The Chief of Army Staff (COAS), Lt-Gen. Tukur Buratai, has disclosed that the Nigerian Army would soon deployed its personnel to various parts of the country to contain ongoing threat to security in the country.
He said the troops would be deployed under Special Forces, such as Operation Python Dance III in the Southeast, Operation Crocodile Smile III in the Niger Delta and Southwest and Harbin Kunama III in the North to contend cattle rustling in that part of the country.
Buratai spoke in Abuja, yesterday, after leading officers and men on an annual 15-kilometre route match that culminated at the Mogadishu Cantonment in the city, tasked officers and men to be on alert, as they could be deployed any moment there was any need for that.
He reiterated that some officers and men could be deployed at short notice to assist what he called “civil authorities” to contend insecurity in any part of the country and charged them to be prepared for the task.
The army chief could not, however, give a clear picture on whether the troops would carry out similar exercise in Benue, Taraba and Nasarawa states, following incessant herdsmen/farmers clashes in those states, which have resulted in several killings.
He said: “Well, we are not thinking of any particular situation; we are going to train on general areas, which could include that aspect as well.
“But our focus will be to ensure that security is provided across the country.
“So, definitely, expect Harbin Kunama III, Crocodile Smile III and Egwu Eke Dance III and probably another exercise coming, which will be made known at the appropriately time.”
Operation Python Dance I & II, Operation Harbin Kunama I and II were among others conducted in 2016 and last year, respectively, to deal with the menace of cattle rustling and herdsmen/farmers clashes in parts of Northwest and North-Central, while Crocodile Smile and Egwu Eke Dance were conducted in the Niger Delta and the Southeast, respectively, last year to tackle pipeline vandalism, oil theft and piracy, violent agitation and kidnapping.
Communications Minister Orders Deactivation Of Voicemails On Existing Phone Lines, Says Network Operators Exploiting Nigerians
Minister of Communications and Digital Economy, Dr Isa Pantami, has ordered the deactivation of voicemail services on all existing phone lines in the country.
The minister said Mobile Network Operators are using the automatic activation of the voicemail service on their platforms to exploit Nigerians.
Pantami, who spoke through a statement issued by his spokesperson, Uwa Suleiman, on Thursday, directed the sector regulator, the Nigeria Communications Commission, to immediately ensure that the service providers complied with the order.
The directive was a continuation of the minister’s ongoing campaign against perceived exploitative practices by the telecom operators.
Recently, he directed the NCC to stop alleged ‘illegal’ deduction of subscribers’ data by the service providers.
NCC has also been directed to ensure a reduction of the rates charged for data by telecom operators in the country.
In the statement signed by Suleiman, the minister noted that the voicemail service should be voluntary, and not imposed on consumers.
He directed NCC to ensure that subscribers are given the option of accessing the service via an activation code.
According to the minister, unpatriotic elements in the sector have devised subtle ways to defraud unsuspecting Nigerians.
Parts of the statement read, “The attention of the Minister of Communications and Digital Economy has been drawn to the latest trend of financial exploitation by Mobile Network Operators in the country, through the automatic activation of the Voicemail Service on their platforms.
“Based on recent reports reaching the office, the practice has gained momentum in recent times.
“The voicemail service should be accessed at the discretion of the subscriber and not by default.
“The minister finds it worrisome and totally unacceptable that telecoms subscribers incur financial charges for a service they are compelled to use by default.
“It is apparent that the recent clampdown on the exploitative activities of some Mobile Network Operators in the country has beamed the searchlight on the sector properly and some unpatriotic elements in the system are devising subtle, ingenious methods of defrauding Nigerians.”
The minister, in the statement, further observed that voicemail was not a popular service among mobile phone users in Nigeria.
Most consumers, particularly those in rural areas, do not understand the language used by the operators to program the service, the statement added.
The statement explained that Pantami vowed that the ministry, under his leadership, would not overlook any attempt to undermine the Federal Government’s anti-corruption crusade.
Pantami added that he would not condone any attempts to defraud subscribers in the country.
“In the light of this, Pantami has issued a broad policy directive to the Nigerian Communications Commission to immediately ensure that issues regarding automatic voicemails are addressed on all existing phone lines and the subscribers given the option of accessing the service via an activation code,” the statement said.
The minister, according to the statement, insisted that the rights of consumers must be protected, in line with global best practices.
BREAKING: We’ll Regulate Social Media Despite Criticism —- FG
There is no going back on the planned sanitation of the social media space, the Federal Government insisted on Thursday.
Minister of Information and Culture Lai Mohammed stated this in Abuja during an audience with online publishers.
He declared no amount of criticism will deter the government from going ahead with the proposed measure.
He insisted it was the right thing to do as Nigeria was not alone in this regard.
Rape Allegation: Busola Dakolo Vows To Appeal Court Judgement
Popular celebrity photographer Busola Dakolo has vowed to appeal the ruling of Justice O. A. Musa of the Federal Capital Territory High Court in Abuja dismissing her rape allegation against Pastor Biodun Fatoyinbo of Commonwealth of Zion Assembly (COZA).
Her lawyer, Pelumi Olajengbesi, declared this in a statement.
He said: “We have received several calls after the ruling of the high court of the Federal Capital Territory sitting at Bwari this morning seeking our view on the decision of the court, hence, this statement.
“The court ruled that the matter is statute-barred because the events that crystallized to the cause of action took place 16 years ago and that the claimant Mrs. Busola Dakolo has only six years within which to seek redress in court in line with the statute of limitation.
“We are mindful of the decision as delivered by the court, presided over by the Hon. Justice A.O Musa.
“We are equally observant of the fact that the Court omitted to address the cause of action, the subject matter of the suit in determining whether it has jurisdiction to entertain the said matter.
“While we acknowledge the time of the court, we know in accordance with the Nigerian judicial system that the Court’s decision is not final as it is glaringly contestable.
Read Also; Court dismisses Busola Dakolo’s case against Fatoyinbo
“For all intent and purposes, having seen several sponsored misleading news reports in the media, we are duty-bound to state that the court has not and did not exonerate Biodun Fatoyinbo. As it stands, the substance of the matter has not received any judicial attention.
“Biodun Fatoyinbo through his lawyers has only argued that the court should not allow the matter to proceed to trial because it is an event that occurred long ago and hence out of time.
“We shall therefore in this circumstance approach a superior court to intervene for a better appreciation, and take a more expansive view of the suit considering that the subject matter is one that is novel in our clime.”
BIG STORY6 hours ago
BREAKING: Court Throws Out Busola Dakolo’s Rape Case Against Fatoyinbo, Says Its A Waste Of Time, Orders Busola To Pay N1m
ENTERTAINMENT7 hours ago
BREAKING: BON Awards 2019, 2020 Hosts Announced!
BIG STORY1 day ago
BREAKING: Senate Approves N10bn Loan For Kogi Three Days To Gubernatorial Elections
BIG STORY1 day ago
BREAKING: Convene NEC Meeting Or Resign Now, APC Governors Tell Oshiomhole
BIG STORY13 hours ago
LASU Undergraduate, Five Aiye Cult Members Shoot Man In His Manhood
BIG STORY1 day ago
BREAKING: APC Factions ‘Suspend’ Oshiomhole, Obaseki, Others