Connect with us

BIG STORY

Woman Who Accused Her Husband Of Kidnapping, Using Their Kids For Rituals In Viral Video Is Suffering From Mental Illness — Police

Peter Okunoren

Published

on

The police have said that a woman, Justina Emmanuel, who accused her husband, Joseph Agugom, and his brother Paul, of kidnapping her and her daughter, Munachisom, for ritual purposes in the Lawanson area of Surulere, Lagos State, is suffering from mental illness.

The brothers, the police said, were conveying her to hospital with her hands tied to her back when Justina raised the alarm that she was being kidnapped.

Passers-by, who responded to the woman’s cry, were seen in a video footage, which trended on the Internet over the weekend, beating up Joseph and Paul and almost lynching them.

In the footage, Justina, whose hands were tied behind her back, accused her husband of engaging in money rituals, adding that he had already used two of their children for the purpose.

“He is my husband, but I don’t know that he has been engaging in money rituals. I gave birth to three children; he had taken two of our children,” she said.

However, the state Police Public Relations Officer, Bala Elkana, in a statement on Sunday, said investigation revealed that Justina was suffering from mental illness, adding that she was being taken to hospital when she raised the alarm that prompted passers-by to force the car to a halt and started assaulting the brothers.

While condemning members of the public for taking the laws into their hands by subjecting the brothers to jungle justice, Elkana said the command had launched a manhunt for those who assaulted the brothers.

The PPRO said, “On Thursday June 6, 2019, around 12.45pm, the command’s control room received a distress call that a mob action was going on at the Lawanson junction, Itire. An anti-crime patrol team led by the Divisional Police Officer, Itire, CSP Odey Ogah, was promptly deployed in the scene.

“One Justina Emmanuel of No. 10 Bishop Okogie Street, Ago, and her one-and-half-year-old daughter, Munachisom Agugom, were rescued. Two suspects, Joseph Agugom and Paul Agugom, were rescued from the mob. They were alleged to have kidnapped the victims for ritual purposes.

“One Honda CRV car with number plate Lagos FST 587 BU, one LG Phone, one iPhone, one bag containing two flasks, three pieces of rope, one black paramilitary belt and one green beret were recovered.

“Preliminary investigation revealed that the victim is married to one of the suspects, Joseph Agugom, and the child belongs to both of them. It was also revealed that the victim was suffering from mental illness and she was being conveyed to hospital when she raised the alarm and some members of the public stopped the car and descended on the suspects.

“Members of both the suspects and victim’s families came to the station and made statements to the effect that the victim was suffering from mental illness and was actually being conveyed to hospital. The other two children the victim had with her husband were brought to the station contrary to the allegation of the victim that they were killed by the husband for money rituals.

“The victim was taken to hospital by the police for medical examination. The police have launched a manhunt for those who participated in the mob action with a view to bringing them to justice.”

In another development, the command said 16 suspected cultists were arrested by its personnel during a clash in the Ikorodu area of the state.

The suspects include Adewale Afisi, Adewale Rufai, Seun Balogun, Sunday Vincent, Ige Olalekan, Kolawole Gbenga, and Olarewaju Ibrahim.

Others are Obi Joshua, Adetunji Ojo, Idowu Olarewaju, Pelumi Dada, Tijani Alabi, Taiwo Adejowo, Yinka Adebayo, Ekele Merit and Muyideen Saliu.

In a related development, men of the command also arrested five suspected traffic robbers for unlawfully dispossessing residents of their valuables in the Shomolu and Ikorodu areas of the state.

The suspects were identified as Ayomide Olamipo, 21; Ogundiran Timileyin, 22; Blessing Ndubusi, 16; Tobi Onileowo, 26; and Olakunle Ayo, 25.

The PPRO said all the suspects would be charged to court after the completion of investigations.

Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

BIG STORY

I’ll Retrieve My Senate Mandate And Become Kogi Governor …Dino Melaye Reacts To Tribunal Sack Order

Avatar

Published

on

The Kogi State National Assembly/State Assembly Election Petition Tribunal sitting in Abuja has sacked Dino Melaye as the representative of the Kogi West senatorial district in the Senate.

Melaye beat his closest challenger, Smart Adeyemi, and other candidates in the election that was conducted on February 23, 2019 for a second term in the upper legislative chamber.

However, Mr. Melaye has allayed the fears of his supporters saying, “no cause for alarm”.

In a twitter message immediately after the tribunal ruling, Melaye wrote;

“On Tribunal judgement. No cause for alarm at all. Even if it went my way they will still go to the Appeal Court. Our mandate cannot be taken. We will get judgment at the Appeal Court.

There will be a fresh election in Kogi West because I will be governor. For my senate mandate, no shaking.”

Adeyemi filed a petition before the tribunal to contest the result, alleging that the process was plagued with irregularities and disorganizations.

The tribunal agreed with him and annulled the election in a ruling delivered on Friday, August 23.

In a unanimous judgment, the three-member panel, led by Justice A. O. Chijioke, ordered for a fresh election to be conducted in the district.

Continue Reading

BIG STORY

BREAKING: Tribunal Sacks Dino Melaye As Kogi West Senator, Orders Fresh Election

Avatar

Published

on

The Kogi State National Assembly/State Assembly Election Petition Tribunal has nullified the election of Senator Dino Melaye representing Kogi West senatorial district.

Recall that Dino Melaye polled a total of 85,395 votes to defeat his APC opponent who scored 66,902 votes.

But the APC candidate, Sam Adeyemi proceeded to challenge the declaration on three grounds of irregularities, overvoting and non-compliance with the Electoral Act.

According to Vanguard, the three-man panel led by Justice A. O. Chijioke, in a unanimous judgment on Friday, accepted Adeyemi’s ground and ordered for another election in the senatorial district.

Details later…

Continue Reading

BIG STORY

Okorocha Stole N1trillion From Imo State, He Must Account For All His Evil Deeds —– Gov Ihedioha

Peter Okunoren

Published

on

Imo State Governor, Emeka Ihedioha, has accused former Governor Rochas Okorocha, of stealing N1trillion while in power.

This was contained in a statement on Friday issued by his Special Adviser on Media, Steve Osuji.

“Available records show that in eight years, former Governor Okorocha mismanaged about One Trillion Naira belonging to Imo State”, he said.

“We are taking our time in unveiling the numerous atrocities of the last administration and certainly, he must answer for all the evil he did against the people of Imo State.

“It is very strange that a former Governor could sit and concoct lies. How could Governor Emeka Ihedioha spend N2.8b on sanitation? What was it used for? Okorocha’s problem is that he is so used to lies that he no longer knows the difference between lies and the truth.

“The state spends only about Twenty-Five Million Naira on sanitation and the bulk of the funds come from support from corporate organizations as part of their corporate social responsibility.

“Okorocha also alleged that Governor Ihedioha has, within two months in office, built a Hotel in Abuja and new houses in Owerri and his village. This further shows that the man, Okorocha is sick.

“As at today, Governor Ihedioha operates from his private residence in Owerri, following the pillage and vandalisation of Government House by former Governor Okorocha and his cronies.

“How could he say the Governor is building new houses when he owns a palatial residence in Owerri, where he operates from and mansions in his village, built many years ago? The question is – are houses built in two months?

“Only Okorocha can build a house in two months and it collapses after a short while. Imo people already know that Okorocha is a habitual liar and should not be taken seriously.

“The truth is that Okorocha wrecked Imo State. All he is doing is to attempt to divert the attention of Imo people. Unfortunately, Imo people are smarter than that.

“He also claimed that Governor Ihedioha did not win the last election. So who won? He cannot get over the fact that his puppet in-law failed; he is also in pains that he has not been able to extend his dynasty in Imo.

“But no amount of falsehood will deter the people’s governor, Ihedioha from fulfilling his electoral promise of rebuilding Imo State. The present administration shall remain on course in its efforts to recover Imo people’s funds and property looted by Rochas Okorocha and his cronies,” he said.

Continue Reading

Most Popular