Connect with us

SPORT

Zenith Bank Delta Principals’ Cup 3rd Edition Kicks Off October 31

Avatar

Published

on

The third edition of the Delta State Principals’ Cup being organized for all secondary schools in the State and sponsored by Zenith Bank Plc starts next week.

According to the organizers, the preliminaries of the revived annual ‘catch-them-young’ initiative will kick-off on October 31, 2018.

The competition which was grounded for many years is back courtesy of sponsorship by Zenith Bank Plc and over 1,200 private secondary schools and 446 public government secondary schools in the state are competing in this edition.

On November 1, 2018, the preliminaries will start in all 25 Local Governments of Delta State and registered schools would compete to emerge the group stage representative from their Local Government Areas.

Commissioner for Basic and Secondary Education in Delta State, Mr. Chiedu Ebie, is expected to play a supervisory role to ensure the smooth running of the competition, which is very dear to the heart of Governor Ifeanyi Okowa.

Group Managing Director of Zenith Bank Plc, Mr. Peter Amangbo, has assured that this year’s competition would be an improvement on the last edition.

Amangbo also stated that Zenith Bank was always elated to contribute to the development of Nigerians youths by supporting various endeavors across the country.

“This is a youth football competition, but our impact goes beyond just football. We are also involved in other sports in a bid to continually identify talents for the country, while also engaging Nigerian youths positively in their various areas of competence”.

“We are going to make this edition better because improvements must be recorded as we move on. So far, we are proud of this partnership with the Delta State Government and we expect all the participants to enjoy themselves.” Amangbo said.

A media conference to start the competition is scheduled to take place on Monday, October 29th, 2018 at Asaba, Delta State.

SPORT

We Will Build Traditional Wrestling ‘Dambe’ Into A National Sport —- Minister

Avatar

Published

on

The Minister of Youth and Sports Development Mr. Sunday Dare, on Tuesday, received members of the Dambe (traditional wrestling) association in Abuja.

The Minister promised to restructure Dambe in order for it to compete favourably with other sports while commending the founders of the Dambe association for taking the sport to other parts of the country.

The Minister who had addressed the fighters in the Hausa language before speaking collectively to the delegation, said, “I grew up in the northern part of the country and Dambe was predominantly a northern sport for fun. I commend you for making something out of nothing. You have taken the sport to other parts of the country and that is highly commendable”.

The Minister who expressed delight that the founders of the association are young people, said, “this is what we want to see. To see youth who use their brains, hands and innovative minds to do something for themselves and the country as a whole. What you have done is very encouraging and we are going to leverage on what you have done as co-founders”.

“You need to create a domestic league of Dambe fighters and make it more competitive in nature”, he urged.

“Dambe gives us another opportunity to keep the youth busy and take them off crime because it engages their mind and makes them productive”.

He also assured that Dambe would be brought into the fold of traditional sports so as to create structure and bring added benefits to it. He said, “Now we have an opportunity to invest in our youth through Dambe fight. We will bring Dambe into the fold of traditional sports. 25million views mean there is a global recognition and following. We also need to create localized competition and state-level competition. We need to bring that back into the country. We need to put an institution behind it. What is needed is government support”.

“From today, I have become an advocate of Dambe” he assured.

Continue Reading

SPORT

BREAKING: Arsenal Sacks Unai Emery After 18 Months

Gbemileke Ajayi

Published

on

Arsenal has sacked head coach Unai Emery.

The 48-year-old has left the club following Arsenal’s worst run of form since 1992 with the Gunners winless in seven games and eight points off the top four in the Premier League.

Freddie Ljungberg will lead Arsenal for Sunday’s game away to Norwich City.

A 2-1 defeat to Eintracht Frankfurt in the Europa League proved to be the final straw for the Arsenal hierarchy, who had hoped to be able to wait until the end of the season before making a decision on Emery’s future.

The Spaniard faced mounting criticism for fans not just for results but for a style of play at Arsenal that was viewed by many as too conservative.

Speaking on behalf of the Arsenal board and owners Kroenke Sports & Entertainment, Josh Kroenke said: “Our most sincere thanks go to Unai and his colleagues who were unrelenting in their efforts to get the club back to competing at the level we all expect and demand. We wish Unai and his team nothing but future success.”

In his only full season in charge, Emery led Arsenal to fifth place in the Premier League, a run of two wins in their final seven games seeing them throw away a top-four finish and a Europa League final where defeat to Chelsea cost them Champions League qualification.

Returning to Europe’s top competition is a major priority for Arsenal both in terms of finances and prestige. It was felt that the club’s chances of qualifying were greater without Emery than with him.

Arsenal will be appointing just their third manager in 23 years with the likes of Mikel Arteta and Massimiliano Allegri expected to be under consideration for the role.

Continue Reading

SPORT

Mourinho Meets Arsenal Chief, Set To Replace Embattled Gunners Manager Emery

Avatar

Published

on

Arsenal is reportedly close to making their move to replace manager Unai Emery with former Chelsea boss, Mourinho.

Arsenal head of football, Raul Sanllehi dined with Jose Mourinho this week as the club considers pulling the trigger with a managerial change, according to The Times.

The Gunners have struggled to make progress under Unai Emery and growing concerns over fractures in his relationships with senior players have led to contingency plans being put in place.

According to the newspaper, Mourinho and Sanllehi had dinner together, with the former Manchester United boss said to have impressed with his plans for their squad.

It is claimed Emery has just one or two games remaining to save his job as club bosses seriously consider a move ahead of the November international break.

Arsenal were held to a 1-1 draw at the Emirate by Wolves on Saturday, with pressure mounting on Emery.

Mourinho has been holding out for a return to the Premier League as he eyes his first job since being sacked at Old Trafford almost a year ago.

The former Real Madrid boss have also retained a home in north London.

Continue Reading

Most Popular