Connect with us

/">

BIG STORY

Saraki Was Highest Donor To Buhari’s Election, Lai Mohammed Wept To Get Ministerial Slot — Doyin Okupe

Avatar

Published

on

Dr. Doyin Okupe, an ex-aide of former President Olusegun Obasanjo, has described the President of the Senate and the Director General of the Peoples Democratic Party Presidential Campaign Council, Dr. Abubakar Bukola Saraki, as the highest donor to the election funds of President Muhammadu Buhari for the 2015 elections.

Okupe, in a statement on Sunday, said Saraki contributed far more than a National Leader of the All Progressives Congress, Asiwaju Bola Ahmed Tinubu, and the Minister of Transportation, Rotimi Amaechi, to Buhari’s success at the polls.

He said it was in this regard that Buhari promised Saraki the Senate presidency and two ministerial slot.

He said after Buhari’s emergence, the President told Saraki that he could only get one ministerial slot, to which the former Kwara State governor acceded.

However, after a while, Okupe said Buhari called Saraki again to plead with him that the then spokesman of the APC, who is also from Kwara State, Alhaji Lai Mohammed, should be the beneficiary of the slot the Senate president should have.

Saraki was then said to have told the President that he needed to consult with his people back home.

During the consultation, Mohammed was said to have wept profusely and rolled on the floor to convince the caucus of Saraki that he should be considered for the slot.

The statement by Okupe reads in full: “Prior to the establishment of the President Muhammadu Buhari’s government, certain agreements were reached with principal stakeholders.

“Saraki was among the major stakeholders, being the single individual that raised the highest donation to the Buhari/All Progressives Congress campaign, far in excess of (what) Asiwaju (Bola) Tinubu or (Rotimi) Amaechi or anyone for that matter, (donated).

“Saraki was promised the post of Senate President and two ministerial slots.

“After May 29, 2015, President Muhammadu Buhari called Saraki and apologised that he could only have one ministerial slot instead of the two previously agreed.

“Saraki, most reluctantly, but in deference to the President, conceded.

“Shortly afterwards, the President requested for another political favour from Saraki.

This time, he wanted Saraki’s consent to use the remaining one ministerial slot allocated to him (Saraki) to appoint Lai Mohammed as minister.

“This was a gruesome blow to Saraki who questioned why the President could not ask Asiwaju (Tinubu) to accommodate Lai Mohammed in his own slot.

“The President confirmed to Saraki that Asiwaju had blatantly refused to do so. A thoroughly perplexed Saraki could only plead with the president to allow him go back home in Kwara State and find the best way to break this heart-shattering news to members of his political family.

“It was an unimaginable scenario. It took more than sagacity and political dexterity for the request of the President to be accepted but for the grace and very long lasting bonded relationship for the Saraki camp not to break up for this singular development.

“Lai Mohammed was summoned by the elders of the group, including Alhaji Kawu Baraje and former Governor Shaba Lafiaji and others.

“Lai Mohammed wept profusely, severally rolling on bare floor and swearing on every sacred institution and object of faith.

“The elders told him point blank that they did not trust him but that they were doing this for God, the President and interest of their leader, Bukola Saraki.

“Today, Lai Mohammed is the leader of a movement planning to unseat Saraki and destroy him politically.”

BIG STORY

BREAKING: Ondo Commissioner For Health Dies Of COVID-19

Avatar

Published

on




Ondo State Commissioner for Health, Mr. Wahab Adegbenro is dead.

A source revealed that Mr Adegbenro died on Monday after he was rushed to a hospital in Owo after contracting Coronavirus.

“The Commissioner died at the Federal Medical Centre in Owo and this has just thrown the entire cabinet into chaos.

“He died of COVID-19 because he had contracted the virus earlier and was taking drugs at his own comfort being a medical doctor.”

Governor of the state, Rotimi Akeredolu, is currently in self-isolation after testing positive for the virus earlier this week.

Details later…




Continue Reading

BIG STORY

Former Nigerian Ambassador Vincent Okobi Is Dead

Peter Okunoren

Published

on




Former Nigerian Ambassador to Togo, Vincent Sunny Okobi is dead.

A statement by the family, which was signed by Amaechi Okobi, Group Head, Corporate Communications, Access Bank Plc reads as follows:

“Our family is deeply saddened to announce the passing of Ambassador Vincent Sunny Okobi, who passed away peacefully surrounded by his family on Saturday, June 27, 2020, after a long illness.

Ambassador Okobi was the quintessential gentleman and a diplomat who has left an indelible mark on the world stage. First as a clerk under then Governor-General of Nigeria Dr. Nnamdi Azikiwe, before leaving Nigeria for the United States. Then as a civil rights activist and President of the African Students’ Union in Washington, D.C. in the 1960s. While serving as Nigerian Ambassador to Togo, he was awarded France’s Légion d’honneur by President Francois Mitterrand for his commitment to promoting Franco-Nigerian foreign relations.

Most of all though, Ambassador Okobi has left his most unforgettable legacy as a devoted husband of 52 years, father of four children, and grandfather of 14.

Ambassador Okobi is survived by:

Justice Victoria Okobi (wife)
Amaechi Okobi
Yomi & Adaobi Oniwinde
I.K. & Alison Okobi
Patrick & Awele Okigbo

Comfort Odiachi (sister)
Maggie Okobi (sister)
Patricia Dada Amuzie (sister)
Telema Okobi (brother)

We would like to thank all friends and well-wishers for your constant love and support.
In strict adherence to COVID-19 guidelines, we respectfully ask that well-wishers do not plan home visits to the family at this time.

Burial plans will be announced shortly. In the meantime, we ask that you keep our family in your prayers.”

 

Signed:
Amaechi Michael Okobi
on behalf of the family




Continue Reading

BIG STORY

BREAKING: Dubai Police Hand Over Ramoni Igbalode ‘Hushpuppi’ To FBI In The US

Avatar

Published

on




Nigerian Instagram Celebrity Ramoni Igbalode aka Hushpuppi has been handed over to the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) in the US, Dubai Police said on Thursday, Gulf News Dubai is reporting.

According to a statement, Christopher Wray, Director of FBI, praised the role of Dubai Police in arresting Raymond Abbas (Hushpuppi) and Olalekan Jacob Ponle aka Woodbery and handing them over to the US.

“Director of FBI expressed his thanks for the exceptional efforts (of Dubai Police) in fighting organized cyber crimes and arresting Hushpuppi and Woodbery,” Dubai Police said in the statement.

According to Dubai Police, Hushpuppi and Woodberry wanted for a series of crimes like money-laundering, fraud, hacking of websites and accounts, impersonation, banking fraud etc.

Hushpuppi and Woodberry were arrested with 10 other suspects on allegations of fraud, involving huge money.

Hushpuppi often posted pictures on Instagram with his luxury cars and private jet.

Last month, Dubai Police said that the operation called “Fox Hunt 2”, revealed a hidden online fraud network that was committing crimes outside the UAE, including money-laundering, cyber fraud, hacking, criminal impersonating, scamming individuals, banking fraud and identity theft.

Police said the raid resulted in the seizure of incriminating documents pertaining to a well-planned international fraud worth Dh1.6 billion.

According to Dubai Police, the gang used to hack corporate emails and send fake emails to corporate customers to change money transfers to the gang’s personal banking accounts.

“They were designing and mimicking company and bank websites to steal credit card data and illegally obtain victims’ money before laundering the cash,” said Brigadier Jamal Al Jallaf Director of Criminal Investigation Department at Dubai Police.

During the arrest, police found a huge amount of data on individuals, companies, bank accounts, credit cards as well as documents of money laundering, online fraud, and hacking accounts of victims outside the UAE.

“The forged documents pertained to online fraud outside the country. The fraud was worth more than Dh1.6 billion. We seized more than Dh150 million in cash from them and confiscated 13 luxury cars worth Dh25 million,” Brig Al Jallaf said.

Police confiscated 21 computers, 47 smartphones, 15 memory cards, five hard disks containing 119,580 fraud files as well as addresses of nearly two million victims.




Continue Reading




JoIn Us On Facebook


Live COVID-19 statistics for
World
Confirmed
10,799,627
Recovered
5,479,743
Deaths
524,871
Last updated: 5 minutes ago






Most Popular

COVID-19 LIVE UPDATE

BE SAFE, STAY AT HOME