel Sagir Musa, the army said the “mischievous elements” had thought Nigeria would not have successful 2019 general elections but they were proved wrong.

After the meeting held at the Presidential Villa, the Chief of Naval Staff, Vice Admiral Ibok-Ete Ibas, told State House correspondents that the committee handling the inauguration of President Buhari had already been briefed on the readiness to deliver the programme safely.

“You will recall we met just about two weeks ago, but the president has to call for this meeting given that tomorrow (today) he will be sworn in. Of course basically the meeting was to further reappraise the actions taken after the last meeting.”

The naval chief stated that President Buhari, at the closed-door meeting, directed the heads of security agencies to strengthen efforts in checking inflow of illegal arms to the country.

“Another area of concern was the arms inflow into the nation. It is only God perhaps that can police such an expanse of border that we have. That is an area that Mr. President has directed that we do all that we can to ensure that we block the gaps and those security areas that we also need to address.”

Those present at the meeting included the outgoing Ministers of Defence, Mansur Dan-Ali and Interior, Gen. Abdulrahman Dambazzau; Chief of Defence Staff, General Abayomi Olonisakin; Chief of Army Staff, Lieutenant General Tukur Buratai and Chief of Air Staff, Air Marshal Sadique Abubakar.

Besides, ahead of today’s inauguration of new administrations in most states, some outgoing chief executive officers have since handed over the reins of government to the newly elected governors, an action which some observers have described as unconstitutional.

Normally, the handover and the inauguration take place the same day, lasting for several hours and characterised by exciting activities and displays, unlike the quiet and short ceremonies witnessed these days.

A lot more apparently go into inaugurations and democratic change of baton than cameras often capture.

BIG STORY

SAD! Taxify Driver Awaiting Youth Service Loses Sight To Lagos Traffic Robbers

Gbemileke Ajayi

Published

on

A graduate of Physics from the Kogi State University, Tomi Waziri, 27, has lost his eyesight to an armed robbery attack while in traffic in the Apongbon area of Lagos.

Waziri, who was waiting for his call up letter from the National Youth Service Corps for the mandatory one year service, was said to have approached his sister’s husband to engage him as a Taxify ride-hailing service driver until he would be mobilized for the scheme.

It was learnt that on September 12, two armed robbers attacked him while in traffic and shot him in the face.

Waziri was said to be conveying a female passenger to the Papa Ajao area of Mushin around 8.00 p.m., when the robbers attacked him.

They were said to have left immediately they shot him.

The victim narrated his experience, “I live at No. 35 Daudu Street, Mafoluku, Oshodi. I was robbed in traffic on the Apongbon Bridge, Lagos, on September 12, 2019, by two young men around 8pm. I was a Taxify (now Bolt) driver and I had a female passenger in the car. We were going to Papa Ajao, Mushin.

“One of the robbers pointed a gun at me; I was about giving him my phone, when he shot me in the face and collected the phone. The pellets shattered the window and hit me in my two eyes.

“The robbers ran away immediately I was shot. My passenger became scared and panicky. The next thing I noticed was that she disembarked from the vehicle and began calling for help as she was running away.

“I was bleeding profusely without help. I came down from the vehicle and shouted for help; nobody answered. After about five minutes, two policemen showed up.

“They were the ones who took me to the Military Hospital, Yaba, in my vehicle. One of the policemen drove us to the hospital. While driving, the other was busy holding me and saying kind words to me so that I wouldn’t give up.

“When we got there, I was given first aid to stabilise my condition.

“I lost vision immediately I was shot. After treatment, it is still the same, we are only hoping for God’s intervention. The vehicle belongs to my sister’s husband. I used to remit money to him pending when I would get the NYSC call-up letter.”

According to him, his brother-in-law has been supportive and is always around for him.

Waziri noted that the doctors at the Eye Foundation, Isaac John Street, Ikeja GRA, told him that if he had been treated earlier, he would have regained sight in his right eye.

He added, “I went for surgery at the Eye Foundation. Before then, I was being treated at the Lagos State University Teaching Hospital, Ikeja, and I was about to do the surgery at LASUTH, but there were delays there.

“It was through God’s help that we were able to do it at the Eye Foundation. And when we got there, we were told that if we had come for the surgery earlier, I would have been seeing with at least my right eye. LASUTH was just negligent and wasting time.

“What the doctors are saying now is that we can only hope for the best; what I know is that there is no vision now.”

Waziri noted that his nose was treated at LASUTH, adding that there were still pellets in his face and two teeth, as there were pellets logged in the gum.

He said the doctors told him that if he wanted to get permanent treatment for his damaged teeth, he would have to pay N350,000 for each.

Concerning the pellets in his face, he said the doctors advised him that any attempt to remove them would result in more damage, adding that his body would expel them naturally.

Continue Reading

BIG STORY

Makinde vs Adelabu: Confusion As APC, PDP Celebrate Appeal Court Ruling In Oyo

Peter Okunoren

Published

on

There was wild jubilation in Oyo State following the Monday ruling of the Appeal Court on the application filed by the gubernatorial candidate of the All Progressive Congress (APC) in the last elections, Adebayo Adelabu, against the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) candidate, Engr. Seyi Makinde.

The Court of Appeal sitting in Ibadan held that there was a miscarriage of justice at the Oyo State Election Petition Tribunal because they should have considered every document submitted to prove its case and not lump it together and consider it as one, it did not give any consequential order to that effect.

The Appellate Court in its ruling resolved the four issues filed by Adelabu in favour of Makinde and dismissed the four reasons. The court had noted that it allowed the appeal because there were issues of a miscarriage of justice at the lower court but added that a judgement must be given after considering a situation in its entirety.

The four-man panel further noted that in this situation the 180 days mandated for the tribunal to operate had lapsed and there was consequently no reason to touch the ruling of the lower court.

Adelabu had filed an appeal through his counsel, Yusuf Alli (SAN), against the judgement of the tribunal upholding the victory of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) candidate, Engr Seyi Makinde, praying the court to dismiss the judgment of the lower court and order a fresh election while counsel to Seyi Makinde urged the court to dismiss the appeal and uphold the judgement of the case.

While the camps of the APC has started jubilating, the PDP camp has also started jubilating in reaction to the judgement.

APC United Kingdom as at 1:07 PM via his verified Twitter handle @APCUKingdom tweeted that “[BREAKING NEWS] Appeal court rules in favour of APC Gubernatorial candidate in Oyo State, Adebayo Adelabu, as his appeal was upheld. More Details shortly! #NextLevel @OfficialAPCNg @apcghanachapter @apcyouthomoodua.”

Appeal court rules in favour of APC Gubernatorial candidate in Oyo State, Adebayo Adelabu, as his appeal was upheld.

More Details shortly!#NextLevel @OfficialAPCNg @apcghanachapter @apcyouthomoodua pic.twitter.com/pHnxg7L5GC

— APC United Kingdom (@APCUKingdom) November 11, 2019

The PDP via G.S.M Media @MakindeMedia, an independent media campaign team for Makinde said: “Congratulations Gov. Seyi Makinde. People’s choice!”

Congratulations Gov. Seyi Makinde.

People’s choice! pic.twitter.com/P2xHZEMAt2

— G.S.M Media (@MakindeMedia) November 11, 2019

A copy of the image accompanying the tweet was also posted by Oyo State PDP via @PDPOyoState.

Continue Reading

BIG STORY

Great News! 12-Year-Old Nigerian Boy, Chika Ofili, Bags Award In UK For Discovering A New Formula In Mathematics

Avatar

Published

on

Master Chika Ofili, a 12-year-old Nigerian boy based in the UK, has bagged a special award for recognition after making a shocking new discovery in mathematics.

He is said to have discovered a new formula for divisibility by 7 in mathematics.

His new formula for divisibility of 7 is to multiply the last digit in the figure and then add everything together, then check if the new figure is a multiple of 7.

For example, to check if 7 can divide 532, the process is illustrated below:

53 + 2 x 5= 63

63, is a multiple of 7; hence 7 can divide it. Amazing isn’t it??? Nigeria to the World!!!

Continue Reading

Most Popular