Connect with us

/">

BIG STORY

JUST IN: Oil Workers Deny Meeting With FG, Begin Strike.

Avatar

Published

on

Oil-Workers

The Petroleum and Natural Gas Senior Staff Association of Nigeria (PENGASSAN) yesterday said it did not hold any meeting with representatives of the federal government over its planned national strike, saying the industrial action will go ahead.

PENGASSAN stated in Abuja that no meeting was held yesterday between it and the government at the instance of the Ministries of Petroleum Resources and Labour and Employment as announced the day before by the government.

It said there was no way it could get all its executive members to attend the planned meeting summoned by the government in Abuja because it was a public holiday yesterday.

In a bid to avert the strike by oil workers, the government on Wednesday stated that it had scheduled a meeting with the oil workers in the boardroom of the Minister of Petroleum Resources located on the 11th floor of headquarters of the Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation (NNPC).

The meeting, according to the Deputy Director, Press and Public Relations in the Ministry of Labour and Employment, Samuel Olowookere, was to discuss the modalities for ending the lingering crisis in the petroleum sector.

But enquiries at the petroleum ministry showed that no meeting took place.

Sources including security officials at the ministry told THISDAY that they were unaware of the meeting and had nothing in their logbook for expected visitors of either NNPC or the ministry.

One of the security sources at the NNPC said: “If there is any meeting here today we will be told and the details of those to attend will be sent to us in order to ease clearance, but nothing of such was given.

“So there is no meeting whatsoever happening here today. If there is any, then it is not here.”

Public Relations Officer of PENGASSAN, Mr. Emmanuel Ojugbana, told THISDAY correspondent on the phone that the planned strike had commenced.

He said the impact of the strike was still minimal on the nation’s economy because of the public holiday, adding that when work resumes, the impact of the strike will be felt if nothing is done by government.

On the meeting convened by the government, Ojugbana said: “As far as I’m concerned there is no meeting with government.

“How can they send us a mail for a meeting that is meant to hold on Thursday morning on Wednesday evening? And mind you, they know that our executive members are not all in Abuja, our executive members are scattered across the country and couldn’t have convened today for the meeting.

“Anyway, the strike will be fully felt once work resumes and as for the meeting, I can confirm to you that there is no ongoing meeting between us and government.”

However, in another statement later yesterday, the labour ministry said the meeting with oil workers had been rescheduled to take place today.

It said the shift in date was in consideration of the season and the national holiday, reported the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN).

“The Minister of Labour and Employment, Dr. Chris Ngige, and the Minister of State for Petroleum, Dr. Ibe Kachikwu, will now hold the crucial meeting with PENGASSAN leadership on Friday to find a lasting solution to the lingering problems affecting the oil and gas sector.

“The meeting will hold at the Minister’s Board Room, 11th floor, Ministry of Petroleum Resources, NNPC Towers, Abuja starting at 10 a.m,’’ it said.

The ministers, in the statement, appealed to the leadership of PENGASSAN to stay action on its strike in view of the ongoing negotiations and in the spirit of social dialogue.

 

 

THISDAY

BIG STORY

BREAKING: Buhari Breaks Silence On Lekki Shootings, Pledges Justice For Dead Protesters

Avatar

Published

on

Almost a week after, President Muhammadu Buhari has broken his silence on the shooting of #ENDSARS protesters in Lekki, Lagos by suspected security operatives.

He vowed to ensure justice for “peaceful protesters who lost their lives.”

The President, in a statement by his Senior Special Assistant on Media and Publicity, Garba Shehu, explained he decided not to talk on the shooting incident until he had access to all the facts.

He also promised property owners and business owners affected by the arson across the nation would get justice.

Buhari, according to the statement, said:

The statement said: “As the Judicial panel of inquiry set up by the Lagos State Government, one of the more dozen states to do so, starts sitting on Monday, President Muhammadu Buhari has expressed his full support and optimism that it will assist the nation to give justice to peaceful protesters who lost their lives, security men who were murdered and property owners whose assets were vandalized and looted.

“The President, who said he had all along avoided going into a debate about the Lekki Toll Gate incidents until all the facts are established, appealed to the people all over the country to maintain peace and brotherhood as the machinery of the government and the wheel of justice turn against the perpetrators of murder, arson, stealing, rape, assault and malicious damage to public and private property.

“President Buhari reiterated his appeal for calm, brotherhood and communal harmony, telling Nigerians not to turn on each other in hate as according to him, peace, brotherhood, and inter-communal harmony are central to the nation’s ethos.

“He said it is important that the police and other security agencies move everywhere to restore calm and normalcy as quickly as possible.”

The statement added: “A government that has launched a massive crackdown on corruption, brought in strong laws for a decisive battle against corruption, pursues loot recovery at home and abroad, and taken strong decisions against those who thought they were above the law, will not fold its arms when an otherwise legitimate and peaceful protest is turning into free-for-all vandalism and looting.

“While the administration has, for its part, blocked so many means of looting public money in a war against corruption, it is the expectation that all civil authorities, community and religious leaders in the country must rise against the organized looting and plunder we are witnessing in parts of the country.”

The President admonished families to reject items looted and brought home by their children.

He stated: “Families must turn back children who bring home unaccounted goods, in the same way wives must ask their husbands to return looted items brought home.

“What is more, is that criminal actions as we have so far witnessed can weaken and erode the confidence of our people and that of foreign businesses in investing in the economy.

“Looting and vandalism will hurt trade and investment growth in our country, both large and small industries, as well as our hardworking people in the informal sectors of the economy.

“These incidents do not reflect well on any society. They are wrong and condemnable and should not be supported by reasonable members of the society.”

Continue Reading

BIG STORY

#EndSARS: A Wakeup Call For Nigerian Media (The Fourth Estate Or Fourth Power Of The Realm) —- Blaise Udunze

Peter Okunoren

Published

on

I woke up this morning after my morning devotion; I dabbled into a mind-boggling report on my WhatsApp platform.

I told myself: The TRUTH be told, what are the roles of the MEDIA obligated and bestowed with the sole ethical responsibilities of being the watchdog of the society; must have PLAYED in the long-aged corruptions that have infested and given birth to loss of lives, heinous carnage, wanton destruction of our personal and national wealth over the years in Nigeria???!!!

After reading through this long revealing poetic but mind-boggling report on my WhatsApp platform, calls for concerns.

I was forced to cull the below excerpts of the old historic but recent report and adaptation of the events that pluck up and pull down many great African countries today.

“…Nigeria is fast ascending to the very path that Freetown took. The path that ruined Congo and Libya. The expressway to Rwanda, that is the path Nigeria is fast speeding into. Yet, this path is not a new path to us. It’s a familiar terrain that we have taken before. In 1966, long before even the Rwandan path was paved. We wasted over 3 million people as hundreds of innocent souls were slaughtered before even the war started.

 Long before the Rwandan path was paved, religious differences and ethnic intolerance as being repeated today led to a civil war that took our best, took our leaders, took innocent souls, and took us backward.

The backwardness is still hunting and hurting us till day. And, it’s the wounds of the war that was not treated in a round table talk, talk, that is leading to another war. Yet, the leader of the nation insists that he’s comfortable exactly the way things are.

 So, it’s either history is unfair to us or our leaders are blind to it. Indeed, death meant to kill a dog does not allow her to smell faeces. And, as the saying goes, those who do not understand history are bound to repeat it.

 Even if we hadn’t experienced a civil war before, what happened in Free Town, Monrovia, Abidjan in recent history ought to have taught us a lesson. The way Tripoli was turned from a fast developing city into a slave town where warlords reign should serve as a lesson.

 But no, we learnt nothing. Just “over” 50 years after, when those that played a major role in the last civil war are still alive, here the snowball of war goes rolling down from the snow mountain of stupid arrogance, gathering with it all the ethnic intolerance and religious divide that paved the path of Rwandan.”

 

Now, the key QUESTIONS:

1.      What roles will the Nigerian MEDIA (the Fourth Estate or Fourth Power of the Realm) are known for to have played in the history of NIGERIA OF TODAY & NIGERIA OF THE FUTURE?

2.      How can the MEDIA forthwith contribute greatly and use as tools for unbiased dispersion of information to show the dark side of every human lives and distribute truth?

Posterity will surely catch up with every genuine and qualified professional in this world of journalism, hence whilst, there is an urgent need and call to create that sense of balance and transparency in our society, in Nigeria.

I can’t say it all here. We all know the role of the Rwandan Media in the historic 1994 genocide amongst the Hutu and Tutsi of the Republic of Rwanda.

Amongst others, #ENDSAR Protest would pass as a litmus test for the Nigerian Media if they truly stand for the TRUTH and want to be identified for SHAPING PUBLIC OPINIONS/REACTIONS for PEACEFUL and PROGRESSIVE NATION.

 

LET’S CHANGE THE NARRATIVES, AS A FORCE FOR PEACE, BE THE AGENT OF SOCIETAL CHANGE; AS THE WATCHDOG OF OUR SOCIETY, OUR OWN COUNTRY!!!

 

—BLAISE UDUNZE

Continue Reading

BIG STORY

Looting Spree: Why I Stored Oyo Central Constituency Project Items In My House —- Senator Folarin

Avatar

Published

on

A Nigerian senator has explained that some of the items stolen from his house were bought with public funds by a government agency which handed it over to him for distribution.

Teslim Folarin, who represents Oyo Central in the Senate, said he had just ‘formally taken receipt’ of the items from the agency, which he did not name.

“For the sake of clarification, I have just formally taken receipt of the empowerment materials from a federal agency coordinating constituency projects for federal lawmakers,” the lawmaker said in his reaction to the looting of the property which he said included hundreds of generators, motorcycles and deep freezers.

Mr Folarin’s admittance brings to fore the discussion around constituency projects which many Nigerians including an anti-corruption agency, ICPC, believe is sometimes used for fraud.

Lawmakers insert the constituency projects in a federal budget proposed by the Nigerian president. They also ensure the projects are inserted in the budgets of cooperating federal agencies. Often times, the lawmakers are also believed to nominate contractors who execute these projects.

The looting of Mr Folarin’s house is among several others across the country where hoodlums have taken advantage of the #EndSARS protest for police reform, to invade the private and public property. Similar incidents have occurred in Lagos, Osun, Kwara, Adamawa, Plateau and other states.

In his statement on Sunday, Mr Folarin, who chairs the senate committee on local content, said those who invaded his house were not #EndSARS protesters but ‘coordinated hoodlums.’

The senator, in a statement signed by his special adviser on media and publicity, Yekeen Olaniyi, described the attack as “evil, barbaric and unfortunate.”

He commended the security agencies for their prompt response to the incident.

He added that he was surprised that some people are using #EndSARS protests to loot people’s property.

“The perpetrators of the invasion and looting were not #EndSARS protesters but coordinated hoodlums. They even broke down doors to rooms in the house to steal valuable assets. It was a pure daylight robbery.

“The actions of the hoodlums are condemnable and it is very disheartening that some bad elements in our society are hiding under the guise of #EndSARS protests to loot and disrupt the peaceful atmosphere in Nigeria.

“I thank God we did not record any fatality, despite the violent invasion of my Oluyole house, looted materials and vandalisation therein.”

The lawmaker then explained the source of the looted materials.

“For the sake of clarification, I have just formally taken receipt of the empowerment materials from a federal agency coordinating constituency projects for federal lawmakers. Also, I used my personal money to procure additional materials. I took stock of the materials ahead of a mega empowerment programme scheduled to hold in November 2020.

“Apart from the mega empowerment programme, I plan to commission projects spread across Oyo Central Senatorial District. Looted materials included over 350 motorcycles, 400 deep freezers, 350 generators, grinding machines, sewing machines, hairdressing and barbing salon materials, vulcanising machines and many more.

“As a leader and people’s representative, I have never and will never take our people for granted. Let it be noted that at the peak of COVID-19 pandemic, I was the first political officer holder in Oyo State to support war against the deadly novel virus. On four occasions and on personal expenses, I did not only sponsor enlightenment programmes but also distributed palliatives to my constituents in Oyo Central Senatorial District.

“In fact, I extended my widow’s mite to thousands of our vulnerable citizens in Oyo South Senatorial district. Some weeks ago, I reached out to a few private school teachers who were affected by economic hardships, occasioned by the pandemic.

“I sincerely commend the civil and professional conducts of security personnel drafted to my house. They were tactical in their operations as no harm was done to the few people that were arrested with looted materials.

“For whatever that happened, I shall not be discouraged to continue to give excellent service delivery to the people of my district, Oyo State and Nigeria at large.

“I solemnly appreciate the support and sympathies of media houses, prominent Nigerians in Oyo State and across Nigeria, traditional rulers, religious leaders, groups and chieftains of our great party, the All Progressives Congress.”

Continue Reading




JoIn Us On Facebook


Live COVID-19 statistics for
World
Confirmed
42,606,048
Recovered
28,756,841
Deaths
1,149,702
Last updated: 1 minute ago






Most Popular

COVID-19 LIVE UPDATE

BE SAFE, STAY AT HOME