Connect with us


/">

SPORT

‘Desperate’ Giwa Forces Way Into NFF Abuja Office, Arrested

Avatar

Published

on

 

Chris Giwa

The crises rocking the Nigeria Football Federation (NFF), took a dramatic turn yesterday, as ‘factional’ leader, Chris Giwa, allegedly forced his way into the secretariat of the football house in Abuja. He was said to be arrested by security operatives shortly after.

The crisis had began last month shortly after the Super Eagles lost to Egypt to crash out of the 2017 AFCON, when a federal high court in Jos, Plateau State sacked the Executive Committee of the NFF led by Amaju Pinnick and ordered Giwa to take over the leadership of Nigerian football.

Justice Musa Haruna Kurya had granted the prayers of Yahaya Adama and Obinna Ogba to not only relist the suit in the tussle of the leadership of the NFF, but also upheld all the previous orders of the court, making Giwa the head of the federation until the final determination of the suit. The NFF immediately appealed against the ruling.

It was learnt that a ‘desperate’ Giwa, who arrived at the football secretariat at about 4 p.m., in company of some of his board members, exchanged pleasantries with some secretariat staff while inspecting the offices.

He, however, did not have access to the offices of the NFF President, the General Secretary and the Accountant as they were locked.

Giwa told newsmen after the inspection that he was at the football secretariat to assert the order of the court, which installed him as the president of NFF.

“My coming here is to confirm the ruling of the court that we got on April 8, 2016. It has been in the news, getting to one month today, that we got a ruling from the High Court in Jos restoring all the orders granted to us sometimes in 2014 after we relisted the case.

“The ruling gave me the permit and the right to be here today. I didn’t come in here with police; as you are aware, policemen have been here to do their duty of guarding the premises.“By the grace of God, by Monday I am going to address the press here (NFF secretariat)”, Giwa said.

The News Agency of Nigeria (NAN), reports that security men at the Federal Road Safety Corps (FRSC), Zone 7, locked the gate to the NFF and FRSC.

The action prevented movement of people in and out of the premises for about 20 minutes before the arrival of the Divisional Police Officer (DPO), of Wuse Zone 3 police station, Sunday Irek.

Irek, a Chief Superintendent of Police (CSP), who arrived with detachment from his unit, entered Giwa’s Sport Utility Vehicle (SUV), which took off.

The DPO had earlier deployed men to guard the NFF shortly after the court ruling on April 8. He said then that he was acting on orders from above.

It would be recalled that two years ago, Giwa claimed he had been elected president of the NFF, but world football governing body (FIFA) did not endorse the vote. His appeal was also thrown out by the Court of Arbitration for Sports (CAS).

Lawyer to the NFF, Festus Keyamo, had earlier asked the Inspector General of Police, Solomon Arase, to arrest and prosecute Chris Giwa for claiming to be the duly elected president of the NFF.

Keyamo said then that there was no court order anywhere mandating the said Chris Giwa to take over any office or duties of the NFF.

Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

SPORT

BREAKING: Man United Legend Wayne Rooney Appointed Derby Coach

Peter Okunoren

Published

on

Wayne Rooney has been appointed as Derby’s coach on a permanent basis, the Championship club announced on Friday.

Derby County confirmed the 35-year-old former Manchester United and England forward had agreed to a permanent deal until 2023, having succeeded Phillip Cocu on an interim basis in November.

The club statement confirmed that in accepting the manager’s role, Rooney had “elected to call time on his illustrious playing career to fully focus on his job”.

Details later…

Continue Reading

SPORT

Anthony Joshua Reveals Retirement Date

Peter Okunoren

Published

on

Anthony Joshua admits he is “coming towards the end of my career” and has hinted that he will have a maximum of “five years left” in the sport before retiring.

The 31-year-old world heavyweight champion could be approaching the most significant period of his career, with ongoing negotiations about two massive unification fights against Tyson Fury in 2021.

Since making his pro debut in 2013, Joshua has become a two-time champion, having regained his WBA, IBF, and WBO titles in a 2019 rematch with Andy Ruiz Jr before defending them with a knockout win over Kubrat Pulev last month.

“This isn’t the start of my career. I’m coming towards the end of my career,” Joshua told Sky Sports News.

“I’m not someone who lives in the moment and thinks that everything is just like for now. I’m always planning ahead so I’m coming towards the end of my career.

“Five years left and that’s basically an Olympic cycle. I’ve got an Olympic cycle and a little bit more left, so when you see the next Olympics happen is when I’ll be coming to the end of my career and the next generation will be coming through.”

Fury turned professional in 2008, nearly five years before Joshua, who recently suggested that his British rival should also be thinking about hanging up his gloves.

“Fury has been professional much longer than me. He should be looking to retire soon,” Joshua had told Sky Sports.

“If he wants to cement his legacy, I’m here and ready. I’ve built myself into this position.”

But the 32-year-old Fury told Sky Sports last year that he wanted a lengthy world title reign like Wladimir Klitschko.

“Klitschko did it until he was 40,” said Fury who ended the Ukrainian’s dominance with a points win in 2015.

Continue Reading

SPORT

Ex-Italy Defender Bellugi’s Legs Amputated After COVID-19 Complications

Peter Okunoren

Published

on

Former Italy and Inter Milan defender Mauro Bellugi revealed on Tuesday that both his legs had been amputated following coronavirus complications.

Bellugi, 70, was hospitalized on November 4 after contracting Covid-19, with doctors forced to carry out a double amputation following a worsening of pre-existing conditions.

“They also took off my leg with which I scored against Borussia Moenchengladbach,” said Bellugi of a goal scored for Inter in the European Cup in November 1971.

Bellugi, who also played for Bologna and Napoli during the 1960s and 1970s, went on to become a football pundit.

“I will wear prostheses like those of (Oscar) Pistorius, so I will overtake you in the corridors of the television studios,” he told journalist Luca Serafini on altropensiero.net.

Bellugi won the Serie A title with Inter in 1971 and also played for Italy in the World Cup of 1974 and 1978.

AFP

Continue Reading

Most Popular