Connect with us

/">

BIG STORY

Nigerians’ll Choose Between Lifeless Candidate And Job Provider In 2019 —- Atiku

Avatar

Published

on

The Peoples Democratic Party presidential candidate in the February 14, 2019 election, Atiku Abubakar, has said his emergence has brought confusion to the camp of his All Progressives Congress counterpart, President Muhammadu Buhari.

He said this was the reason why the Buhari’s camp felt that he (the former Vice-President) won the PDP ticket as a result of money politics.

Atiku said with his emergence as the PDP standard bearer in the 2019 presidential election, Nigerians would choose between him “a job provider” and Buhari whom he described as a “lifeless candidate.”

But the APC described the former Vice-President as “a desperate, corrupt and an unreliable politician” who it alleged had entrenched the anti-democratic practice of offering cash in exchange for votes.

However, a statement by Atiku’s media office in Abuja on Monday said that the Buhari camp must have known that the era of favouritism had come to end in the country.

The statement said, “We are not surprised that there is confusion in the President’s camp. We expected that they would be thrown into a catatonic state knowing that Atiku Abubabakr’s emergence automatically means the coming to an end of their ignominious reign.

“That much was admitted by the President’s former running mate, Pastor Tunde Bakare, when he praised the emergence of Atiku as an ‘eagle’ and ‘a cosmopolitan wazobia’ politician.

“Obviously, Pastor Tunde Bakare has foreseen that the era of 97 per cent versus five per cent has come to an end with the emergence of the pan-Nigerian Atiku Abubakar.”

Atiku, in the statement, said that the wife of the President had even condemned the primaries of the ruling party, wondering if anyone could have known the APC more than her.

The statement said, “We ask, how can the Buhari Campaign Organisation disparage the PDP primary that produced Atiku, when even the President’s own wife, Aisha Buhari, has condemned the APC’s primary?

“Not only did Mrs Buhari condemn the APC’s primaries, but she also described them as ‘unfair’ and lacking in integrity. Who can know President Buhari better than his wife?”

In the statement, Atiku said there were other 11 aspirants that contested against him, adding that all of them had accepted his victory.

Buhari, who he said was the sole candidate of his party, was already being challenged by other five aggrieved interested aspirants.

He said, “11 aspirants contested against Atiku, during the presidential primary of the PDP. Every single one of them accepted his victory.

“President Buhari was the only candidate cleared by the APC to contest its primary. Yet, a coalition of five aspirants is challenging his victory. That alone tells Nigerians his emergence is fraudulent.”

Atiku, who debunked the allegation of corruption against him, said as the most investigated politician in Nigeria, the President would have arrested him because of his (Buhari’s) vindictive nature.

He stated, “Nigerians know that Atiku Abubakar is the most investigated politician in Nigeria and any smear by the Buhari administration remains just that.

“With the vindictiveness of President Buhari, he would have arrested Atiku if he had been found wanting.

“However, to set the record straight, we want to remind Nigerians that the PDP’s primaries were genuine, free and fair. Atiku Abubakar got 1,532 votes in a contest televised live to millions of Nigerians. The APC’s primary, on the other hand, was a study in dictatorship and corruption. The sole candidate, Muhammadu Buhari, scored almost 15 million votes. How could that occur without rigging or manufacturing of faceless voters?

“No wonder Transparency International rated Nigeria as more corrupt today under Buhari, than just three years ago when the PDP was in power.

“The scandals are too numerous, including the $25bn NNPC contracts awarded without due process, the several padded budgets, the $41m Ikoyi Apartment scandal, the recall, reinstatement and double promotion of an alleged pension thief and Buhari financier, Abdulrasheed Maina, the N200m grass cutting scandal, and many others too numerous to mention.”

The former Vice-President said that in 2019, Nigerians would choose between what he called a lifeless candidate and a job provider.

He said, “The choice before Nigerians in 2019 is a simple one. Nigerians have a choice of electing a lively candidate with a record of providing 50,000 jobs to Nigerians in his private capacity versus the lifelessness (apologies to President Donald Trump) of a candidate under whom Nigeria lost 11 million jobs and became the world headquarters for extreme poverty.

“Nigerians have a choice of a man who will provide an efficient and business-friendly solution to the herdsmen crisis and a man whose government said ‘giving land for cattle ranching is better than death.’

“It is very obvious that faced with such a choice, Nigerians would definitely vote for the man who will Get Nigeria Working Again, hence we are not surprised by this desperate statement from the Buhari administration that is so shameless that they made a man implicated in framing a man of God on spurious charges as their spokesman.

“If he can lie against a man of God, should Nigerians believe anything he says about the PDP and its candidate? “

BIG STORY

Eid Mawlid: FG Declares Thursday As Public Holiday

Gbemileke Ajayi

Published

on

The Federal Government has declared Thursday, October 29, as a public holiday to celebrate this year’s Eid Mawlid.

Eid Mawlid is the celebration of the birth of Prophet Muhammad (Peace be upon him).

The Minister of Interior Rauf Aregbesola announced this in a press statement released by Mohammed Manga, Director (Press & Public Relations).

The minister urged Muslims to “imbibe the spirit of love, patience, and perseverance which are the virtues of the Holy Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him).”

He also urged all Nigerians to use democratic means to tackle some of the issues confronting the country.

Continue Reading

BIG STORY

Nigerian Govt Announces Committee To Address Job Creation, National Security As Nationwide Rampage Continues

Avatar

Published

on

The National Executive Council (NEC) has set up a committee charged with addressing unemployment and national security in the country.

This was part of the council’s resolutions at its meeting on Monday, vice-president Yemi Osinbajo’s publicist, Laolu Akande, said in a mail sent to media houses Tuesday.

The decision was taken on the backdrop of issues triggered by the weeks-long #EndSARS protests where young Nigerians sought an end to police brutality before it was hijacked by hoodlums who have caused chaos across the country in the past week.

Headed by the vice-president, the committee has the governors of Sokoto, Borno State, Niger, Ondo, Ebonyi, Delta States as members.

The committee, Mr. Akande said, is expected to engage “relevant stakeholders” to chart a way forward on “employment, social safety net programmes, and national unity among other key issues of concern” for the country.

This, he said will be done alongside engaging with security agencies, including at the state level, “to provide compensation for those who have incurred losses in the last few weeks and a framework for social security to deal with the problem of unemployment and poverty in the country.”

Four in 10 Nigerians are poor and the country’s unemployment rate rose to 27.1% in the second quarter of 2020, according to the National Bureau of Statistics.

“The council observed the low morale of security operatives during the period and members resolved to commend the Nigeria police and all the security agencies for their handling of what is clearly an unprecedented problem,” Mr Akande said in his statement.

“NEC also supported President Muhammadu Buhari’s commitment to a complete overhaul of the country’s security services by improving the capacity of security officers across the rank and file while providing them with the necessary equipment to carry out their jobs effectively,” he added.

Since the protest for police reform turned violent last week, the has country has experienced series of destruction, large-scale looting of public and private warehouses, and loss of lives, including those of security officials.

To this end, Mr Akande said NEC urged the CACOVID leadership, a private initiative committed to given palliatives to Nigerians to cushion the effects of the COVID-19 pandemic, “to come out with an independent statement on the status of the distribution of palliatives donated to States which should clearly explain the circumstances behind the delay in the distribution of food items domiciled in warehouses across the country.”

“Council reviewed the activities of the Indigenous People of Biafra (IPOB) and other secessionist groups, stressing that these subterranean and violent tendencies must be quickly addressed given that they have continually hijacked demonstrations and caused mayhem and lawlessness across parts of the country.

“Council decried the irresponsible use of social media in fueling misinformation and increasing social tensions,” Mr Akande noted.

Continue Reading

BIG STORY

BREAKING: Sanwo-Olu Approves Full Reopening Of Markets In Lagos

Avatar

Published

on

The Lagos State Governor, Babajide Sanwo-Olu, has approved the full reopening of markets in the state.

The Lagos Commissioner for Local Government and Community Affairs, Dr Wale Ahmed, made this known in a statement on Tuesday.

The statement made available by the governor’s Senior Special Assistant on New Media, Gawat Jubril, noted that both food markets and non-food markets can reopen every day of the week.

Before the announcement, food and non-food markets were allowed to operate three days in a week – Monday, Wednesday, and Friday.

The state government had regulated the opening of the markets to curb the spread of COVID-19 in the state.

The statement read in part, “The Lagos State Governor, Mr Babajide Sanwo-Olu, has approved the full resumption of operations of both food markets and non-food markets.

“They are now to open daily.

“Mr Governor took the decision to further enhance trade and commerce and mitigate the hardship of recent times and ensure that Lagosians can recover fast.

“Mr Governor also advised the continued observance of all safety protocols.

“Traders and their customers must adhere strictly to the covid 19 protocols for their safety and the citizenry at large.”

Nigeria Centre for Disease Control, on Monday, announced that the country recorded 119 new cases of COVID-19, bringing the total number of infections in Nigeria to 62,111.

Continue Reading




JoIn Us On Facebook


Live COVID-19 statistics for
World
Confirmed
43,477,005
Recovered
29,192,739
Deaths
1,159,319
Last updated: 4 minutes ago






Most Popular

COVID-19 LIVE UPDATE

BE SAFE, STAY AT HOME