Connect with us

/">

BIG STORY

Ignore The Lies, We Didn’t Issue Any Certificate Of Return To Adeleke — INEC

Avatar

Published

on

The Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) has said it can issue a certificate of return to Sen Ademola Adeleke of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) only if the embattled governor of Osun State, Gboyega Oyetola fails to appeal the judgment of the tribunal that sacked him within 21 days.

Recalls that the Osun State governorship election petition tribunal sitting in Abuja had last week Friday nullified the election of Oyetola of the All Progressives Congress (APC) and declared Adeleke winner of the 2018 gubernatorial election.

Justice Peter Obiora who delivered the majority judgment of the tribunal ordered INEC to immediately issue a fresh certificate of return to Adeleke as the lawful and validly elected governor of Osun State, after declaring the September 27, 2018 re-run election as illegal.

However, rumours went round the social media with pictures suggesting INEC issued a certificate of return to Adeleke.

Reacting, INEC National Commissioner and chairman, Information and Voter Education Committee, Barr Festus Okoye debunked the rumours.

“The commission has not issued any new certificate in relation to Osun State.

“Section 143(1) of the Electoral Act gives a candidate whose election is set aside a period of 21days from the date of the decision to appeal against such a decision,” Okoye said while explaining why the commission can’t issue a certificate of return to Adeleke.

“The person is entitled to remain in office pending the determination of the appeal. The commission will only issue the certificate if appeal is not lodged within 21 days. The commission has not issued any new certificate in relation to Osun State,” Okoye told Leadership newspaper.

BIG STORY

#JusticeForBarakat: 18-Year-Old Undergraduate ‘Gang-Raped’, Murdered In Ibadan

Gbemileke Ajayi

Published

on




An 18-year-old girl, identified as Bello Barakat, was reportedly gang-raped and murdered by unknown men in Ibadan, Oyo state capital.

The incident was said to have occurred on Tuesday in the Akinyele area of Ibadan, Oyo state.

It was gathered that her dad found her dead body around their home after her body was examined, they discovered that she was raped, then she got murdered.

Bello Barakat, aged 18, was a year one student of the Federal College of Animal Health and Production in Ibadan.

It was gathered that she has been buried according to Islamic rites.

Meanwhile, the National Association of Nigerian Students (NANS) Southwest, zone D has demanded justice for the deceased who was assaulted and murdered.

Her death has continued to attract outrage nationwide as Nigerians have taken to social media to express their displeasure over the rising cases of Rape in Nigeria with the hashtag #JusticeforBarakat.

Recall that Ms Omozuwa, a 100 level Microbiology student of the University of Benin, was assaulted inside a hall in the Redeemed Christian Church of God (RCCG), Ikpoba Hill, Benin City on May 13, where she went to study.




Continue Reading

BIG STORY

COVID-19: If You’re 55 And Above, Avoid Mosques, Churches For Now —- FG

Avatar

Published

on




The Federal Government on Tuesday gave an advisory to Nigerians saying “If you are 55 years old and above, avoid churches and mosques’.

Those with health conditions such as diabetes, cancer, HIV, among others, are also enjoined to stay at home to worship, the government added.

It noted that the advice was necessary because places of worship have been recognised as a major avenue of the potential spread of Coronavirus.

The government stated this through the Presidential Task Force (PTF) on COVID-19 Control. It released the guidelines for states to follow in discussions with religious leaders before the reopening of churches and mosques for worshippers.

The government said the protocols made available would be the baseline which the states are not expected to go below while firming up an agreement with religious leaders.

Nigerians have been pressuring the government to reopen worship centres in spite of the spike in COVID-19 positive cases, leading to easing of restrictions on religious centres.

The PTF National Coordinator, Dr. Aliyu Sani, who announced the guidelines said religious centres should keep a record of attendees.

Dr. Sani said this would allow for contact tracing in the case of virus spread.

He urged worshippers experiencing common symptoms of COVID-19 to stay away from churches and mosques.

He said: “We are strongly advising vulnerable individuals such as those with underlying conditions like diabetes, cardiovascular disease, HIV, cancer and those above the age of 55 years to please stay at home and consider remote participation or non-contact attendance.

“When we look at the death rate for persons who have died from COVID-19 in Nigeria, the case fatality rate; more than half of those that died were above the age of 50.

“Secondly, the case fatality rate if you are above the age of 50, is 17 per cent. If you are above the age of 55, it is 18 per cent. It is almost a one in five chances of dying if you catch COVID-19 and you fall within that group.

“Worshippers should be reminded not to attend in person if experiencing common symptoms of COVID-19, including fever, cough and shortness of breath or have had close contact with an infected person in the last 14 days.

“All worshippers noted to have a temperature or are symptomatic should be turned back and not allowed admission.

“Places of worship should ideally keep up to date record of their staff including contact details and if possible, a record of attendees of church services for instance or an even small mosque to enable contact tracing in the event that somebody comes up positive.

“Considering the dangers posed by the pandemic, we strongly recommend that religious visits to homes by religious clerics should be discouraged.”

The national coordinator said: “It is important to note that due to the nature of religious congregations, places of worship are particularly recognised to have a major potential for spreading COVID -19 infection among worshippers and this has been clearly demonstrated in several outbreaks globally linked to religious gatherings.

“Places of worship that are unable to comply with these measures should not be allowed to operate by state governments.

“Churches are to open from 5 am and close by 8 pm. Each service should be for a maximum of one hour with an interval of 20 minutes in-between services to allow time for disinfection.”

He said the task force will not hesitate to shut down religious centres if they fail to comply with the protocols developed for their reopening.

“These guidelines provide a baseline for the states to then develop their own policies specific to their areas depending on the prevalence of COVID-19, depending on whether or not people are likely to follow and comply fully.

“But we will be reviewing these guidelines from time to time and we will definitely review them if it looks like we are having issues with regards to this relaxation and I plead with the public to understand with us but more importantly, continue to stay safe.

“It is better to stay at home and worship than to go into a place of worship,” he emphasised.

Sani reminded Nigerians of the dangers posed by the virus, noting that now is not the time to relax measures against the pandemic.

“Let me make some clarifications because I understand there has been a lot of concern nationwide about the opening of places of worship.

“There is no doubt that COVID-19 is still around, there is no doubt that it is safer for you to stay at home and there is also no doubt that it is safer for you to worship at home.

“The PTF is providing safety advisory or guidance in the event that you need to upgrade your spiritual needs and you cannot do it at home but we are not making recommendations that people should go to places of worship but if they chose to, we are providing advisory to enable them to do so safely.

“COVID-19 has not gone away. You only need to look at the numbers. We are in the exponential stage of the illness. We have moved as a country right up to the third position in Africa and because of our population, we could also move to the second position or even the first.

“So now is the time to continue to take precautionary measures. Now is not the time to relax. I hope I have made that clear.

“In view of the widespread community transmission of COVID -19, it is important that places of worship operate in a safe manner to ensure the protection of public health, avoid outbreaks and safeguard the health of vulnerable members of the population.”




Continue Reading

BIG STORY

24 Female Victims Accuse Babcock Student Of Rape, Storm Twitter With Evidence [See All]

Avatar

Published

on




No fewer than 24 ladies have accused a real estate agent, Godknows Adolphus, of rape.

The ladies, in a series of tweets on Tuesday, said Adolphus, also known as Yangy on social media, took advantage of and defiled them.

Yangy was also described as a student of a Babcock University in Ogun State.

One of his victims, who sent a direct message to a Twitter activist, Angie, said she was afraid of coming out because of stigmatization and possible backlash on social media.

The victim stated in the message to Angie that the modus operandi of Yangy was to be friends with ladies and later invite them over to his house or his uncle’s hotel in Port Harcourt, Rivers State, where he used to defile them.

The message read in part, “There is this guy I want you to help me warn girls to stay away from because he’s always inviting people over and raping them. I’m also among his victims; I can’t speak for some reason or even use my handle because I can’t bare answering questions from people.

“This guy I’m talking about, we used to be friends till he raped me and his excuse was that he was tempted. Please, I want you to tell as many girls that are going to see this that the guy that calls himself Yangy is a rapist and they should beware of him.”

The revelation of the lady prompted other supposed victims to come out and narrate their experiences with Yangy to Angie.

Another victim in a direct message to Angie stated, “I was 14 at the time and he lied to me that he was 17. He manipulated me thinking that we were in a serious relationship and forced his way on me the day I went over to see him. I told him to stop severally cause it hurt as I was a virgin but he didn’t stop. So he isn’t just a rapist but a paedophile.”

Other supposed victims also released their WhatsApp conversations and voice recordings, where he allegedly admitted to raping them.

A Twitter user, Ella Uzama, who stated that she would have been a victim, tweeted how she allegedly escaped Yangy’s antics.

She tweeted, “Lol, I remember putting up ‘I need a job ‘on my story in 100lvl and this guy met me after Sabbath and said he had a job, and the job was ‘I’ll follow him to clubs and he’ll hook me with men and then give him his cut after I sleep with them. He’s useless.”

Another Twitter user, @Phcanonymous, accused Yangy of visiting his victims’ houses with hoodlums and threatening them to recant on their accusations and delete their evidence.

Reacting to the allegations, Yangy on his Twitter handle, @yangy_adolph, said he was not involved in any of the alleged incidents, adding that he would contact the relevant authorities over the allegation.

He tweeted, “Ordinarily, I would have ignored the rumour peddling around but for posterity sake, let me categorically say that I have no involvement in the alleged rape.

“As we all know, rape is a serious offense in the world and is something that no one can condone. I strongly stand against rape in all entirety. However, I would inform the relevant authorities concerning this allegation for my reputation.”

See Screenshots below:

 

Picture Credit: Ghana Gossip




Continue Reading



JoIn Us On Facebook


Live COVID-19 statistics for
World
Confirmed
6,472,375
Recovered
2,757,468
Deaths
387,712
Last updated: 7 minutes ago






Most Popular

COVID-19 LIVE UPDATE

BE SAFE, STAY AT HOME