Connect with us

BIG STORY

BREAKING: Buhari Orders Prosecution Of Amaju Pinnick Over NFF Multi-Billion Alleged Fraud, Banned From Traveling

Avatar

Published

on

President Muhammadu Buhari has ordered the prosecution of the President of the Nigerian Football Federation, Amaju Pinnick, over an alleged multi-billion scam in the organisation.

It was also learnt that the Federal Government through the Presidential investigative panel headed by Mr. Okoi Obono-Obla, had placed Pinnick on travel ban.

Our correspondent gathered on Saturday that Buhari gave the order for Pinnick’s prosecution when the Obono-Obla presented a preliminary investigation report to him.

The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission also addressed a report on the NFF to Mr President detailing the outcome of their investigations which tallied with what Obono-Obla’s panel had submitted to the President.

EFCC Chairman, Ibrahim Magu had in his six-page report informed Buhari that the anti-graft agency had investigated and prosecuted the Director, Finance and Administration, Christopher Andekin; Head, Finance and Administration, NFF, Jafaru Mamzah and a cashier with the Finance and Administration department of the NFF, Rajan Zaka over an alleged financial scam in the football governing house in connection with financial payments from Federation of International Football Associations and Confederation of African Football to NFF between 2014 and 2016.

But Buhari who was said to have been visibly angry over the alleged monumental scam ordered Pinnick to also be prosecuted. He directed Magu to embark on a wider investigation into the remittances to the
NFF between 2017 and 2018.

The president, who was reportedly shocked by the mind-boggling report and additional revelations directed Magu to ensure a comprehensive and discreet investigation with watertight and unassailable facts and
pieces of evidence that would nail the suspects at the court.

According to the EFCC preliminary report, EFCC stated that it commenced full investigation into the finances of the NFF where it discovered that the domiciliary accounts of the NFF domiciled with two top nigerian banks had received total inflow of $16,417,761 from FIFA and CAF between January, 2014 and June, 2016.

Magu in the report also informed Buhari that investigation into the case had been concluded. He added that Christopher Andekin; Head, Finance and Administration, NFF, Jafaru Mamzah and a cashier with the Finance and Administration department of NFF, Rajan Zaka were indicted and arraigned on October 15, 2018 before Justice P.O. Affem of the Federal Capital Territory High Court, No 19 Maitama Abuja on five criminal charges of conspiracy and criminal breach of trust by a public officer.

The EFCC’s boss further informed Buhari that the commission also received another petition dated April 24, 2016 captioned ‘Monumental stealing and financial crisis in the Nigeria Football Federation’, from James Peters of Amal Pepple Estate, Abuja.

He stated that in the course of investigation, the Minister (Sports) forwarded to the commission, documents in support of the petition revealing sponsorship deals amounting to N1.14bn and $1.55m via his letter No. HMY &SP/003/2018/55 dates August 7, 2018.

Magu said, “Investigation into this petition has so far established that the NFF has sponsorship deals with 21 corporate organisation. The investigation further revealed that between 2008 and 2018, 11 out of the 21 corporate organisations made sponsorship payment of N5,288,990,000 and $1,550,000 to NFF as against the amounted stated in the ministers’ letter under reference above.

“One of the companies appointed as financial consultant to the NFF is owned by the 2nd Vice President of the NFF in person of Alhaji Shehu Dikko. The audit trail of the funds and its utilisation is currently ongoing with a view to prosecuting anyone found culpable of any offence.”

Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

BIG STORY

BREAKING: President Buhari Orders Distribution Of 150 Trucks Of Seized Rice To Nigerians

Avatar

Published

on

President Muhammadu Buhari has ordered the distribution of 150 trucks of rice seized by Nigeria Customs Service (NCS) to the 36 states of the federation.

The Minister of Finance, Budget and National Planning, Mrs. Zainab Ahmed disclosed this while fielding questions from journalists at a news conference in Abuja on Monday.

The news conference was on the fiscal stimulus measures in response to COVID-19 pandemic and oil prices fiscal shock.

Ahmed said the seized trucks of rice had been handed over to the Ministry of Humanitarian Affairs and Disaster Management for onward distributions to Nigerians.

She added that in addition to this, the president had also approved the distribution of grains from strategic grain reserves across the country.

The minister stated that as part of the effort to support the farmers, the president also approved the reduction of the price of fertilizer from N5,500 to N5,000 per bag.

She added that this was another measure to give subsidy to farmers in view of the economic crisis caused by COVID-19 pandemic.

According to her, more measures will be taken to provide broader benefits to citizens.

“We don’t want to rush and announce measures that will end up benefitting only a few of the segments. Our interest is to make sure that as much as possible a lot of Nigerians are productive and have liquidity in their hands.

“This will help to increase the consumption thereby assist to improve the economy.

“This is not something we will announce in a hurry without consulting with the central ministry and also without consulting with the key participants in the sector” she added.

The minister noted that the emerging health and economic risks resulting from the COVID-19 Pandemic and decline in international oil prices posed existential threats to Nigeria’s economy, healthcare system, national security, as well as the lives of the citizens.

She emphasized that extra-ordinary measures would be required, as the situation evolved, to address these challenges.

(NAN)

Continue Reading

BIG STORY

BREAKING: Kano Extends Stay At Home Order By Two Weeks

Gbemileke Ajayi

Published

on

Kano state government has directed civil servants to continue the stay at home order for another two weeks beginning from Tuesday, April 7, 2020.

This is coming after the initial stay at home order expires Monday.

The extension order is a measure to stop the spread of COVID-19.

Read Also; Coronavirus: FCT residents decry sale of fake sanitizers
Governor Umar Ganduje announced this Monday when the 38- man Kano state Fundraising committee submitted its report.

Ganduje, however, commended the civil servants across the state for their unflinching support on the stay at home order.

Continue Reading

BIG STORY

Police Arrest Naira Marley, Set To Be Arraigned For Lockdown Violation

Avatar

Published

on

Controversial music artiste Azeez Fashola, popularly known as Naira Marley, is back again in the custody of the Nigerian security operatives.

He has been arrested by the Nigeria Police following his violation of lockdown order in Lagos.

On Sunday, the singer had been ordered to appear before the Police on Monday following the arrest of the popular Nollywood actress, Funke Akindele, who hosted a house party to mark her husband, JJC Skillz’s birthday in her house in Lagos on Saturday.

The celebrity couple were arraigned and sentenced on Monday at Ogba Chief Magistrates Court in Lagos for violating both Federal and Lagos State directives on COVID-19 lockdown by hosting a party with more than 20 guests in attendance including popular politician, Babatunde Gbadamosi and Naira Marley.

According to DSP Bala Elkana, Police Public Relations Officer, Lagos State Command, on Monday, Naira Marley has been arrested and he will also be charged to Court for violating the restriction orders.

He said the Command has also launched a manhunt for the remaining persons who attended the party.

Elkana stated that the Commissioner of Police Lagos State Command, CP Hakeem Odumosu expressed his profound gratitude to Lagosians and other well-meaning Nigerians that speak up against the violations.

“Together we can stop the spread of COVID-19,” the Lagos PPRO stated in a statement.

Continue Reading

Most Popular